News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I just had the opportunity to drive around in the UK for 6 days so I have a fresh personal perspective on roundabouts:

At first it takes some getting used to, particularly as you are driving on the left side of the road. Navigating my first few multi-lane roundabouts in the London area was I can admit quite stressful.

That said you get used to them after a while. From a philosophical perspective I can see their utility, particularly to rationalize a web of greater than four intersecting routes. However, as much as I kind of miss them my opinion is that they often add undo complexity to the system, particularly in a context such as our own where the roads are generally laid out in a grid system. I can't comprehend how Brits find their way around in unfamiliar cities without navsat (gps) units in their cars. Often the route is complex and the roundabouts when seemingly straight-forward create subtle shifts in direction that render your sense of direction utterly confused.

It makes some sense in a place that, because of existing roads and historic built form must necessarily be complicated. However, I see little point in introducing this element into the road network in all but a few unique circumstances here in the GTA. Basically, simple traffic intersections work better for us in our context.

I just had the opportunity to drive around in the UK for 6 days so I have a fresh personal perspective on roundabouts:

At first it takes some getting used to, particularly as you are driving on the left side of the road. Navigating my first few multi-lane roundabouts in the London area was I can admit quite stressful.

That said you get used to them after a while. From a philosophical perspective I can see their utility, particularly to rationalize a web of greater than four intersecting routes. However, as much as I kind of miss them my opinion is that they often add undo complexity to the system, particularly in a context such as our own where the roads are generally laid out in a grid system. I can't comprehend how Brits find their way around in unfamiliar cities without navsat (gps) units in their cars. Often the route is complex and the roundabouts when seemingly straight-forward create subtle shifts in direction that render your sense of direction utterly confused.

It makes some sense in a place that, because of existing roads and historic built form must necessarily be complicated. However, I see little point in introducing this element into the road network in all but a few unique circumstances here in the GTA. Basically, simple traffic intersections work better for us in our context.

I think that roundabouts will prove very valuable in Toronto as a way of keeping traffic moving. European cities are a lot like Toronto: they have progressive people who want to see pedestrians, cyclists, and transit users prioritized and these ways of getting around are ingrained in the urban culture, yet plenty of people love their cars. There's a lot of traffic within limited space, traffic that includes streetcars, buses, and cyclists. So they implement everything they can to keep traffic moving like roundabouts, making yields ubiquitous on smaller roads rather than stop signs (which are quite rare in European cities), having traffic signals change from yellow to green so that people start moving on the green rather than 5 seconds later. North American cities with grids can also synchronize traffic lights.

Driving is still quite challenging and people are encouraged to take transit, but traffic can move quickly. I think that if Toronto sees a progressive mayor willing to build bike lanes again and prioritize pedestrians and transit, he or she will also have to take these same steps as European cities to do everything to keep traffic moving. Otherwise, the "war on cars" backlash will continue.

Kitchener-Waterloo has no shortage of roundabouts, They still got to work some of the bugs out

Speed limit reduced near roundabout http://www.therecord.com/news/local/article/615571--speed-limit-reduced-near-roundabout

"City of Kitchener staff had suggested a 60 km/h limit along the entire road. The reduced speed will take effect as soon as signs are mounted.

The roundabout at Block Line Road near St. Mary’s High School has seen almost 30 collisions since opening in August, including two in crosswalks. The toll has sparked public outcry about its safety.

Motorists are already advised to drive at 30 km/h or less inside the circle. A speed survey conducted Oct. 18 shows the average speed entering the roundabout from Homer Watson is 30 km/h.

Elsewhere on Homer Watson, average speeds range from 70 km/h to 84 km/h. The fastest stretch is heading away from the roundabout toward Bleams Road.

Politicians have rebuffed calls for a pedestrian walkway or traffic lights at the circle, which is the busiest in the region and the first with three lanes around part of it.

They have agreed to hire temporary crossing guards, review the location of sidewalks and consider new, possibly oversized signs to alert drivers."

I think I said it before in this thread but . . . while roundabouts have their place they are not a panacea for all traffic problems. They are suitable for a certain range of intersections, particularly where there are multiple roads meeting at odd angles, and on roads that don't see a lot of pedestrian or cycling traffic (e.g. rural or ex-urban conditions). Using them indiscriminately anywhere you can fit one in is poor planning.

May 18
There is a tender out for the new art work for Mississauga Roundabout with a max price of $150,000. There are about 23 bidder for this art work with the tender closing next week.

The City need to fix the northbound lanes, as cars fail to obey the right hand turn markings to the point, my car was almost got ran into or clip a number of times while taking some photo Friday night at 9pm. By 915-20, traffic was gone.

The traffic was a nightmare going north on the south side of the roundabout, as well coming out of Sq One.

Very few cars used the Sq One Dr Extension at all.
7225007494_41653301d5_b.jpg

7225005856_a41dffd67c_b.jpg

7225003948_28e290bc4f_b.jpg

[video=youtube;wPU7BfcjODk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPU7BfcjODk[/video]
[video=youtube;dfogpmRsBLo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfogpmRsBLo[/video]

A new roundabout has been built next to the old Labatt brewery lands at Islington and the 401.

ya i took that round about near square one sheridan campus. not use to it yet. oh and nice to see u fixed ur sig drum118.

There are quite a few up near Blue Mountain that have multiple lanes. I felt like I was the only driver who knew how to use them though. Pretty scary going through when you have no idea what the other drivers are doing, not to mention I had to slam on my brakes a few times as some people would panic last minute and brake when there was no oncoming traffic.

Does anyone know if roundabouts are part of the drivers test now? At least in the drivers handbook?

There are quite a few up near Blue Mountain that have multiple lanes. I felt like I was the only driver who knew how to use them though. Pretty scary going through when you have no idea what the other drivers are doing, not to mention I had to slam on my brakes a few times as some people would panic last minute and brake when there was no oncoming traffic.

Does anyone know if roundabouts are part of the drivers test now? At least in the drivers handbook?

I only did my drive test a short while ago and nope, not even mentioned. It might be buried in the book but G1/G2/G tests don't feature them at all.

This reminded me of my years in New Brunswick. On the highway through Fredericton there are some residential streets that exit right onto the highway, http://tinyurl.com/mfrm5xn and the locals would sometimes panic and come to a complete stop on the shoulder, blocking those trying to accelerate and merge safely. Only Darwin can rid us of the idiots.

Just like when we introduced traffic lights, advance green signals and four-way stops signs, people would figure how to use roundabouts. In New Brunswick they are everywhere, including in urban areas (yes they exist) in Fredericton where they're used instead of four way stops. http://www.fredericton.ca/en/transportation/roundabouts.asp

As a motorcyclists in New Brunswick, it was much safer on the roundabouts, with no threat of left hand turners cutting you down.

I only did my drive test a short while ago and nope, not even mentioned. It might be buried in the book but G1/G2/G tests don't feature them at all.

Seems to be a pretty big gap. I mean, the books tell you how to drive around streetcars, yet only Toronto currently has streetcars. You'd think learning how to use a roundabout when so many municipalities have them would be deserving of a mention.

Lawrence and Weston should be a roundabout. It would be a great way to welcome commuters to Weston.

Back