News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eug, how often do you drive on Eglinton on that stretch? I don't use it to commute but I'm on it several times a week. There is simply an excess of capacity for traffic on that road right now. It's not as good as St. Clair to the south (which feels like it could be an autobahn at times it's so empty) but its hardly congested. The biggest amount of congestion on Eglinton is from the busses, IMO.

2 lanes in each direction, with *no busses*, is going to flow very very smoothly indeed.
I work mid-town, and live in the Scarborough Bluffs. Therefore, to go home, the simplest route for me is to go east on Eglinton. In rush hour in the afternoon, that Eglinton stretch is often quite slow. Even with a dedicated HOV lane for busses, quite often it's very backed up. And if it rains, it sometimes getting near being a parking lot.

In fact, for that reason I don't drive that way most of the time anymore. I usually go through smaller streets to get home. During the LRT contruction period, it's going to be a major disaster. Dunno about after an LRT is finished, but like I said, the concern amongst commuters using that route isn't unwarranted.

So, no, it is not over-capacity by any means, unless you're talking only about off-peak hours, when commuters are allowed to use the HOV lanes. Then it becomes effectively a 6-lane road with no delays at all.

Last edited:
People in Scarborough would have a new LRT to look forward to in what, a year? If it weren't for Ford and Stintz?

The original plan was in time for panam games. McGuinty delayed funding for MoveOntario 2020, plus municipalites that were promised money for LRT's realized they were in over there heads in commiting to that time schedule for completion.
Sheppard LRT line had started and McGuinty had personally showed up for the ground breaking so that one got to continue.

Miller's decision to not run for re-election, opened up LRT's as an election issue.

The story is still unfolding.

I work mid-town, and live in the Scarborough Bluffs. Therefore, to go home, the simplest route for me is to go east on Eglinton. In rush hour in the afternoon, that Eglinton stretch is often quite slow. Even with a dedicated HOV lane for busses, quite often it's quite backed up.

In fact, for that reason I don't drive that way most of the time anymore. I usually go through smaller streets to get home. During the LRT contruction period, it's going to be a major disaster. Dunno about after an LRT is finished, but like I said, the concern amongst commuters using that route isn't unwarranted.

So, no, it is not over-capacity by any means, unless you're talking only about off-peak hours, when commuters are allowed to use the HOV lanes. Then it becomes effectively a 6-lane road with no delays at all.

Thanks. As I said, I don't often drive on Eglinton during M-F peak rush hour, but I am often on it around 6pm on weekdays and any time of the day on weekends. It never feels slow to me at these times.

I also worked at Sheppard&Don Mills during a lot of the Sheppard subway construction - yes it is no fun, whether or not the construction is above or below ground :)

The original plan was in time for panam games. McGuinty delayed funding for MoveOntario 2020, plus municipalites that were promised money for LRT's realized they were in over there heads in commiting to that time schedule for completion.

That's not how I remember it. Ford's unilateral declaration that "Transit City is dead" his first day of office created the ~4 year delay in Sheppard LRT and SRT replacement. There was no delay in funding from the province, only a reduction from $12B to $9B (exact numbers IIRC which I may not)

I also worked at Sheppard&Don Mills during a lot of the Sheppard subway construction - yes it is no fun, whether or not the construction is above or below ground :)
That's a good point, and something you won't see Ford mentioning. He'll talk about how above-ground will disrupt traffic, but below-ground will too -- Union Station, anyone?

? Metrolinx themselves say that Eglinton East will be reduced to 1-lane in each direction for periods during LRT construction, and after it's completed, Eglinton will be reduced permanently to 2 lanes in each direction whereas currently it is 2 + HOV. Metrolinx does seems to believe traffic will flow similarly before and after construction of the LRT, but a lot of Scarberians are skeptical. That skepticism is not unwarranted IMO.

I was referring to the Scar LRT, not ECLRT for the reason of my laughing - and Ford was also referring to the Scarborough LRT specifically. But on the topic of Eglinton (in Scarborough), I'm sort of with you. I'm sceptically optimistic. I've been up there on weekends, and all three lanes are fairly full at times, but mainly around the big box sites. Will removal of buses and HOV lane be negligible? I'm not sure - and don't necessarily care. I already avoid that street like the plague now because it's brutal, not with congestion, but with careless/bad drivers.

Sorry, what do you want me to respond to exactly? I've already addressed the "traditional marriage" issue.
The whole question was about Rob Ford being a bigot. My question was in response to your statement that "He's never said anything explicitly homophobic".

So you admit that you were wrong and he has said stuff that is explicitly homophobic, and that he is a bigot?

Sorry, I had missed your admission that you knowingly support a bigot.

Last edited:
I already avoid that street like the plague now because it's brutal, not with congestion, but with careless/bad drivers.

Oh yes - that I can certainly agree with. I've never seen so many drivers run a red so carelessly as I do at Eglinton and McCowan. It is scary. In fact, that might be a nice side-effect of the LRT - slow down traffic so bad drivers are made at least slightly less potentially-lethal!

Thanks. As I said, I don't often drive on Eglinton during M-F peak rush hour, but I am often on it around 6pm on weekdays and any time of the day on weekends. It never feels slow to me at these times.
There are good days and bad days. 4:30ish to 5:30 pm is the worst. 6 pm is sometimes bad, but sometimes not so bad. 6:30 is fine. 7 pm is free flowing because the HOV lane changes to a general use lane.

In the morning going westward from Scarborough it's usually OK though. There are often delays, but not as heavy duty as the afternoon rush hour. Well, except west of the Don Valley Parkway, because it gets the feeder traffic from the DVP and Don Mills, etc. and because it narrows to 2 lanes, with somewhat inconveniently placed street parking. Then it can get really congested esp. around 8 am.

It's strange. On places such as Eglinton in mid-town and on parts of Mount Pleasant, the street is wide enough for 2 lanes in each direction and street parking.... except near some intersections. Near those intersections, the street is only wide enough for 1.5 lanes but would be wide enough if they just removed a single parking spot near that intersection. I guess the local shops want as many parking spots as possible, but it really slows down traffic at times.

Oh yes - that I can certainly agree with. I've never seen so many drivers run a red so carelessly as I do at Eglinton and McCowan. It is scary. In fact, that might be a nice side-effect of the LRT - slow down traffic so bad drivers are made at least slightly less potentially-lethal!
Hmm... I've never actually seen anyone run a red light at that intersection, but then again that's further east than where I live, so the only time I go there is to go to the Home Depot there.

Last edited:
Didn't Ford announce yesterday evening (even after Flaherty saying that the $300M wasn't necessarily for Sheppard) that the federal money for the BD expansion would have to be new money not already promised to transit expansion in Toronto?
Does it matter what Rob Ford announces.

He stood before council yesterday and told lies about how the SRT upgrade and extension will remove car lanes. Either the man is a pathlogical liar or a complete moron.

Nothing he says can be taken at face value.

True, but nothing will change at McCowan, the ECLRT doesn't make it that far - for now.

LRT development in this city will always be tainted by the early St. Clair West streetcar hiccups. Suburban right wingers wanted ammo for Miller, and SCW was a perfect example of the anti-car, lane-stipping, forced-lefty-social-experiments culture permeating from City Hall. The Toronto Sun jumped on it, talk radio jumped on it, and it became a major talking point during the Transit City debates, despite the patently obvious fact that St. Clair West was not LRT.

This misinformation (as we saw yesterday) continues to bog down LRT discussion in the city. Mayor Miller and Metrolinx were ill-prepared for the misinformation spread about LRT and a gullible public - whose only knowledge of above-ground inner-city rail was the streetcar - who ate up the lies.

He stood before council yesterday and told lies about how the SRT upgrade and extension will remove car lanes. Either the man is a pathlogical liar or a complete moron.

In this case, I don't think it was a lie. I think he's just completely ignorant about anything related to transit in this city, while remaining confident that he knows everything. Upthread when someone indicated Ford said he only takes transit a few times a year - that I'm sure is a lie. Has anyone seen him on transit... ever?

Nothing he says can be taken at face value.

Agreed, but the sentiment is being echoed by others, including Stintz. The proof will be in the details around the final vote though.

In this case, I don't think it was a lie. I think he's just completely ignorant about anything related to transit in this city, while remaining confident that he knows everything. Upthread when someone indicated Ford said he only takes transit a few times a year - that I'm sure is a lie. Has anyone seen him on transit... ever?

Agreed, but the sentiment is being echoed by others, including Stintz. The proof will be in the details around the final vote though.

Remember he did stage that clumsy, ham-fisted photo-op when he rode the subway at midnight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back