News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yep...Brampton is not building any transit.......all of the sites that have launched and seen no activity in Brampton are on Zum lines.

Zum now is what VIVA in Markham was 5-10 years ago. Yes, Markham was building along the corridor at that stage, but it really wasn't until the Rapidway plans were announced/confirmed/began construction that the boom really started.

I may be confusing coincidence with causality, but that's my interpretation of it.

One of the funnier projects that sort of shows the lack of demand for condos in Brampton is one the city actually fought.

In the early 2000s there was no bigger issue than a condo project on Sandalwood Pkwy at Conestoga. The in place zoning was for a little over 400 units....the developer wanted over 1,000 (later scaled that request back to a little over 800)....city fought it based on location and NIMBYism.....city lost at the OMB.....4 full years after the OMB decision not one piece of dirt has been moved, not one sales hut erected and not one unit has been put up for sale.......I presume this developer learned what others have.....there is very little condo demand (outside of condo-townhomes) in Brampton and a lot of effort (on both sides) was for naught.

The other sites I know of are one near the Bramalea City Centre, one on Queen about mid-point between Kennedy and Centre and 2 that would overlook the DT GO station....all approved by the city (in some cases quite some time ago) but have managed to ride out the GTAs condo boom without ever seeing one bit of construction.

In the past 10 years what sort of "high" rise development has Brampton seen? 2 new public housing projects....2 new rental projects by Medallion (one is getting a phase II now so I guess 3)....the Mattamy project at Queen and Kennedy and the Inzola project just west of it (both of these were absorbed quite slowly). There is a conversion of a rental building just south of Queen on Kennedy but I can't think of any others.

Lots of sites....high rise land is cheaper than in other GTA municipalities...a willing city (if the projects are along Queen or in the "core") but no activity....my spidy senses tell me it is a demand issue.

Last edited:
Lots of sites....high rise land is cheaper than in other GTA municipalities...a willing city (if the projects are along Queen or in the "core") but no activity....my spidy senses tell me it is a demand issue.

Interesting background. Yes I would agree with you that it seems to be a demand issue, but I would suspect that demand is closely tied to the lack of good transit. When you look at who typically buys condos, they're people who generally want to live a more urban lifestyle, which includes taking transit or walking more than somebody who buys a 4 bedroom suburban house on a cul-de-sac.

Zum has become a decent option if you're going somewhere within Brampton, or down to Mississauga, or to the GO station downtown, but it isn't that great for external connections otherwise. And even if you do get to GO, the lack of all-day two-way creates an even bigger deterrent. And even if you do choose to drive, the 410 and 401 in that area are a nightmare.

I think Zum will become a lot more effective in 2015/16 when something closer to AD2W GO service to Brampton begins, and the Spadina extension opens. At least then Zum will be able to shuttle people to an 'external' connection on either end of the 501. That shift may help with the pace of condo sales.

Interesting background. Yes I would agree with you that it seems to be a demand issue, but I would suspect that demand is closely tied to the lack of good transit. When you look at who typically buys condos, they're people who generally want to live a more urban lifestyle, which includes taking transit or walking more than somebody who buys a 4 bedroom suburban house on a cul-de-sac.

Zum has become a decent option if you're going somewhere within Brampton, or down to Mississauga, or to the GO station downtown, but it isn't that great for external connections otherwise.

Uh, York University? Vaughan?

doubt it, a new bridge for the northbound overpass is being to the east of the existing one. MTO isn't going to rip that down shortly after building it

The 400 will probably always feed into 11, it is way, way busier than the 400 after the split anyway (roughly 40,000 AADT instead of roughly 20,000 AADT for the 400). Once 11 gets widened to 6 lanes and upgraded to 400 series standards as is planned, it will make even less sense to reconfigure the interchange.

Burlington Skyway:

p7A8Hmq.jpg

Last edited:

Back