News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if TPS told the Catholic board to get Ford away from their schools and kids.

If he actually worked for more than 3 hours a day he could wear this T-shirt. It would save reporters lots of time.

i_don_t_know_nothin_i_just_work_here_tshirt-p235185484013919198zvul8_400.jpg

Attachments

• i_don_t_know_nothin_i_just_work_here_tshirt-p235185484013919198zvul8_400.jpg
    i_don_t_know_nothin_i_just_work_here_tshirt-p235185484013919198zvul8_400.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 479
High school students aged 13 - 18. I was surprised by the number, but the findings are in line with several other studies.

At least three separate studies that I've seen concluded that 12% - 14% of Canadian high school students admit to being LGBT. I'll try to dig up the links to them as a reference. The surveys were done at random schools by handing out questionnaires to all the students in the class. I have yet to see any that have come up with conflicting conclusions.

It's also in line with a study commissioned by the National Post that showed that the younger you are, the more likely you are to identify as LGBT. Only 2% of people 65+ identified as LGBT; this gradually increased to 10% as you got to 20 year old age group. Makes sense that the next youngest age group would be in the 12% - 15% area.

And remember, these numbers only represent people who've admitted to being LGBT. I think it's fair to conclude that there are quite a few who lied given the homophobia that still exists.
and kids being kids, they may say there are but are not. I find it hard to believe 15% or more are gay. I think that those that are might want the number to be higher or at least spread the work that it is. In the future you will have people saying 50% and people will believe it. How could the population have increased so much if that were true. I wonder if they will someday figure out genetically how people turn out to be gay. For sure they will.

I like to be a rationalist. I was very skeptical at first, but given the several studies from credible groups it's hard for me not to accept it. Especially since I can't find any data from Canada that conflicts with their findings. But I can understand your skepticism. Go to any high school and you'll probably have few willing to admit that they're LGBT in front of their peers. If anything it means that we still have a long way to go till they're fully equal. They obviously don't feel comfortable being open about their sexuality. This is why I take issue with Ford's refusal to suport Pride. Our political leaders are naturally people who these kids look up to and all Ford is doing is making them even more uncomfortable about who they are.

and kids being kids, they may say there are but are not.

I seriously doubt this. Given the homophobia in our classrooms, do you really think that any significant amount of students would say they they're gay when they're not. Sure, a few dozen may have said they're gay when they're really straight. But the amount of gays who lied and said they're straight would obviously be a much greater number.

I find it hard to believe 15% or more are gay. I think that those that are might want the number to be higher or at least spread the work that it is.

As I said before, multiple studies are in line with the finding that at least 12%- 14% of students admit to being LGBT. Including the National Post, a conservative newspaper. I don't think there's any kind of conspiracy to inflate the numbers.

In the future you will have people saying 50% and people will believe it. How could the population have increased so much if that were true. I wonder if they will someday figure out genetically how people turn out to be gay. For sure they will.

Nobody has suggested that it would be that high. And I don't think that the population has increased at all. They've just hidden it. LGBT are among the most oppressed groups in human history. Why would anybody want to accept they're LGBT when they know the entire village would stone you to death?

Last edited:
and kids being kids, they may say there are but are not. I find it hard to believe 15% or more are gay. I think that those that are might want the number to be higher or at least spread the work that it is. In the future you will have people saying 50% and people will believe it. How could the population have increased so much if that were true. I wonder if they will someday figure out genetically how people turn out to be gay. For sure they will.

15% would seem high to most middle aged folks, but recall that whatever numbers you've ever had are surely under-estimated, given the long-standing negativity on the whole gay thing with the older generations. and given your comment, i'm assuming you're quite old, so it's possible that you're missing a lot of what's happening in youth culture right now, especially in the better parts of cities or in prosperous suburbs where there's very little stigma attached to same-sex attraction, and the traditional "gay" identity is fading/never caught on (to the point that "out" is sort of losing its meaning), and young people can/do really explore and experiment. i could see 15% responding in that context, for sure. anyway, dumb discussion.

as for rob ford, i think the importance of the 15 windsor raid is hard to understate. i mean, look at it:
- the mayor is accused of doing drugs at or near that place;
- the place is owned/inhabited by his longtime friends, who he says are normal;
- according to the media, the place is a known drug house and the inhabitants are creeps;
- the police raid the place as part of a massive drug/weapons raid.

i mean, this story has been going every day for a month and the contents of the police investigations are still under wraps, the video has yet to surface, and noone on ford's staff has yet spoken to the media in any meaningful way! by the time it's done, this guy is going to go from national laughingstock to a national by-word for catastrophe and lunacy in public figures, basically a slag on his ilk forever: "my opponent seems to come from the rob ford school of government."

I think the B and Q of the LGBTQ pushes the numbers up in younger populations: more bi and questioning self-identification that may settle out to G/L or Str8 as they grow older. But even if the total is 10% or 6% that's still, for example, 10 or 6 times the Jewish Population, and more than Chinese, Italians, etc. It galls me to see anyone dismiss the right of any minority, but I'm appalled at the mayors attitude towards the LGBTQ community.

As to cause, it seems several studies have focused on a combination genetic plus gestational environment theory. Twin studies show that if 1 twin is gay, an identical twin is twice as likely to be gay vs. a fraternal twin. But they generally rule out it being entirely genetic else the incidence of both identical twins being gay would be higher.

You know what I've come to realize... almost EVERYTHING related to Ford, the crack tape, and any surveillance showing comings/goings by his staff into and out of the building on Dixon are now "evidence", but in a case that is completely unrelated. By executing the raid, literally everything related to Ford and 320 Dixon is now totally sealed and will not see the light of day until the end of the trials - and who knows how long that will be? If this was all one giant coverup for Ford, it'd be a hell of a ballsy move. Call everything in the building "evidence", lock it down and out of the public's view, drag the trial out for 5 years, and by then maybe it's lost its potency.

I'm not saying that's what happened, and I don't really believe the conspiracies - but I can certainly see how it could help Ford's situation.
This. I know how long it can take from arrest until trial. Now, if I was Blair, and I was the least bit Machiavellian, I'd drag out the discovery and the case, freezing the evidence, and hold it like the Sword of Damocles over the mayor's head for the rest of his term.

15% would seem high to most middle aged folks, but recall that whatever numbers you've ever had are surely under-estimated, given the long-standing negativity on the whole gay thing with the older generations.

This really makes me wonder exactly how many people are LGBT. If we did this study 50 years ago, you'd be lucky to have 2% of students admit. Now that we've progressed on the issue we have 14% admitting. But there's still a huge stigma around being LGBT. The real amount is anybody's guess. It's certainly much higher than 14%

Ford's actions regarding the LGBT community makes me sick. Probably more than most groups in Toronto, they need our full support. But all he has done is showing vile disdain to this group of people who represent a significant part of our city. I don't know how anybody can live with themselves if they support the oppression of such a large group of people.

Last edited:
What surprises me is hearing that 15 Windsor was raided today as well. I wonder how the media didn't pick up on this considering how close it is to 320 Dixon. Also strange that only CBC is reporting that 15 Windsor was raided today. If it true this is very significant.

Toronto ombudsman: Rob Ford got TCHC facts wrong while angrily defending evictions

Ford missed most of the debate on the report on Wednesday. He participated Thursday but skipped the vote. The report was endorsed 34-2, with Councillor Doug Ford and Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday against.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha..._wrong_while_angrily_defending_evictions.html

like the guy went to council, screamed at councilors and defended a position that even the tchc won't defend, didn't know what was in the report, didn't stick around to vote on it and, anyway, he's so marginalized on council that the only two people supporting his position are his brother and the deputy mayor who is, presumably, a whipped vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back