News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
and explaining that people of the same sex can under certain circumstances be infatuated by one another

Ah, "infatuated" -- gee, it's almost like those kind of people look like they fall in love or something!

I know you think you're helping, but this comment is disgustingly dismissive.

Most homosexuals I know here don't even understand the causes and nature of homosexuality.

And that is relevant why? Why on earth does it matter if homosexuality is innate or learned? It's not your damned business what consenting adults do. Period.

So, 6 months into his first term, do you guys think Ford is the worst mayor in living memory?

So, 6 months into his first term, do you guys think Ford is the worst mayor in living memory?

Yes, I think that is the case, primarily because he is entirely inarticulate. I mean, really, Eggleton was a cruddy mayor too, but at least he could speak publicly.

I don't think Ford has done enough to qualify him as the worst mayor. I think he could be the most important mayor, though -- he's very emblematic of amalgamated Toronto standing at a crossroads. Where we go post-Ford will define the city for a generation.

I wonder what the million plus in attendance will tell Ford. One wonders if some kind of fall-of-Ceausescu situation awaits him (no, not the firing squad part, but...
Hitler in his bunker?

The media seems to bend over backwards to avoid the truth of Rob Ford's bigotry ... though the've come a lot closer in the last fortnight of calling a spade a spade.
Someone jumping off the other side of the cliff you are jumping from could easily say you just revealed your bigotry against blacks.

... or someone fresh off the boat ...)
...and that term could be taken as offensive to any number of ethnic groups.

Running for mayor are you?

Ford is being taken to task by former mayors and by others in high profile positions, for not supporting a segment of the population that is generally marginalized, and very well he should be taken to task for such a slight. He is not mayor of all the people, by any stretch. The constant criticism to which Ford will now be subjected - on many fronts - is bound to take a toll on him. He won't get a second term.
That could just as well work the other way -- he may have solidified winning a second term.

But it's way too early to tell.

Eggleton was a cruddy mayor too, but at least he could speak publicly.
Only when there was a hot blonde nearby!

nfitz wants Ford and everyone else with prejudiced views to be kicked out of office. Accept that everyone has some kind of prejudiced views/opinions to some extent so there would be no one left in office. nfitz himself would be kicked out of office for holding intolerant views against those that don't share his views.
Stop putting words in my mouth. I've made it very clear that I'm talking about prejudice in areas covered by hate crime laws. Anti-black, anti-gay, anti-women ...

Is your case so weak that you have to invent my position and then attack that instead?

Why such a blatant attempt to misdirect the discussion into areas where it wasn't?

Many factors contributed to Ford's election win including:

-Consistent campaign and 'vision', including his rant sessions on a.m. 640 for the previous 4 years.
-lack of credible competitors, Smitherman was tarnished (and corrupt) and Pantalone was just the 'same old' (and corrupt)
-A previous Mayor(Miller) that 'progressed' too quickly for the rest/parts of the city, which in turn created the 'backlash' that we now know as 'Ford Nation'.
-Great grass roots support, which he built up through his 8 years as councillor

Hopefully, we get someone reasonable like Josh Matlow. Otherwise, we'll probably go back and forth between a Too Left to a Too right Mayor.
A sad reality of the shrinking middle class in our city?

Last edited:
Someone jumping off the other side of the cliff you are jumping from could easily say you just revealed your bigotry against blacks.
??? Apparently from what I've just read a spade in some distant parts of the USA is a derogatory term against blacks in the 1920s ... the phrase though predates this by almost 2,000 years. Clearly I was not using it in this context ... which I've never heard of before.

I'm not sure how Fresh off the Boat is prejudicial ... I'm an immigrant ... and I used that term as recently as last Wednesday to describe people from my own country who are recent arrivals.

I think your trying to deflect the conversation from the issue at hand ... and I question your motives?

The issue with Ford isn't his odd turn of phrase (I've defended him on the Oriental comment before ... and noted that there isn't much if any evidence of him being racist); the issue with Ford is that the actions and direct statements of prejudice that he has made.

Let's not start this whole 'you said x, that's racist' garbage. These phrases are only prejudiced if they are intended to be.

Despite the contretemps over Pride, I don't think that Ford has yet distinguished himself as the worst Toronto mayor in my memory -- that easily goes to Lastman, who was far more of a national and international embarrassment for the city.

Of course, if Ford actually does half the things he's threatened regarding city development, then there's no contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back