News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wow... home run for Smitherman's campaign. That's the kind of quotes people need to see. Rob Ford is Rob Ford's worst enemy, the other candidates just need to point it out. Finally somebody did.

Wow... home run for Smitherman's campaign. That's the kind of quotes people need to see. Rob Ford is Rob Ford's worst enemy, the other candidates just need to point it out. Finally somebody did.

Wow. I heard about the bike one but I didn't know the others.

I caught that interview too and didn't find her to be 'ranting' or belligerent at all, and quite the opposite in fact. It was Jerry who would barely let her get a word in edgewise and explain her point of view which presumably is why he had her on his show in the first place. The truly belligerent individuals were Jerry and Sue-Anne Levy who was nothing short of insulting, quite frankly.

If you managed to hear the viewpoint of Helen Kennedy over the rantings and ravings of the other two it was simply that she believes in a separation of religion and state (which is sort of fundamentally what we're about in N. America after all, no?) and that religious belief should never trump basic rights, no matter how much of a 'majority' any one religious belief may represent. The fact that Ford has a belief system is not a problem - we all do - but that he voiced or espoused one while running for office is unacceptable. The mayor is elected and paid for his/her ability to serve all citizens regardless of perspective. Quite simply, his comments call into question his judgement and his ability to do this. In the context of previous comments he has made this is not an unreasonable doubt.

But she was not talking about the separation of state and religion. She was outraged that no person that believed in traditiional marriage was fit to be mayor of the city.

Especially a city as diverse as Toronto and when Jerry commented that nearly half the population still believes in the traditional concept of marriage, she completely disregarded this and said she didn't want him to be mayor and that he was threat to gay rights. And Jerry tried to get from her what evidence she had that Ford was out to get gays and destroy their rights.

Jerry then played back an earlier discussion when Ford was on the show that morning where he very clearly said that while he believes in traditional marriage he understood that gays have relationships and families to each their own. He finished by simply repeating that he just believed in traditional marriage due to his upbringing and that was that.

She heard this clip and then continued on her rant that Ford was a threat to gays and he wasn't fit to be mayor. And this is when Agar started pressing her on her dismissive attitude to the other half of the population that felt differently from her. He then said that she didn't truly believe in being accepting of all diversity otherwise she would have respected that half the population feels differently about same sex marriage.

And still she continued with her anti-Ford rhetoric. Look, I'm not the biggest Agar fan. His fascination with everything pure capitalist gets on my nerves and he makes some stupid commentary at times. They all do.

But in this case, he was dealing with a condescending and pretentious woman who was taking it upon herself to speak for the entire population on what was acceptable as a mayor due their personal belief in traditional marraige. And Jerry had to point out several times that Ford has a right to a personal belief and so does everyone else. This is what defines true diversity. Whether this is a good thing or not remains open for debate.

Gay rights are protected by law. Ford has zero control over this. There is no threat from Ford towards gays. I know that people interpret things differently but this woman was not an open minded individual.

She has a singular view and you either share it or else. Intolerance goes both ways. If you believe in all forms of diversity in our society and truly treasure the right in having different views, opinions and beliefs and its expression you cannot go around trying to deny other' rights to participate just because their views differ from your own.

What I've noticed over time is a trend where people who claim to believe in a liberal democracy with the right to expression, speech, beliefs and respect for cultural and ethnic differences often behave contrary to that belief.

Last edited:
Smitherman's playing hardball with his campaign's new http://www.fordonford.com site:

orientals.jpg

The Asian community should be incensed that Team Smitherman apparently equates them to being like panda bears per that image. The hypocrisy of Ford's detractors seems to have no end.

The "anyone but Ford" scene is misguided. After all, we could do a lot worse:
[video=youtube;KHhQTHV4Q2c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHhQTHV4Q2c&feature=related[/video]

NO MORE LIES!! :cool:

While everyone else is attacking you from another front (and making good sense while doing it), I'd like to challenge your claim that "dysfunctional behaviour" is running rampant these days. By what metric? Crime? Graduation Rates? Cultural achievements? What?

Says a lot that Rob Ford has got us arguing about gay marriage again. What direction would he take this city?

What measuring stick to gauge dsyfunctional behaviour? How about these observations I've noticed the last few years.

Endless failed relationships. Marriages that collapse with such regularity. The tramping of girls and women with the goal of convincing them that by sleeping around as often as possible, guys will like you. The number of boys that drop out school while girls begin to dominate post secondary education.

That we worship Hollywood and all the endless trash that it represents and how we allow our young kids to think the glorification of trash is actually a good thing. That we pursure the collection of material wealth to the exlusion of everything else. That we as a society have huge substance abuses problems that are spinning out of control. That we as a society are entirely about excess now.

That we keep sexualizing girls at a younger and younger age. The loss of shame. No one is embarrased anymore. The cult of entitlement and cult of victemhood that's sweeping our society now.

The sheer insanity of what passes for behaviour on the roads and sidewalks. The disappearance of manners. The increase of vulgarity and compartmentalization of families. The continued deterioration of language skills. The increase of narcissistic individuals who were raised by parents that told them they were the most special person ever or as some have coined the term for "the precious snowflakes".

That we've been conditioned to act on every impulse and to cry "discrimination" when we don't get our way.

That parents seem completely unable to say "no" to their kids now. The loss of common sense. The emergence of the parachute parent. And as Mike Stafford, the funniest man on radio said recently about the WTF? behaviour of so many young people and their parents these days, "we, the greatest generation ever, just utterly ruined this generation". Not exactly science but you get my drift.

But I'm just some old, benighted conservative fool that dreams fondly of the good old days when people actually possessed some modesty and restraint.

Last edited:
Team Smitherman are obviously holding back the really juicy quotes for later in the campaign--eg the personal attacks on other councillors and the acc incident.

But I'm just some old, benighted conservative fool that dreams fondly of the good old days when people actually possessed some modesty and restraint.

I'm confused. What do you mean by the "good ol' days" The time when women could not vote? When women stayed at home cooking,cleaning, and popping benzedrine pills? I guess you mean the good ol' days of the civil rights struggle for blacks?

What good ol' days?

When the City of Toronto was first appeared in 1834, the mayor was selected by the city council. William Lyon McKenzie won by the majority of city council at the time. Of course, the council terms at the time was for one year at a time, the city electors voted each New Year's Day for city council. So each year, there was a council vote for a mayor.

By Rob Ford saying council is corrupt and other nasty stuff, he would not have the confidence of council behind him. If there was a vote of confidence, like what they have at the provincial and federal levels of government, he would not win.

Last edited:

Back