News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
"No it's because Ontarians and Torontonians pay very low income tax, very low service fees, and in Toronto's case low property tax."

Well, this is certainly a matter that's up for debate. And I'm certainly not trying to be pretentious when I qualify myself in this field as I spend a lot of time studying government spending and looking at the research in these areas.

I can tell you that the evidence that the city gets better workers, with better skills, and a stronger commitment to their job than those working at equivalent jobs in the private sector is not very good. Even Scandinavians countries like Sweden have higher levels of private sector service delivery than either the United States or Canada, for this reason. But this issue is orthogonal to tax burden.

Depending on which way you slice it, when you factor in all benefits, city workers make 20-30% more than they would doing the exact same thing in the private sector. If you were simply to pay them, say, 8% more than they would make in the private sector, you could close Toronto's fiscal gab with no tax increases and no service reductions.

If you want to stick to an ideological position that the government should pay more than private sector equivalents, then fine. And if you want to demand that people pay more taxes, then fine. But it's probably not worth us arguing those points since we likely have a disagreement on first principles. I'll only say I think it's unfair for a bureaucrat working at a car insurance company who does the same job as a bureaucrat working at municipal licensing to make less than his public sector counterpart and pay more tax dollars to subsidize his unionized, municipally employed doppleganger.

No, it's nothing more than a fairy tale. You'll have unqualified people that will take them longer to do the job and cost more in training them properly. Do you know why companies like to keep some older experienced staff? Do you have any clue what the cost is of training a brand new employee.

Well, as I said earlier, I've never seen a reputable study in my experience that backs up this position which is broadly associated with progressive economists. Except for non-peer reviewed, non-transparent, so-called studies that come out of organizes such as CUPE, OPSEU and the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives. Which all have a vested interested in taking said position. Having big labour and an economic think tank which is largely funded by big labour that says that paying public sector workers more is good for everybody, is sort of like the tobacco industry funding a study on how healthy cigarettes are.

No, I said we should educate people who succumb to rhetoric.
You could be the first ;)

How have I succumbed to his rhetoric? Did you read the linked post I wrote about Ford during the campaign? I've done nothing by repudiate him for being a moron since day one.

try harder

Well, I'm certainly not going to "try harder" to have any conversation with you going forward. Responding to individual sentence of a multi-paragraph post with an ad hominem quip just shows that you're unwilling to have an adult conversation.

"No it's because Ontarians and Torontonians pay very low income tax, very low service fees, and in Toronto's case low property tax."

Well, this is certainly a matter that's up for debate. And I'm certainly not trying to be pretentious when I qualify myself in this field as I spend a lot of time studying government spending and looking at the research in these areas.

It's not up for debate. The only province/territory that has a lower tax rate than Ontario is BC and Nunavut. Ah you're shocked to hear Alberta has a higher tax rate.

Depending on which way you slice it, when you factor in all benefits, city workers make 20-30% more than they would doing the exact same thing in the private sector. If you were simply to pay them, say, 8% more than they would make in the private sector, you could close Toronto's fiscal gab with no tax increases and no service reductions.

If you want to stick to an ideological position that the government should pay more than private sector equivalents, then fine. And if you want to demand that people pay more taxes, then fine. But it's probably not worth us arguing those points since we likely have a disagreement on first principles. I'll only say I think it's unfair for a bureaucrat working at a car insurance company who does the same job as a bureaucrat working at municipal licensing to make less than his public sector counterpart and pay more tax dollars to subsidize his unionized, municipally employed doppleganger.

I agree that certain employees who work for the city make more than they would in the private sector. However, there's also quite a few of them that make less by working for the city. The one's making more are generally the one's in the lower level positions. Even if you cut their salaries to match the private sector the saving will be nothing more than a drop in the bucket. And yes training new employees cost a lot. Especially if the individuals who had the necessary experience and would be able to train them are gone or are overworked because the city went on a mass firing binge.

Vancouver and Montreal who are worse off in the long term financially are continuing to spend money to build better cities despite their situation. Their both working together with their respective provincial governments to improve transit. Their both building on the beautification of their streets by working with BIAs.
In short, they're investing in their future.

It's not up for debate. The only province/territory that has a lower tax rate than Ontario is BC and Nunavut. Ah you're shocked to hear Alberta has a higher tax rate.

Well, yes and no. Alberta has fewer tax brackets that advance much faster than Ontario's towards it's top marginal rate. If you make more than $80,000 then Alberta's taxes are lower. If you make under that, then Ontario's taxes are lower. Alberta's top marginal tax rate is 39%, while Ontario's is 46.51%

I agree that certain employees who work for the city make more than they would in the private sector. However, there's also quite a few of them that make less by working for the city. The one's making more are generally the one's in the lower level positions. Even if you cut their salaries to match the private sector the saving will be nothing more than a drop in the bucket. And yes training new employees cost a lot. Especially if the individuals who had the necessary experience and would be able to train them are gone or are overworked because the city went on a mass firing binge.

I believe you're over-emphasizing this training issue. There are certain city jobs that require specialized skills. But most of the bureaucracy has a low training overhead in real terms.

Vancouver and Montreal who are worse off in the long term financially are continuing to spend money to build better cities despite their situation. Their both working together with their respective provincial governments to improve transit. Their both building on the beautification of their streets by working with BIAs.
In short, they're investing in their future.

I was under the impression Toronto is doing this, too. Did the Bloor-Yorville BIA not cover most of the costs of the Bloor Street Revitalization. Did the Bloor West Village BIA and the Roncesvalles BIA not do the same for their gentrification projects?

I'm sure people more knowledgable with these things can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that this sort of thing has been going on in Toronto.

Perhaps Rob Ford is planning to cut all services, lay everyone off, wait a while, then reinstate the services with a new collective bargaining agreement? He isn't that clever, or is he?

I really don't understand where doug is going with his comments.

Brockm, at 80,000 you're still making more in Ontario. Where you start making more in Alberta is at $90,000 and above.

Perhaps Rob Ford is planning to cut all services, lay everyone off, wait a while, then reinstate the services with a new collective bargaining agreement? He isn't that clever, or is he?

"Wait a while"? How long can he wait without any city fire service or garbage pickup or road maintenance or paramedics or etc. etc. etc.?

Even ignoring the legal issues (and I'm almost certain such a move would be illegal), the city literally cannot survive without services.

So that wouldn't be "clever", it would be suicidal.

(Unless I've misread what is intended to be hyperbole.)

I really don't understand where doug is going with his comments.

Brockm, at 80,000 you're still making more in Ontario. Where you start making more in Alberta is at $90,000 and above.

Okay, you're more correct-ish than me. I did a calculation in my spreadsheet. But the transition point is actually $88,000.

However, Alberta also has no provincial sales tax. And while I don't have time to figure out the numbers, I'm thinking the 8% less sales tax in Wild Rose Country is going to equate to fairly large benefit at the median income.

I believe you're over-emphasizing this training issue. There are certain city jobs that require specialized skills. But most of the bureaucracy has a low training overhead in real terms.

No I'm not, i deal with it on a daily basis.
Engineers, horticultural workers, librarians, urban planning, cultural services, police, fire, paramedics, managers, etc.
Not everyone who works for the city picks up garbage.

"I was under the impression Toronto is doing this, too. Did the Bloor-Yorville BIA not cover most of the costs of the Bloor Street Revitalization. Did the Bloor West Village BIA and the Roncesvalles BIA not do the same for their gentrification projects?"

Yes, however Mr Ford wasn't mayor then. My argument is that the city is going away from this.
The Yonge and John streets are perfect examples. I strongly doubt anything will happen with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back