News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
in the case of Oxy, there is a ready supply in his own home, so he doesn't need to buy street drugs in this case. he can just dip into his wife's cache....
Seriously?! What's up with her? Another addict (if so, those kids are just genetically doomed) or does she or did she have a legit injury of some kind? You don't see much about Renata (sp?) in the news, with the exception of the recent pic from the Texas trip where she looked equal parts "peeved" and "bored". Or maybe, then, that was just one part "sedated"?

I agree with you 100% that Price is Doug's guy. That said, it is probably worth exploring the Price - Rob relationship, no?

Sure.

What I have heard was Rob was ready to fire Dave Price after the incident with both the CBC and the Sun. It was Doug that told Rob he had to keep him employed. Office staff don't want Dave around even if he is the one bringing coffee.

Speaking of MO staff looks like there as been another internal shuffle. Tom Beyer has moved back to the front desk and Dan Jacobs (former 1010 Producer) is now the EA.

Wonder what cased that move?

http://www.toronto.ca/city_directory/pdf/divisions/mayor.pdf

Sure.

What I have heard was Rob was ready to fire Dave Price after the incident with both the CBC and the Sun. It was Doug that told Rob he had to keep him employed. Office staff don't want Dave around even if he is the one bringing coffee.

Speaking of MO staff looks like there as been another internal shuffle. Tom Beyer has moved back to the front desk and Dan Jacobs (former 1010 Producer) is now the EA.

Wonder what cased that move?

http://www.toronto.ca/city_directory/pdf/divisions/mayor.pdf

I have no inside information on Ford's office (actually, I heard 3rd-hand that Rob spends a lot of time on his couch with his head in his hands), but what you just wrote fits with the image that I've put together over months of observation. Doug clearly calls the shots and Rob's staff (along with the rest of humanity) must loathe him.

Does anyone have any idea why Provost is still there? Why doesn't he quit?

Seriously?! What's up with her?

The question should really be what's up with the female Fords in general. None of them have, to my knowledge, had post secondary education or careers of any sort. They are occasionally trotted out as "happy family" props but the impression is that they have absolutely no say in Deco and are ornamental figureheads.

Coming from a background where women are not on equal footing, it's easy to see where Krista Ford's "don't dress like a whore" comment could have come from.

There's a post in this thread (probably 500 pages back) on someone with an anecdote about Rob and Doug sitting on the sofa demanding their mother bring them beer. I do get the impression the Fords value women for bringing them two things: beer and babies.

I don't know if that's correct. Wasn't it in the news that he wanted to buy parkland behind his house so that he could tear his bungalow down and build much larger home in its place?

I think it was just that he wanted a bigger yard (and a taller fence) to shield the house more from view.

The question should really be what's up with the female Fords in general. None of them have, to my knowledge, had post secondary education or careers of any sort. They are occasionally trotted out as "happy family" props but the impression is that they have absolutely no say in Deco and are ornamental figureheads.

Coming from a background where women are not on equal footing, it's easy to see where Krista Ford's "don't dress like a whore" comment could have come from.

There's a post in this thread (probably 500 pages back) on someone with an anecdote about Rob and Doug sitting on the sofa demanding their mother bring them beer. I do get the impression the Fords value women for bringing them two things: beer and babies.

Renata and her mother have also called the police on Rob in a0coupod of domestic abuse situations.

Battered wives sometimes take a lot prescription drugs.

The situation with Rob is not unusual in a family-run company where some family members do the actual work, and some don't. In Rob's case, they tried him out in a position, he was found wanting and disinterested, and it was in no one's interest (Rob's or the company's) to force him to be there on a full-time basis. So, he gets an allowance (his CFO's salary and whatever dividends or other distributions the company may make), the house is paid for (but not huge, because the rest of the family is paying for it), and he got another job (the councillor position, to which he's not unsuited, and the mayoralty, which is too much for him). He "earns" his CFO salary by attending occasional management meetings, says yes or no based on what the operating managers recommend, and signs some cheques. Under tax laws, that's enough to show that he earns his employment income, and that enables Deco to legitimately pay him some employment income.

His brothers would earn much more, since they actually work in Deco's print and label operations. But, they won't leave him too far under their standard of living, so he has a modest(-ish) house - probably similar to the type of house their sister lives in.

(And if his penury as a councillor wasn't a complete act, which appears somewhat likely given the small size of his staff over that time, then he also is pretty tight with his money anyway, so he would also choose a more modest house.)

That's pretty much what I've heard too, except that Rob was kind of shunted into the political arena to keep him from doing too much damage to the family business (and perhaps also so that the Deco empire would have political influence). Rob himself is on record (pre-mayoralty) as saying he works on Deco's books for just a few hours a week (maybe just enough to qualify as employment?).

I like having my cops paid well. It's a tough job that warrants good pay and good benefits and discourages corruption.

Using a higher rate of pay to eliminate corruption is the same logic as using higher welfare rates to reduce crime and rioting in the streets.

It's an effective technique ... but is it optimal? (perhaps it is).

He'd just run away again. He is a master at refusing to comment.

No I don't think so. It's one thing to say the media is lying and out to get him - relatively speaking, it seems to have been easy for Ford to simply deny that reality. It's a completely different thing to say the police are lying and out to get him - that will not fly with his base.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Using a higher rate of pay to eliminate corruption is the same logic as using higher welfare rates to reduce crime and rioting in the streets.

It's an effective technique ... but is it optimal? (perhaps it is).

Well, unless the pay rate is unreasonably low, the argument that one can be persuaded to not engage in corruption is extremely problematical because it paid a price on corruption (if I get x, I will follow the law; if not, I won't) - and that definitely isn't a modus operandi I would like to see in the police at all.

AoD

Ford Sr was a one term politician, mostly a PC backbencher. His riding was one of the ridings that was abolished when Harris "reduced" government. I have a feeling though that the position didn't offer the power he was wanting, and he found more power in political donations than in being a politician himself.
I also suspect that he was not a law abiding citizen (Neo Conservative, above the law kinda guy). That's the only way to explain how all four of his kids have turned out the way they are.

doug ford sr. came from a poor family... and was one of (i think) 9 kids. i often wonder how he was able to start deco... but more so, i wonder why we don't hear about the rest of the family. that's a lot of aunts and uncles and cousins etc. that we basically know nothing about.

i know there are those on here that want to keep peripheral family out of things, but i'm wondering if and how they fit in to the ford family business and politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back