News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

In an ideal fantasy scenario, I would want to see the N-S segment of 407 in Mississauga and the E-W segment through Oakville and Burlington bought back by the province.

Curious as to why buying back a portion (but not all) of the 407 is part of your ideal scenario? Spending capital on an existing bit of road that is already serving the public adds no real value other than to lessen the cost to the group of people that use that specific part of the road....so, essentially, shifting province-wide resources to reduce operating costs of a select group of people.

In your opinion, should it connect with Highway 404 as well? Because there's not really a E-W connection between Hwy 400 and Hwy 404 between Major Mackenzie Dr and Davis Dr/Green Ln (or future Bradford Bypass)

Yes I think it would need to connect to the 404. Also I would bypass the whole 403/QEW/407 mess all together and either a) loop the GTA West highway around the lake connecting up with the Mid Penninsula highway somewhere near Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge/Guelph or b) connect directly to the Burlington skyway at a 5 way connection where the 407/QEW/403 now meet.

Yes I think it would need to connect to the 404. Also I would bypass the whole 403/QEW/407 mess all together and either a) loop the GTA West highway around the lake connecting up with the Mid Penninsula highway somewhere near Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge/Guelph or b) connect directly to the Burlington skyway at a 5 way connection where the 407/QEW/403 now meet.
A fantasy map like this?
highway-fantasy-map-jpg.141398

Edit: This map really shows an obvious missing link between the Gardiner/DVP and 401/413/2 through Scarborough. Of course, the only potential connection is a tunnel under the rail corridor, but that's not happening by any chance.

Last edited:
^ That map negates much of the value of the Niagara escarpment and any attempt to pave through there would elicit a very loud negative response.

A fantasy map like this?
highway-fantasy-map-jpg.141398

Edit: This map really shows an obvious missing link between the Gardiner/DVP and 401/413/2 through Scarborough. Of course, the only potential connection is a tunnel under the rail corridor, but that's not happening by any chance.
Something like that yes

Yes, but anything similar to what was proposed is unlikely to happen. Tunneled is the only realistic alternative.
If you bring up tunneling, people will bring up a subway instead. RER on the Lakeshore East line at 5-10 min headways will carry way more people out of the city than the Scarborough Expressway. It'll never happen as expressways are unsustainable for future growth.

If you bring up tunneling, people will bring up a subway instead. RER on the Lakeshore East line at 5-10 min headways will carry way more people out of the city than the Scarborough Expressway. It'll never happen as expressways are unsustainable for future growth.
I completely agree that LSE RER at 5 min frequencies is 100% the better option, but I'm just pointing out a potential missing highway link in this hypothetical highway network fantasy.

What's the construction on the 401 east bound collector at Keele?

Curious as to why buying back a portion (but not all) of the 407 is part of your ideal scenario? Spending capital on an existing bit of road that is already serving the public adds no real value other than to lessen the cost to the group of people that use that specific part of the road....so, essentially, shifting province-wide resources to reduce operating costs of a select group of people.

A theoretical buying back of the western portion of 407 would be done in conjunction with construction of the 413 (GTA West route) that was planned to begin at the 401-407 interchange. The rationale is to create a more unified and continuous road network in the western GTA, particularly for those commuting into or away from western Mississauga and into Brampton. The 413 would then have direct N-S access to QEW, 403 and the 401 before traversing north through western Brampton towards the 410 and 400.

Buying back the western 407 through Halton allows for a more direct connection to Highway 403, providing a seamless route from Burlington to the 410. The rationale here is to provide an adequate E-W alternative to the QEW which will only get worse traffic-wise in the coming decades. After the HOV lanes were added, there isn't much room to add an additional lane. The N-S 403 through Mississauga is also a pretty big bottleneck, partly because of the awkward 403-407 interchange.

Again, my rationale is to optimize the road network and prepare for an influx of people into the Western GTA and Halton over the coming decades. The aim is not to lower operating costs for 407 users in those sections; rather this is a pretty underused segment of highway that perhaps would be better off in provincial hands and integrated into the existing highway network in a more meaningful way. It would seemingly be easier to buy back this section of 407 than the heavily traveled central segment. I'm not familiar with travel data on this portion however.

Last edited:
A theoretical buying back of the western portion of 407 would be done in conjunction with construction of the 413 (GTA West route) that begins at the 401-407 interchange. The rationale is to create a more unified and continuous road network in the western GTA, particularly for those commuting into or away from western Mississauga and into Brampton. The 413 would then have direct N-S access to QEW, 403 and the 401 before traversing north through western Brampton towards the 410 and 400.

Buying back the western 407 through Halton allows for a more direct connection to Highway 403, providing a seamless route from Burlington to the 410. The rationale here is to provide an adequate E-W alternative to the QEW which will only get worse traffic-wise in the coming decades. After the HOV lanes were added, there isn't much room to add an additional lane. The N-S 403 through Mississauga is also a pretty big bottleneck, partly because of the awkward 403-407 interchange.

Again, my rationale is to optimize the road network and prepare for an influx of people into the Western GTA and Halton over the coming decades. The aim is not to lower operating costs for 407 users in those sections; rather this is a pretty underused segment of highway that perhaps would be better off in provincial hands and integrated into the existing highway network in a more meaningful way. It would seemingly be easier to buy back this section of 407 than the heavily traveled central segment. I'm not familiar with travel data on this portion however.
I only drive the 410-407-401/403/QEW about 20 times a year....so maybe I am not a good sample size but I find the roads are pretty seemlessly integrated now.....I have never had a problem moving from one to the other and the fact that one of those is owned by a private entity has never caused any confusion or difficulty in getting around the whole western GTA area.....but, again, very small sample size.

I'm doing that route much more often than in the past and finding it quite seamless as well, so add me to your sample size :)

I only drive the 410-407-401/403/QEW about 20 times a year....so maybe I am not a good sample size but I find the roads are pretty seemlessly integrated now.....I have never had a problem moving from one to the other and the fact that one of those is owned by a private entity has never caused any confusion or difficulty in getting around the whole western GTA area.....but, again, very small sample size.

I do the 401-403-407-403-401 every few weeks to get to London

Its quicker at rush hour than
401 all the way,
427-QEW-403, or
401-403-QEW-403-401

Pain? yes. But it is seamless.

Back