News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Will Front Street ever be connected to the Gardiner?

• Yes

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Unsure/Apathetic

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters
I wish they would bury the elavated portion of the Gardiner downtown and have on off ramps for the streets crossing this highway and build a downtown greenbelt for the whold path of this elavated highway. It would cost a lot, but I think the added revenue from all the increased real estate next to this Gardiner green belt might help off-set the cost. The lanes could be added to 4 lanes if it were buried easing congestion and helping business operate more efficiently. Many bonus' to this plan- and one other won would be the aesthetics of our downtown- can't really put a price tag on that.

I'm sad that the Fung Report plan for getting rid of the Gardiner has fallen by the wayside. It would have been a big improvement to the whole area, though it's probably too late now since all of the new condos have turned their back to the highway corridor.

If connecting the Gardiner to Front meant tearing it down east of the Ex, without widening Lakeshore, I'd be all for it.

The Front St extension had merit in it's own right, all the way West to Dufferin. It's a shame NIMBY'ism shot it down.

For burying the Gardiner I go one better and build a bridge out in front of the Humber bay (avoiding the trip around the Humber bay) before meeting land again just West of the EX and immediately heading underground. Then rebuilding Lakeshore Blvd into a grand Boulevard with LRT, tree plantings etc.

The Front St extension had merit in it's own right, all the way West to Dufferin. It's a shame NIMBY'ism shot it down.

So very true. To compound things, the same neighbourhood that fought against the FSE now complain that they do not have enough roads in and out of their area and that they suffer gridlock.

Did the cancelled Front Street extension even connect to Dufferin? I thought it was merely a highway ramp to the Gardiner west of Bathurst.

If they were simply to build Front Street to Dufferin, as a street, instead of an expressway, then that would be different. But that's not what the poorly misnamed "Front Street Extension" was.

Did the cancelled Front Street extension even connect to Dufferin? I thought it was merely a highway ramp to the Gardiner west of Bathurst.

If they were simply to build Front Street to Dufferin, as a street, instead of an expressway, then that would be different. But that's not what the poorly misnamed "Front Street Extension" was.

"Front Street", as extended, would go to Dufferin. It would also include ramps to the Gardiner west of Strachan.

"Front Street", as extended, would go to Dufferin. It would also include ramps to the Gardiner west of Strachan.
Just saw the plan. Wow, that would have been one ugly road to walk along!

It's been cancelled for years now though.

The current study is looking at a simple road in the same location, but only between Dufferin and Strachan (though that may be difficult to achieve with the new overpass, so perhaps only between Dufferin and East Liberty.

Last edited:
If they build this new road, it won't connect to Front Street between Strachan and Bathurst? So will they call it Front Street? or will they be short-term minded and call it something else.

Just saw the plan. Wow, that would have been one ugly road to walk along!

It's been cancelled for years now though.

The current study is looking at a simple road in the same location, but only between Dufferin and Strachan (though that may be difficult to achieve with the new overpass, so perhaps only between Dufferin and Bathurst.

Couple of questions

Will the new road be less ugly to walk along?

If, as you say, it can't get to Strachan, how does it get to Bathurst?

Will the new road be less ugly to walk along?
I'd think so. No expressway ramps to dodge. Can be much narrower. Traffic won't be moving as fast. Presumably there would be parking along the street.

If, as you say, it can't get to Strachan, how does it get to Bathurst?
There's are no plans or intent to connect it to Bathurst. You'd need some kind of very elevated structure or tunnel to do that.

I'd think so. No expressway ramps to dodge. Can be much narrower. Traffic won't be moving as fast. Presumably there would be parking along the street.

There's are no plans or intent to connect it to Bathurst. You'd need some kind of very elevated structure or tunnel to do that.

Sorry, I thought you were saying it would go to Bathurst but not Strachan.

Alternative A and D in the original planning seemed to be pretty decent. Meeting the dual goals of a local street and a alternative connection to the Gardiner.

Sorry, I thought you were saying it would go to Bathurst but not Strachan.
Oops ... I did. Sorry, that was confusing. I was thinking thinking just west of Strachan, where Western Battery and East Liberty meet. Not sure how I typed Bathurst.

The best part of the original plan was that it had "cheques in the bank" funding from all three levels of government (it was one of the projects promised to be completed before the 2008 Olympics irrespective of how the IOC voted).

Not sure what happened to that money in the bank but I would imagine the city will have to fund any new plan on their own.

Back