News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I think you're confusing "the city as a whole should embrace pride" with 'we should Clockwork Orange everyone into being pro-LGBT'. I'm talking about overall statistical trends in our population shifting toward greater acceptance, not every single individual human having to believe the same thing.
So, why try then to force Ford to attend something he doesn't want to?

I don't doubt that McGuinty has attended one of the many low-key pride events that get scant coverage but what excuse does he have for not attending the main event - the Pride Parade :confused:

Why didn't he attend last year :confused:

Has he ever - as premier - attended the parade :confused:

If he has attended Pride in the past why is he avoiding it now like the plague :confused:

How am I "spreading anti-gay hatred" :mad: by pointing out that McGuinty is snubbing the Pride parade once again :confused:

Has our premier ever made comments similar to what our mayor has made in the past?

If he has attended Pride in the past why is he avoiding it now like the plague
Why the lies? McGuinty attended some Pride events last year. He spoken out in the past very positively about Pride, and has gone out of his way to publicly make funding available, criticizing other levels of government for failing to do so.

How can you possibly compare this to Rob Ford, who seems to do the exact opposite? I fail to understand why Ford's toadies, are so quick to defend his anti-gay stance.

And that's why you shouldn't read trash journalism like the Sun

McGuinty may not have attended the parade last year, but he did attend other pride events last year. Good grief, there's you-tube video of him at one:

[video=youtube;rttq4vIC2S4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rttq4vIC2S4[/video]

As far as I know McGuinty has attended the parade in previous years.

I'd suggest reading a real newspaper, and not trying to spread this anti-gay hatred that those at the Sun write.
Yes, the Toronto Sun is better used as toilet paper than as a source of information.

Why the lies? McGuinty attended some Pride events last year. He spoken out in the past very positively about Pride, and has gone out of his way to publicly make funding available, criticizing other levels of government for failing to do so.

How can you possibly compare this to Rob Ford, who seems to do the exact opposite? I fail to understand why Ford's toadies, are so quick to defend his anti-gay stance.

I wasn't "lying"!

I acknowledged that McGuinty has attended low-key pride week events that get zero media coverage but it is also a FACT that McGuinty is NOT attending this years PARADE and McGuinty did not attend last years PARADE.

Has McGuinty ever taken part in the PARADE?

If so why is he NOW avoiding the PARADE like the plague?

I am NOT defending Ford at all. I am just pointing out the FACT that McGuinty does not want to be associated with the PARADE and I can only imagine this is for political reasons.

McGuinty does not want to alienate the growing number of "new Canadians" who come from intolerant cultures where being gay is considered a crime (in some countries punishable by death). McGuinty does not want to alienate this new group of voters. It was this group who helped in large part to elect Rob Ford because they would not vote for a homosexual opponent.

While McGuinty couldn't fit the Pride PARADE into his busy schedule last year it is noteworthy that he didn't miss out on any of the hokey "Bollywood" events or the crime-ridden Caribana parade.

Last edited:
Could you stop with the over-populated friggin' smilies? And trying to defend Ford by saying 'see, other people are dicks, too?' If you want to start a 'McGuinty not to attend Pride (again)' thread, knock yourself out. But don't try to defend Ford by shifting the blame -- he still needs to attend Pride, Caribana, and the Santa Claus parade, rather than just the Santa parade. He's the friggin' Mayor.

I am not "defending" Ford. I said in my first sentence on this subject that Ford should attend the parade. There is no excuse for him not to. What I don't like is how other politicians, such as our "Liberal" premier get a free pass for dodging the pride PARADE . Oh sure, McGuilty will put in an obligatory appearance at one of the many pride week events that get zero media coverage but when , if ever, has McGuinty participated in the PARADE? (sending George Smitherman or Glen Murray to act as an emissary doesn't count).

McGuinty does not want to alienate the growing number of "new Canadians" who come from intolerant cultures where being gay is considered a crime (in some countries punishable by death). McGuinty does not want to alienate this new group of voters. It was this group who helped in large part to elect Rob Ford because they would not vote for a homosexual opponent.

Where did you get this from?!

What I don't like is how other politicians, such as our "Liberal" premier get a free pass for dodging the pride PARADE . Oh sure, McGuilty will put in an obligatory appearance at one of the many pride week events that get zero media coverage but when , if ever, has McGuinty participated in the PARADE? (sending George Smitherman or Glen Murray to act as an emissary doesn't count).

Isn't it more appropriate that the MPP for Toronto Centre possibly attend these big community events downtown as opposed to the Premier of the Province? Once again, is he required to attend hundreds of these large events each year all over the Province?

Where did you get this from?!

Purely from observing the changing Canadian political landscape over the years. Harper won his majority in large part thanks to this new group of voters who come from countries and cultures that are intolerant of gays ( Ironically, Harpers "point man" for this group is his minister of immigration who is widely rumored to be a closeted gay !)

Isn't it more appropriate that the MPP for Toronto Centre possibly attend these big community events downtown as opposed to the Premier of the Province? Once again, is he required to attend hundreds of these large events each year all over the Province?

No it is not more appropriate.

If the Governor of New York, Andrew Cuomo, can find time to take part in NYC's pride PARADE what is McGuinty's excuse for not attending Toronto's pride parade?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwVnAaEtv80

Oh sure, McGuinty will turn up at some low-key pride-week event (wearing a CONSERVATIVE suit as we see in the video above!) but when has he ever taken part in the ACTUAL parade?

If McGuinty ever particpated in the actual PARADE (as opposed to a cocktail reception) in the past why is he shunning the PARADE now?

The pride PARADE is not just "one of hundreds" of major events. It is the biggest single day event in Downtown Toronto. If McGuinty can find time to take part in the crime-ridden Caribana parade and last years hokey "Bollywood" events , why does he shun the pride parade?

Food for thought :)

Last edited:
I just want to point out that most of the genes in modern Greeks originated from the Slavic invasions of the early Middle Ages, when there was an almost complete population replacement, with much of the rest of the modern Greek genetic inheritance coming from the various ethnic groups under the Turkish rule of the late Middle Age to Early Modern era.

The genetic contribution of the Classic Greeks is actually quite small, as can be seen by reading the descriptions of the Greek people in Homer and later Classic authors -- a lot of blonds and redheads, typical of the earlier Indo-European chariot tribes, but quite unlike the modern population.

Not that I am disputing your argument, I'm simply correcting a small matter of fact.
If I have this right, you're claiming that the (allegedly) mostly blond and redheaded ancient Greeks were replaced virtually wholesale in the 6th century by the invading Slavs, And even though blond hair was and is a distinguishing feature of many Slavs, the modern Greeks that arose from this blond-on-blond process somehow stopped producing blonds.

Then there's the question of why the Greek language didn't disappear after this "almost complete population replacement" supposedly occurred. Who would have been left to teach Greek to the conquerors if the Greeks had been almost completely vanquished, and why would the Slavs even care about learning it?

Sound like you've read too much Fallmerayer.

Purely from observing the changing Canadian political landscape over the years. Harper won his majority in large part thanks to this new group of voters who come from countries and cultures that are intolerant of gays ( Ironically, Harpers "point man" for this group is his minister of immigration who is widely rumored to be a closeted gay !)

No it is not more appropriate.

If the Governor of New York, Andrew Cuomo, can find time to take part in NYC's pride PARADE what is McGuinty's excuse for not attending Toronto's pride parade?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwVnAaEtv80

Oh sure, McGuinty will turn up at some low-key pride-week event (wearing a CONSERVATIVE suit as we see in the video above!) but when has he ever taken part in the ACTUAL parade?

If McGuinty ever particpated in the actual PARADE (as opposed to a cocktail reception) in the past why is he shunning the PARADE now?

The pride PARADE is not just "one of hundreds" of major events. It is the biggest single day event in Downtown Toronto. If McGuinty can find time to take part in the crime-ridden Caribana parade and last years hokey "Bollywood" events , why does he shun the pride parade?

Food for thought :)

I think you made your point by now. Your name for the Ontario NDP leader crossed the line.

At this point, there's no way to convince Ford to show up to the parade. But a concilitatory showing at the flag raising in front of his office should be the least Ford can do. McGuinty at least has been to the parade, and one could argue in his defense (besides the point that, at least in my opinion, there's no need to show to the parade itself every year), he appointed three openly gay MPPs to his cabinets (two of whom are serving now).

The thing is, not a lot of immigrants are all that willing to throw the gays under the bus. They are minorities themselves in many cases. A 'live and let live' approach is probably the best strategy for most, regardless of what one's personal or cultural biases are.

... and as for the changing Canadian political landscape how do you account for what happened recently in the Alberta election? There may be irritant factions arguing for white supremacy or anti-gay policies but in the end they are losing a larger battle that is arguing for tolerance and diversity. Harper is a smart dude (no question) and I'm sure he's taking note of this.

Back