News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Bloor(west to Mississauga) is going to end up with a huge increase in through traffic which it clearly was never meant for as it has less capacity than Dundas and the street is lined with residences not commercial properties.
I've been reading what you wrote, and staring at the plan.

There'd be a bit of an increase. But it is a 4-lane artery. If anything, shouldn't it balance the traffic better between the various roads?

Wow I didn't know there was a plan to redo a lot of the streetscape / the area in general ! hmm, but I guess that doesn't have to go hand and hand with this project.

I wish it had been built so that each of the three streets was continuous through the intersection.

I'm not much liking all the dual left turn lanes, which are (thankfully) rare in the 416. For example, the intersection of Bremner and Spadina isn't much fun and even that has fewer traffic lanes to cross than the Dundas/Bloor/Kipling mess.

Last edited:
Your thinking an intersection with lights? You'd need 3 separate through phases instead of 2, before you start thinking about turn phases.That's a significant capacity reduction.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what your thinking.

What I do not like is that

(A) driving east on Dundas, you have to make a right-hand turn to stay on Dundas.
(B) driving west on Dundas, you have to make a left-hand turn to stay on Dundas

I would have preferred it something more like what I show in the picture, just angle the road so you get rid of those lights there.

preferred.jpg

Attachments

• preferred.jpg
    preferred.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 893
Good point. I wonder what the thought is there, if that land is available.

On satellite maps it appears there is a large residential condo building right at that corner.

In order to make a north to east curve, you are going to have to move the street West and that probably makes the south curve very tight.

Last edited:
What I do not like is that

(A) driving east on Dundas, you have to make a right-hand turn to stay on Dundas.
(B) driving west on Dundas, you have to make a left-hand turn to stay on Dundas

I would have preferred it something more like what I show in the picture, just angle the road so you get rid of those lights there.

View attachment 14943

I wonder if a traffic engineer would say that the major traffic lights are too close together to operate properly.

On satellite maps it appears there is a large residential condo building right at that corner.

In order to make a north to east curve, you are going to have to move the street West and that probably makes the south curve very tight.

The land on the west side of Dunbloor is open so they could use that;
Dundas-Bloor.jpg

Heck I'd even prefer this option over the city's plan;
Bloor-Dundas.jpg

Sure it might be confusing for Bloor to change into Dundas and vice versa. A name switch could solve this and beside why the heck did they make these street cross over each other and twice at that in the first place!? But other than that it would still be a better option traffic flow-wise (than the city plan, imo)

Attachments

• Bloor-Dundas.jpg
    Bloor-Dundas.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 769
  • Dundas-Bloor.jpg
    Dundas-Bloor.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 740
Last edited:
Your option 1 I like.
Your option 2 I very much dislike. Being on one street and ending up on another makes no sense to me, especially when we could make both streets continuous.

Changing either name is just plain silly. If you change either street to the west, you'd cross many municipal boundaries (for Dundas) and one (for Bloor). Changing them to the east would require changing street names downtown. Neither of those is going to happen.

Therefore I'd keep each street continuous. I'm happy that Bloor and Kipling are, but it frustrates me that more wasn't done to keep Dundas continuous.

Your option 1 I like.
Your option 2 I very much dislike. Being on one street and ending up on another makes no sense to me, especially when we could make both streets continuous.

Changing either name is just plain silly. If you change either street to the west, you'd cross many municipal boundaries (for Dundas) and one (for Bloor). Changing them to the east would require changing street names downtown. Neither of those is going to happen.

Therefore I'd keep each street continuous. I'm happy that Bloor and Kipling are, but it frustrates me that more wasn't done to keep Dundas continuous.
Changing the names of street is much more expensive than you think. Some of the names are literally written on stone.

.... beside why the heck did they make these street cross over each other and twice at that in the first place!?

Dundas was put together from about 7 or 8 different streets, and basically traces a historic (Ojibwa?) trail. Creating and naming a continuous route, despite the fact that it isn't straight, was one of those things that the City did right a long time ago.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back