News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

We should just save our money and get rid of the police altogether.
It would be nice to see our taxpayer dollars sent to the TPS working. More than 10% of every property tax dollar goes to the TPS, but you rarely see them outside of their cars or bicycles unless they're playing traffic cone at a condo site. I want to see beat cops, walking the neighborhood reminding and enforcing laws.

Last edited:
Don't forget about how some people pay the homeless to line up for a product launch (often electronics such as new smartphones or video games) on their behalf.
I wonder if any of that went down today at EB Games? No way I'd wait in that contagion conga line.

I drove to work three days this past week and noticed a significant reduction in roadside panhandlers. Those I did see didn't stand a chance, as there was no traffic to solicit. At the Eglinton exit from the Allen I didn't have to slow the car from above Lawrence until I took the turn towards Bathurst.

I wonder if any of that went down today at EB Games? No way I'd wait in that contagion conga line.
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is released today. I downloaded it on my Nintendo Switch. Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a very casual life simulation sandbox game, which is very zen and ideal for playing during the pandemic.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is released today. I downloaded it on my Nintendo Switch. Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a very casual life simulation sandbox game, which is very zen and ideal for playing during the pandemic.
My daughters both have Animal Crossing on their NDS. No Switch devices yet.

I suppose part of the problem is enforcement. The cops can write all the offence notices they want but the recipients are largely people who either can't afford the fine and/or don't care about paying it if they could.
I had dinner with my wife’s cousin last night. He’s TPS at HQ. I asked him why, why do I see TPS actively ignore roadside and in-traffic begging when it’s clearly against the SSA? He said the patrol officers are instructed to ignore it unless the public calls it in. So that’s it, if we want roadside begging to be dealt with, it’s up to us.

I had dinner with my wife’s cousin last night. He’s TPS at HQ. I asked him why, why do I see TPS actively ignore roadside and in-traffic begging when it’s clearly against the SSA? He said the patrol officers are instructed to ignore it unless the public calls it in. So that’s it, if we want roadside begging to be dealt with, it’s up to us.
Not sure that this is really the best use of police time myself.

Not sure that this is really the best use of police time myself.
That can certainly be argued. But in that case we should debate and repeal the law against roadside solicitation, and other laws/bylaws on public nuisance, such as camping in parks, littering, obstruction, public urination, etc.; not ignore them at TPS' discretion.

Last edited:
That can certainly be argued. But in that case we should debate and repeal the law against roadside solicitation, and other laws/bylaws on public nuisance, such as camping in parks, littering, obstruction, public urination, etc.; not ignore them at TPS' discretion.
Happy to see you’re the only one really bugged by this.

I am also not convinced the TPS's effectiveness is really being maximized. I know there is some really hard work and challenging situations they have to deal with and for that I am genuinely thankful - but generally my only actual experience is just seeing them clock time guarding a construction site or staking out the local speedtrap. I see their budget go up and up every year and wonder what am I getting for it? If only I could retire when they do with the pension they have!

Happy to see you’re the only one really bugged by this.
I'm glad for your happiness. But the status quo depends on your and our apathy. Here in downtown east petty property crime is rampant, with parcels, bicycles and whatnot being stolen from backyards and porches. The TPS could walk the beat at night, but they won't leave their cars. I link this to the general malaise and decline of downtown east, where the laws don't seem to matter. If we don't want such behaviour in our neighbourhood, we need to demand more from our police.
I am more concerned by TPS’s choice to ignore most traffic violations
Me too. But we're equally apathetic here. The TPS does not care if you or I are concerned.

I'm glad for your happiness. But the status quo depends on your and our apathy. Here in downtown east petty property crime is rampant, with parcels, bicycles and whatnot being stolen from backyards and porches. The TPS could walk the beat at night, but they won't leave their cars. I link this to the general malaise and decline of downtown east, where the laws don't seem to matter. If we don't want such behaviour in our neighbourhood, we need to demand more from our police.

Me too. But we're equally apathetic here. The TPS does not care if you or I are concerned.
You can chose to provide more services to help people or you can chose to live in a police state. I think I know your choice which is hard to understand from someone who chose to live urban. You should come to suburbia. Everyone thinks like you. Hence why they left the city.

Reactions: T3G
Of course, the difference between all of the activities you just mentioned and roadside solicitation is that you are free to ignore people who engage in roadside solicitation, which is very easy to do, whereas you are not free to ignore a street that reeks of urine, or someone obstructing your way.

I think I know....
And there's where you went off the rails. What you think is relevant only to yourself, but if it's knowledge you seek, just ask. FWIW, I'm on record here advocating for increased property taxation and city resources to be dedicated to addressing housing and emergency services for our less fortunate downtown neighbours. I consistently vote for left leaning candidates and financially support organizations that try to help. It is a shame that you connect living urban with assumed societal decay, that somehow through living in the city the residents should accept vandalism, sh#t in Dundas Square stairwells, beggars, encampments, addicts, litter, and overall shabbiness, akin to some Gotham-like dystopia. But I've been to cities that seemingly work, so I do not accept this, and I want it fixed. I want the laws enforced, I want the people helped, double my property tax if necessary, and a right to housing enshrined in the Constitution. As for this specific topic, we're not getting away from panhandlers anytime soon, but I'd like them to kept out of the middle of the road, it's already had fatal consequences. You appear to confuse candour with callousness.

Last edited:
And there's where you went off the rails. What you think is relevant only to yourself, but if it's knowledge you seek, just ask. FWIW, I'm on record here advocating for increased property taxation and city resources to be dedicated to addressing housing and emergency services for our less fortunate downtown neighbours. I consistently vote for left leaning candidates and financially support organizations that try to help. It is a shame that you connect living urban with assumed societal decay, that somehow through living in the city the residents should accept vandalism, sh#t in Dundas Square stairwells, beggars, encampments, addicts, litter, and overall shabbiness, akin to some Gotham-like dystopia. But I've been to cities that seemingly work, so I do not accept this, and I want it fixed. I want the laws enforced, I want the people helped, and a right to housing enshrined in the Constitution. As for this specific topic, we're not getting away from panhandlers anytime soon, but I'd like them to kept out of the middle of the road, it's already had fatal consequences.
You still want panhandling enforced. This is a big waste of police resources. Court resources. Theoretical jail space if the person kept ignoring the “enforcement”. I just don’t get it. To paint Toronto as of its somehow Gotham makes me think you want the city to be a giant yorkville where the streets are constantly clean and the only people you see are like yourself (property owners or people who can afford rent).

Back