News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
doug, You live to antagonize. You know very well it's impossible to back this up with facts. Next time you make a statement, I'm going to demand the same of you in the same condescending tone.

You already do, tkip
...and that is why you're a hypocrite.

The question is indeed legitimate, but my overall concern is that the Fords' behaviour suggests they aren't interested in looking at the question dispassionately, but are instead intent on pushing their anti-intellectual, anti-poor ideology no matter what the rational answer might be. (And I think that usage figures indicate the rational answer is that libraries are needed now more than ever.)

But we had bookstores even before the "digital age", so why were libraries needed then? Just as not everyone can afford to buy books, not everyone can afford internet access. Libraries serve a very important purpose in the digital age by providing access to books and the internet for those who don't have other means. And that is especially critical in a down economy for getting the unemployed back to work.

And that's what's especially troubling about the Fords' attitude -- they do not care about services that are targeted at helping out the economically disadvantaged, even if those services might help turn such folks into employed taxpayers. Their perspective is small and petty and irrational.

I have a computer, obviously, and yet I use the library all the time. I like reading real books, not on a computer or Kindle. I have books, CDs and DVDs from the library, in my place right now. (some good documentaries) The library has all kinds of good stuff. I am 100% against closing any library in Toronto. When I was at York, I did almost all my studying at public libraries. It was just too noisy and distracting at the family home and god knows, I could never find space at York's library.

Libraries should be off the table, when it comes to cuts.

Library use is increasing, yet only 1 new library has been built in Toronto in the last 10 years. I hardly think Lastman and Miller were going wild with the spending and building "liberries", as D.Ford says, willy-nilly.

I may not use the library, but I don't mind paying for it, if it can help a 5 year old learn and enjoy to read, or an unemployed person find a job, or a newcomer learn about this country.

I now know several people that bought book readers. They aren't buying books anymore.

Care to take a guess what this ultimately means for book stores? The same thing happened to stores like Blockbuster. Internet and Netflix came along and the industry died off. How long before music stores like HMV go out of business as well? The digital age is changing everything. Everything is going digital. So it's not unreasonable to ask about libraries.

What this ultimately means for libraries is unknown. But I'd take a guess their days are numbered as well to a certain extent.

There are always going to be people who don't want to spend their hard earned money on books, DVDs & CDs, when they can borrow them FREE at a library. If someone wants to listen to all kinds of different music, without making that financial commitment, the best place to go, is a library. You get to hear the music before you go out and buy it.

The library has all kinds of good movies, docs and quirky little flicks. They are free to borrow, so why not take advantage of it? I know I do.

I've noticed more second-hand booksellers at the St. Lawrence Sunday Market lately. The two young guys who set up inside, near the north west corner, always have $3 bins and I've bought several good reads from them - last week, for instance, a copy of Bernard Berenson's diaries of his travels around Europe and North Africa when he was in his late eighties.

It's okay to be a hater when it comes to Rob and Doug Ford - in fact it's a civic duty.

Did I happen to mention how much I utter detest Rob Ford?

I hate him. Utterly (and his ilk), to pieces!

(repost of mine from another thread. One just can't put enough anti-Ford sentiment out there - so here it goes)

Rob Ford is indefensible - it's all here here in video footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atzux...eature=related

Keep hitting the youtube links to see more proof what a monumental ass we have as mayor.

Meanwhile, David Miller has since become an advisor on urban issues for the World Bank. (relocated to Boston I think)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2010/11/22/miller-mayor-world-bank542.html

Toronto police say Mayor Rob Ford won't be charged for chatting on a cellphone while driving, despite admitting to the distracted driving offence

In Ontario and several other Canadian provinces, it is illegal to use a handheld electronic device such as a cellphone while driving.

Toronto Police Service spokesman Mark Pugash told CP24 that Ford won't be investigated for the distracted driving part of the incident, despite his admission.

Good to know...as long as you're not cought by an actual on duty cop, you're free to do as you please.

Doug Ford blames union ‘marching orders’ for public criticism

Toronto’s mayor has invited every taxpayer to tell him which city services to cut and which to keep, but his brother, Etobicoke councillor Doug Ford, says public input in budget discussions is being set up by unions, while the mayor’s supporters are too busy working to express their views at city hall.

This is all orchestrated by the unions,” said Doug Ford Tuesday when asked about the opposition voiced by speaker after speaker at committee meetings to review the cost-cutting proposals of a consultant’s report. The service review has produced a list of money-saving options including closing Riverdale Farm and High Park Zoo, ending subsidies for 2000 daycare spaces and trimming budgets on everything from grass cutting to flower planting.

Members of the public have packed meetings to discuss some of the most controversial proposals during the past 10 days. A meeting of the Parks and Environment Committee last week stretched into the late hours of the night, with councillors listening to members of the public for 12 hours. A meeting of the executive committee Thursday, chaired by the mayor, is shaping up to be a marathon session, as well.

“The majority of them are – there is the odd person that comes in because they care – the vast majority of them is all union organized, orchestrated and they just follow their marching orders,” Mr. Ford said.

“Ford Nation is too busy working, paying taxes, creating jobs. That’s what they are doing.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...g-orders-for-public-criticism/article2110691/

Nice to know anyone that disagrees with them is just a union pawn. People who agree don't have time to involve themselves in the political process because they're too busy working.

I guess Margaret Atwood is a union rep. :p

Man, Adam Vaughan is really good.

That Affordable housing developer was really cutting up council, too. Totally went at Giorgio and undermined all his arguments.

Mammolitti's pathetic. I think he's feeling the heat. All his questions to deputants have been, "don’t you agree we need more money from the feds and province?" He’s setting up his escape strategy and win another election. *sigh*

Janet Davis totally took the wind out of Mamollitti’s refrain for fed and province to fund more. Turns out feds give 100 million to Toronto, province gives 40 million, and the city only 10 million.

I think we are seeing the emergence of a centrist faction who have realized an unconditionally allying with Ford is not in their political careers best interests.

Looking through all the posts that are streaming in today, I think Jonny5's is so spot-on. After all, this is politics.

I am not a betting man but I would now bet that Ford will see his allies back away. He came into office with some political capital, and he has already squandered that with extremely poor tactics. I think he's already toast.

EDIT: poor tactics include leaning on one's brother to act as a mouthpiece. A mayor shouldn't need that.

Last edited:
@NoLore
This debate can be summed up thusly: Deputant: 2+3=5. Exec cmtee mbrs: NO IT DOESNT. YOU DONT KNOW THAT. IT IS 6. #topoli

5 minutes ago via web

Looking through all the posts that are streaming in today, I think Jonny5's is so spot-on. After all, this is politics.

I am not a betting man but I would now bet that Ford will see his allies back away. He came into office with some political capital, and he has already squandered that with extremely poor tactics. I think he's already toast.

EDIT: poor tactics include leaning on one's brother to act as a mouthpiece. A mayor shouldn't need that.

Yup.

Today’s been 90% arts people thus far despite affordable housing, zoos, and TTC on the agenda.

This isn’t helping the whole losing the last election in the suburbs. Definitely need to move towards some Saul Alinsky community organisation in the next 1000 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back