News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I drove past the HWY 401 Colonel Talbot Road interchange yesterday and some major progress has been made. It was hard to see everything because I drove past it in the dark, but the concrete columns in the median have been poured for both the new Colonel Talbot and Glanworth Drive overpasses, and the grading for the new Glanworth Drive overpass approach appears to be mostly complete.

The HWY 401 Dorchester Road interchange work has also been progressing quickly too, the steel for the new overpass has been up for over a month already, and the work in the median appears to be complete, with the construction zone lane closures already having shifted over to the shoulder lanes.

From the BAYTODAY & Jessica Smith Cross.

I posted this to the 413 thread as well. But this is an interesting article about the motivations and modelling for the 413, the greater problem of growth, congestion, political motivations, urban planning etc. And the fact that study after study has shown that building more 413’s will not solve a problem, where the 413 to be built is really a tool to allow the type of urban planning and sprawl that has existed since the 1940’s and further, to enable those who lobby hardest for these developments to reap the riches of bulldozing new greenfield sites in the hundreds of acres.

Internal Ontario government traffic forecast shows crushing gridlock ahead — even with the 413​

Just 1,200 users to realize the controversial highway’s oft-touted half-hour time savings, the government projects

From the BAYTODAY & Jessica Smith Cross.

I posted this to the 413 thread as well. But this is an interesting article about the motivations and modelling for the 413, the greater problem of growth, congestion, political motivations, urban planning etc. And the fact that study after study has shown that building more 413’s will not solve a problem, where the 413 to be built is really a tool to allow the type of urban planning and sprawl that has existed since the 1940’s and further, to enable those who lobby hardest for these developments to reap the riches of bulldozing new greenfield sites in the hundreds of acres.

Internal Ontario government traffic forecast shows crushing gridlock ahead — even with the 413​

Just 1,200 users to realize the controversial highway’s oft-touted half-hour time savings, the government projects

I'm going to have to dig deeper into the numbers they show here later, but I'm skeptical from the offset because we've seen articles/studies like these before which often completely twist the numbers to show something meaningless. I still remember that study that showed the 413 as "only saving an average of 30s of every commute", a number they got by averaging out every commute that occurs in the GTHA, including those that are nowhere near, and thus couldn't possibly benefit from the 413.

It's not surprising gridlock will continue even after 413 and Bradford Bypass. It's natural for urban freeways like 401 to remain congested as they are the easiest and mode direct mode of travel. It's more about providing enhanced access, increasing volume, and allowing for development to meet provincial & federal growth goals.

I'm going to have to dig deeper into the numbers they show here later, but I'm skeptical from the offset because we've seen articles/studies like these before which often completely twist the numbers to show something meaningless. I still remember that study that showed the 413 as "only saving an average of 30s of every commute", a number they got by averaging out every commute that occurs in the GTHA, including those that are nowhere near, and thus couldn't possibly benefit from the 413.
I've done some basic math calculations, and it would save me about 4-5 minutes on MY personal commute between where I live to my workplace, over taking the conventional roads... about 2-3 over taking 407... what numbers I would like to see... but again I benefit from it cause I live right next to where the highway is going up..

I would like to see
Travel time of end to end of taking 413 from Milton to 400, compared to 407 and 401 routing...

Also controversial opinion, I don't think transport trucks should get a free pass on the 407, I constantly see them stagger across all 5 lanes causing the traffic to slow to 90-95 km/hr. Personally i think public transit busses such as GO should get a free pass instead.

Nobody factors in the time saved when there is a crash on the 401 which is every 8 mins it seems, or during any sort of long term construction…

My drive which used to be 30 mins went up to about 50 from 1 lane on the 401 being closed due to the construction

Screenshot_2024-08-18_182221.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-18_182456.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-18_183523.jpg

Last edited:
Nobody factors in the time saved when there is a crash on the 401 which is every 8 mins it seems, or during any sort of long term construction…

My drive which used to be 30 mins went up to about 50 from 1 lane on the 401 being closed due to the construction
Until they stop treating construction as a social employment program, it'll never end.

It also seem like if they only did construction all at the same time every decade, there will be no expertise left as they all have to look for a different job.

Back