News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I did know that, actually….. but, some times they are the sole indicator of an HTA restriction that is not signed…. Passing on hills and curves being an example.
If the restriction is in the HTA then there's no need for it to be signed.

I have wondered whether those black and white regulatory signs are ergonomically effective. They serve a legal purpose well - but lane markings and geometry are far better at giving drivers clues that prevent errors…. Wearher permitting, that is.
Indeed road markings are a helpful reminder weather permitting, hence why they exist. But the legal force always needs to come from a sign which people can look for even when the road is salty or snowy, or a general law that drivers are expected to know.

Last edited:
This is St. John's Road (west of Runnymede Road). Note the solid yellow line. Yet the cars around crossing over into the opposite lane because of the parked cars. Should they be ticketed for the "illegal" use of the roadway? Or should they be taken as a "suggestion" only?

From link.

1675786874269.png

Single yellow centre lines have no legal force. They are suggestions only.

In my opinion, they should not paint any centre line on minor streets with speed limits of 40 km/h or below, such as the one in that picture. The lack of centre demarkation forces drivers to be alert to the entire street, not just half of it, encouraging drivers to select a lateral position which is appropriate for the current conditions (bikes, parked cars, etc) rather than an arbitrary line. Removing the centre line may also reduce speeds by making the street look less like an arterial road.

This has nothing to do with roundabouts.

Last edited:
I did know that, actually….. but, some times they are the sole indicator of an HTA restriction that is not signed…. Passing on hills and curves being an example.
I have wondered whether those black and white regulatory signs are ergonomically effective. They serve a legal purpose well - but lane markings and geometry are far better at giving drivers clues that prevent errors…. Wearher permitting, that is.

- Paul
(With apologies for continuing this off-topic romp)

The obvious reason lane markings are just advisory is, obviously, winter. Not every rule of the road (i.e. passing on a hill or curve) requires signage - drivers are expected to know.

This is St. John's Road (west of Runnymede Road). Note the solid yellow line. Yet the cars around crossing over into the opposite lane because of the parked cars. Should they be ticketed for the "illegal" use of the roadway? Or should they be taken as a "suggestion" only?
As mentioned, it has no force in law; it essentially marks the middle of the road. Many paved rural and suburban roads have a solid centre line for their entire length. Even though they aren't enforceable, different zone markings do require some level of traffic engineering input to guide the paint crew, and most smaller municipalities simply don't have that.

This is why I believe we need mandatory driver retesting every 10 years or so. It's not just about reminding people about the rules/behaviours they have forgotten, it's about informing them about the changes which have happened in the previous decade. For example, the HTA was amended in 2016 with changes such as introducing "shark's teeth" yield markings, changing the laws about yielding in crosswalks, designating bicycle signals, etc. But in the absence of driver retraining, it won't be until around 2096 that all licensed drivers are aware of those changes. And yet drivers can be charged with violating any of those new/changed laws today, and lack of knowledge is not a valid legal defense.
One thing I found handy was the flyers included in the MTO registration renewal letter, which highlighted a few significant changes. That's where I learned I now have to wait for a pedestrian to fully exit the roadway at a crossover. But they don't do that anymore. The HTA, and a few others, is regulatory law aimed at millions of people, as opposed to, for example, a regulated industry. Regulatory law is full of exceptions, ya-buts and unique circumstances. I honestly don't know a completely effective way to keep such a wide audience informed.

(With apologies for continuing this off-topic romp)

The obvious reason lane markings are just advisory is, obviously, winter. Not every rule of the road (i.e. passing on a hill or curve) requires signage - drivers are expected to know.

As mentioned, it has no force in law; it essentially marks the middle of the road. Many paved rural and suburban roads have a solid centre line for their entire length. Even though they aren't enforceable, different zone markings do require some level of traffic engineering input to guide the paint crew, and most smaller municipalities simply don't have that.

One thing I found handy was the flyers included in the MTO registration renewal letter, which highlighted a few significant changes. That's where I learned I now have to wait for a pedestrian to fully exit the roadway at a crossover. But they don't do that anymore. The HTA, and a few others, is regulatory law aimed at millions of people, as opposed to, for example, a regulated industry. Regulatory law is full of exceptions, ya-buts and unique circumstances. I honestly don't know a completely effective way to keep such a wide audience informed.

When a pedestrian wonders off the crossover, I don't wait anymore because the pedestrian is no longer in the crossover.

Now if there was a RAISED crossever, I would still have to go slowly over the crossover, instead of putting the pedal to the metal and go.

I don't know, either..... but certainly the five seconds waiting for my Youtube video to play would be well spent with driving tips.

This discussion did send me back to the latest edition of the Ontario Driver's handbook. Its section on Roundabouts does say things that may be true in most cases - but doesn't have qualifiers that would apply in some of the exceptional situations, such as the Hespeller Road roundabout. So I'm better educated, sort of, but feeling that there could be better explanations there also.

I'm happier to say that I did know the difference between a "crossover" and a "crosswalk".... the latter term is often misapplied to mean the place where you push the button and stick out your arm. But I'm quite puzzled about when one must stop and when one can proceed after encountering a pedestrian using a crosswalk, especially when there is an island or light standard in the middle of the roadway. Does one wait until they have reached the far side of the entire roadway? Or just the "half" that the driver will turn into? The Handbook could be clearer on that, and about other things I guess.

- Paul

pedestrianfriendlyroundabouts-1524754712.jpg

Pedestrian Friendly Roundabouts

From link.

Roundabouts have steadily emerged across our nation in recent years and have even become the new norm for many of our communities. The numerous benefits of roundabouts, including continuous traffic flow and decreased severity in crashes, are undeniable. However, there are also some poorly designed examples that showcase why it is crucial to design and construct roundabouts in an exceedingly prudent manner. This holds true, not only for vehicular considerations, but also for pedestrian safety.

There are some misconceptions that roundabouts pose a greater danger to pedestrians than traditional intersections with traffic signal or stop sign control. Roundabouts are a proven way to increase safety and efficiency for all those sharing the road – including pedestrians. Federal Highway Administration and Insurance Institute for Highway Safety studies have shown that properly designed roundabouts result in as much as a 40 percent reduction in pedestrian collisions along with other significant improvements in safety over more traditional intersections.
A proper roundabout design is critical and must consider vehicles and pedestrians equally for a well-balanced solution that provides ample capacity, reduced delay, and increased safety for everyone. Unfortunately, pedestrian considerations are sometimes given a lower priority and are often treated as more of an afterthought rather than an integral component of the design. Below are some guidelines for designing and building a pedestrian friendly roundabout:​
1. Speed Reduction
Design the roundabout approach curves to progressively reduce vehicular speeds prior to entry. Slower speeds at or below 20 mph are much safer and enable pedestrians to find gaps in traffic to safely cross and encourage vehicles to yield to them as they step up to the crosswalk.​
2. Central Island
Place earth fill and architectural features in the central island to make it visible to approaching drivers. A raised central island prevents drivers from seeing all the way through to the other side of the roundabout and encourages them to slow down to negotiate the turns. This places the driver’s focus and attention back to the near side crosswalk rather than looking further ahead through the roundabout.​
3. Splitter Islands
Provide refuge for pedestrians within the splitter islands of sufficient width to accommodate the length of bicycles. The refuge island allows pedestrian and bicycle users to look left first at oncoming traffic, then look right after reaching the island. Negotiating traffic one direction at a time reduces the user stress levels, which can lead to a safer outcome. Raised splitter islands with low landscaping or architectural features can encourage reduced vehicle speeds and make pedestrians feel safer while in the island as long as the low elements don’t block visibility.​
4. Lighting
Install roadway luminaires in the appropriate locations on the approach side of each crosswalk. This ensures that pedestrians are illuminated from the approaching driver’s point of view. Lights installed on the opposite side of the crosswalk will illuminate the wrong side of pedestrians, causing them appear as shadows from the approaching driver’s view.​
5. Crosswalks
Follow FHWA guidelines on placement of crosswalks to allow for one car length or approximately 25 feet from the edge of the circulatory roadway. Vehicle speeds are relatively slow in these locations. Consider raised “speed table” type crosswalks that offer more visibility along with slower speeds that can encourage vehicles to yield to the pedestrians. Speed tables also reduce the need for ADA curb cuts allowing wheelchairs and bicycles to continue through the crossing at sidewalk level.
6. Pedestrian Channelization
Consider adding pedestrian channelization features such as railings, bollard-and-chain barriers, landscaping, planters, or other architectural elements. Such features will guide pedestrians to the appropriate crosswalk locations where scattered or random crossing movements become problematic.​
7. Striping & Signage
Place crosswalk striping and accompanying signs in such a manner as to maximize their visibility to drivers. Consider high-contrast colored and patterned pavement treatments to provide additional visibility for the crosswalks. Advanced warning signs should also be placed to alert drivers they are approaching a roundabout and encourage speed reduction. Striping and signage are absolutely critical to the function of roundabouts and should be refreshed on a regular basis.​
8. Additional Pedestrian Warning Treatments
Consider additional signage and signals in areas of heavier pedestrian movements. Such treatments could range from simple flashing beacons, to pedestrian activated devices such as LED edge lit signs, Rectangular Rapid Flash Beacons, or embedded pavement lights, to full-fledged pedestrian hybrid beacons or “HAWK” signals. If possible, extremely heavy pedestrian volumes should be re-routed away from a roundabout via a tunnel or bridge.​
9. Public involvement and awareness
It is no secret to those in the industry that roundabouts can be a hot-button issue. One way to allay community concerns is to keep residents in the loop through public outreach via the city’s website, social media, and press releases. The FHWA compiled a Roundabouts Outreach & Education Toolbox to help cities and towns gain support for roundabouts, including animated videos.​

I'm happier to say that I did know the difference between a "crossover" and a "crosswalk".... the latter term is often misapplied to mean the place where you push the button and stick out your arm. But I'm quite puzzled about when one must stop and when one can proceed after encountering a pedestrian using a crosswalk, especially when there is an island or light standard in the middle of the roadway. Does one wait until they have reached the far side of the entire roadway? Or just the "half" that the driver will turn into? The Handbook could be clearer on that, and about other things I guess.
The whole 'crossover' vs. crosswalk' thing is unnecessarily confusing. A Pedestrian Crossover is a designated mid-block corridor we typically call a 'crosswalk'. Proceeding when the pedestrian has cleared 'your half' was the old rule; now it is:

140 (1) When a pedestrian is crossing on the roadway within a pedestrian crossover, the driver of a vehicle approaching the crossover,
(a) shall stop before entering the crossover;
(b) shall not overtake another vehicle already stopped at the crossover; and
(c) shall not proceed into the crossover until the pedestrian is no longer on the roadway. 2015, c. 14, s. 39 (1).

There used to be reference to 'safety island' but I don't see it anymore. Keep mind that if it a divided highway, even by a curb, each travelled portion is considered a separate "roadway".

If you are turning, you are probably talking about an intersection. There is no specific rule except a general requirement to yield to a pedestrian in the "crosswalk":

(7) When under this section a driver is permitted to proceed, the driver shall yield the right of way to pedestrians lawfully within a crosswalk.

A big caveat that it has been many years since I had to really care about this stuff (And I never worked in an area with a lot of urban) so I might have missed something, and there might be something in a municipal bylaw that they are empowered to enact.

The new roundabout near here has fairly exaggerated reverse approach curves for one highway because both approaches are a downgrade, and it seems to work quite well to slow vehicles down.

Back