News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a huge discrepancy in the initial allegations of the crack video, as John Cook said the speaker off camera said the "Justin Trudeau is a fag" line. Right now, this is an unproven and highly suspect allegation (the Trudeau line, not the video).

Based on what I remember about all the witness accounts, this seems like the most likely scenario. But the "f*cking minorities" crack was all Ford.

Having said that, I don't think that Ford is homophobic or racist, at least if you interpret both words in terms of hate. Ford likely has some weird ideas about gay people, which is still a problem, and he obviously has no clue about the importance of the Pride parade (let's just stop the argument on that right here...the parade is one of the premier events in Toronto every summer). But to jump from that to outright hate is a bit of a stretch, I think. Maybe I'm being naive.

Adaax:

Except homophobia doesn't equate to outright hate necessarily.

he obviously has no clue about the importance of the Pride parade

He would have to be on crack if he still doesn't have a clue after all these years - and if an event with 100000+ attendees isn't important to the city, I don't know what is. Quite frankly though, at this stage I'd rather him stay as far away as possible - his endorsement of anything is pretty much a touch of death in my books.

AoD

Last edited:
I'm sick of hearing this nonsense about Ford being homophobic.

Name one thing he has ever said that is homophobic.

He made one comment that is statistically true (in regards to AIDS) and that seems to be the entire basis for calling him homophobic.

I think it comes down to your definition. If "homophobic" by your definition means outright hatred or fear of gay people, you may be technically correct. But if you widen the definition to include ignorance, I think Ford's pretty guilty.

Looking at the AIDS statement, first of all, it's not statistically accurate. It may have been at one time, but it's not true now, nor was it in 2006 when he said it. AIDS and HIV was/is growing among many segments of the population, including straight women, both here and in the developing world. When Ford was confronted with these facts, he just doubled down, again, revealing his ignorance. He attributed the rise in HIV rates among women to "sleeping with bi-sexual men".

Also the implication in the statement is that IV drug users and gay people aren't worth spending prevention money on. To me, that goes beyond ignorance.

As far as his refusal to attend Pride events, I think it's more complicated than just saying he's homophobic. I think he's just slotted "gay people" into a monolithic group that thinks and acts the same way. When really, there's old and young, rich and poor, left and right, etc.. within the gay community. They own businesses, pay taxes and have families. But he may just think they are all just a bunch of weirdos whom he has nothing in common with.

By this point, his obstinacy on the issue sort of makes his refusal to attend a given. He's too dug in to change his mind, and if decided to attend, it would look like it was forced on him. And I don't think organizers really want him there if he needs to be shamed into doing it.

He also said he supports traditional marriage and offered support to a fundamentalist Christian pastor who said same-sex marriage could "dismantle" a "healthy democratic civilization." Appearing alongside Pastor Wendell Brereton, Ford said "We're together. We have the same thoughts."

And let's not forget his comments on transgendered people as well as those referring to a video about homosexuality in the Asian Community. He said it was "disgusting."

I think it's pretty fair to say he's at the very least incredibly ignorant and a bigot.

"a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race"

Last edited:
bellwoodian:

Well said. As to the latter point - I certainly wouldn't want to invite someone whom I am about to critique. The time for diplomacy is long past, and he can't blame Pride for not trying to build bridges.

James_D:

Well, I didn't know lying is moral, but there you have it - an interesting bag of contradictions, that one.

AoD

Last edited:
Shitstorms

Things seem slow right now, with speculation and all. Inductive reasoning leads me to believe the next big Ford break is just around the corner...

We’re at a SHITSTORMS* score of 4 right now – if it reaches 5 days watch out…

Reporters like to tweet for a variety of reasons. It creates engagement with the readers, provides an instant feedback loop on stories that are breaking and additional context on published reports. The frequency of tweets will vary based on what’s breaking/in market, and also depending on how busy the tweeter is. One assumes that a reporter who is working on a story or on deadline won’t have a lot of free time to muck around with social media.

So, let’s look at one of the central reporters on the City Hall beat. Daniel Dale and Don Peat tweet every time they take a piss so there’s a bit too much noise in their feeds. However, Robyn Doolittle has just enough activity so that her twitter breaks stand out.

From Jan 1 to Jun 23rd Robyn has publicly posted 894 tweets, or about 5.1 per day. However, they are lumpy – a third of her days have no tweets, and another half are 7-tweet days or less. As one would expect, her days of highest activity are generally during Ford’s court dates, council meetings and just after major stories break.

Sometimes she takes a few days off in a row. In 2013 she’s gone on twitter breaks of three days or more only seven times:

Jan 4-6: Ford’s COI appeal landed on the 7th
Feb 10-12 and Feb 15-18: She was on vacation
Mar 21-25: Garrison Ball story broke on the 26th (5 day streak!)
Apr 7-9: Looks random
Jun 8-12: Project Traveler broke on the 13th (5 day streak!)
Jun 21-23 (and counting): ?

In other words, the only things that have kept her off Twitter for extended periods in the last six months are a vacation and preparing to break major Rob Ford stories. Today marks four days of silence – anyone know if she’s at the cottage or in her office?

*See How I Taper Sending Tweets on Really Massive Stories

In other words, the only things that have kept her off Twitter for extended periods in the last six months are a vacation and preparing to break major Rob Ford stories. Today marks four days of silence – anyone know if she’s at the cottage or in her office?

I don't know that this kind of tea-leaf reading is all that accurate, however fun it may be. I think we'll know something new if/when something new happens -- speculation about stories based on the lack of reporters' tweets may entertain, but probably doesn't actually inform.

CowboyLogic: He's obviously heteronormative (I don’t think the term homophobic is precise enough [although, with Ford, homophobic probably literally applies as well]). It’s crystal clear if you’ve paid attention to Ford over the years. When a politician is actively, passionately ignorant (in the sense of ignoring) and close-minded about a disadvantaged group, she/he is against that group. He doesn't have to be killing people in order to be heteronormative. Raise your standards for consideration.

Tulse: It has the potential for informing, and if not then there's no harm; it's at least entertainment. I don't see the problem.

Tulse: It has the potential for informing, and if not then there's no harm; it's at least entertainment. I don't see the problem.
I don't think there's any real harm, except that it may make things seem far more exciting than they actually are. I don't think that anyone benefits from wild speculation, especially when the stakes are so high. But that's just me.

So rob dragged himself to the flag raising in an empty, reluctant gesture. I guess Sunday will see rob and doug patting themselves on the back and declaring 'no one supports the gays more than me!"

I'm sick of hearing this nonsense about Ford being homophobic.

Name one thing he has ever said that is homophobic.

He made one comment that is statistically true (in regards to AIDS) and that seems to be the entire basis for calling him homophobic.

There was a huge discrepancy in the initial allegations of the crack video, as John Cook said the speaker off camera said the "Justin Trudeau is a fag" line. Right now, this is an unproven and highly suspect allegation (the Trudeau line, not the video).

Well there was that one time where he said something that essentially amounted to gays deserve to get AIDS, implying that they all deserve to die.

Of course that's not homophobic at all. He's telling the truth. Anybody who isn't exactly like Rob Ford deserves to die.

/sarcasm

Wait, you mean there are gays running free in our city, I thought we had interment camps to keep our children safe. Calk up another failure for Ford.

(humour people)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back