News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration website, at this link, has announced a public meeting on this subject.

We invite you to attend a public meeting and open house to learn more about this exciting project.

Monday, June 17, 2013
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Islington (Fellowship Hall)
3819 Bloor Street West
6:30-9 p.m. Open House
7:30 p.m. Presentation

plan-view.jpg

Attachments

• plan-view.jpg
    plan-view.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 701
I feel like they should have had all three streets intersect at the same point. I think it would have been cool.

A roundabout would facilitate that.

Edit: Ninja-ed by insertnamehere!

Was roundabout even considered or were they not in fashion yet when the EA study was done?

EDIT: Oops, a bit late. Based on a quick scan, I did not see any analysis of the roundabout. It must have been thrown out quite early in the process then, or it was a comment from the public that was not taken seriously.

Last edited:
Was roundabout even considered or were they not in fashion yet when the EA study was done?

EDIT: Oops, a bit late. Based on a quick scan, I did not see any analysis of the roundabout. It must have been thrown out quite early in the process then, or it was a comment from the public that was not taken seriously.

Roundabouts tend to fail spectacularly when one of the streets using it hits capacity which, unfortunately, one of these likely will soon if it isn't there already. The whole `don't enter unless you can exit` rule is difficult to enforce with a signalized intersection and is impossible with a roundabout.

Last edited:
MagicRoundabout-db21882.jpg

Oh Swindon, how I long to run a Reliant Robin through you…

Attachments

• MagicRoundabout-db21882.jpg
    MagicRoundabout-db21882.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 736
The first indication that the Six-Points Interchange was to be rebuilt was back in 2004. Its now 2013. Things... happen... very... slowly... .

I biked through the Six-Points interchange today and it was the scariest thing ever with cars coming at you in all directions...never again!

As someone who travels to the Uk often, I can say even the largest roundabouts (in Manchester, London, and even some in Swindon) have traffic lights on them.

Also, the sheer rage that has been occurring in KW-C over roundabouts would probably be magnified here in Toronto if they even tried something on such a scale.

As someone who travels to the Uk often, I can say even the largest roundabouts (in Manchester, London, and even some in Swindon) have traffic lights on them.
The largest do, but most don't. Really, by the time they hit the huge 3-lane roundabaouts with traffic lights everywhere, another type of intersection my be more appropriate. I can't see anything like the Swindon magic rounaabout being built here ... but it doesn't have lights on the roundabout, only before you enter (at the pedestrian crossing).

Also, the sheer rage that has been occurring in KW-C over roundabouts would probably be magnified here in Toronto if they even tried something on such a scale.
I spend a lot of time in KW. I really haven't heard much rage.

Last edited:

Those roundabouts were never supposed to have traffic lights but when volumes increased they had to be added. Generally in the UK, roundabouts with traffic lights are considered failures.

Seems that these days they're building more Dumbbell interchanges rather than large roundabouts.

I don't know about replacing it with a roundabout but I do know that I don't agree with the new configuration at all.
Bloor(west to Mississauga) is going to end up with a huge increase in through traffic which it clearly was never meant for as it has less capacity than Dundas and the street is lined with residences not commercial properties.

Back