News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Sun TV show must be an exploratory initiative to see if the brothers can realize a life-long dream and land their own US-based reality show. It's what they've been working towards their entire lives.

Last edited:
Rob Ford in that interview, regarding 'his' getting us the Scarborough Subway:
"When was the last time you saw a subway in Toronto being built!?!?!?!"
Erm....right now from Downsview to Vaughan?

I'm just glancing (or more exactly, grimacing) through some of these interviews now. I've found the one with Doug on CNN the most interesting by far. Doug looks absolutely s*&t-scared. Flat, fat and backed against a blank wall or backdrop, those two beady eyes of his have never looked so unnaturally paralyzed - by what looks like total fear.
His voice is up in pitch, nearly stuttering, as he repeats his Toronto slogans - which in the face of a major news network, a charismatic anchor who won't drop the questions and a worldwide audience - never sounded more hollow, vapid or evasive.
It was good to see Doug the coward. A right reprieve from the swaggering thug who barks and bullies his way around City Hall thinking he owns Toronto and has got revenge in his pocket. Doug - afraid at last. Doug - stupid and caught, like a third-grader who'd been called to the principal's office. Dumb, trapped and a nervous wreck. It's a good start.

If Ford was paying for after hours shenanigans out of his own pocket, what would his players have to complain about?

adma said:
I'm not sure if it's a matter of "evil and organized", so much as being an overly generous moral black hole in an eternal state of stunted-adolescent delusion. Like, doing it on behalf of the players; guys like girls, so, get girls for the guys. And if they're teens, fine: they're their peers. (And so what if the parties involved are under 18: it's normal for teens to be horny, right? 17, 18 year olds dating 15, 16 year olds? Totally normal.)

Wouldn't be surprised if Doug Sr. was the sort to "arrange" virginity losses for his boys.

Jesus. Making my case turned out to be unexpectedly heavy lifting.

Seriously, Rob Ford pays for underaged sex workers to service a bunch of high school football players, and the only evidence we have of it is a single snarky post on a Toronto HS football bulletin board? How likely is that? Seriously, give some credit to today's generation of high school students. Too many of them have enough courage and sense of right and wrong that everybody who knew would just let it slide. If I'm wrong about that I'll be way more ill than I am about all the heinous stuff that Rob Ford has already admitted doing.

I am done commenting on this issue ... http://xkcd.com/386/

This Sun TV show must be an exploratory initiative to see if the brothers can realize a life-long dream and land their own US-based reality show. It's what they've been working towards their entire lives.

I would guess there's some truth to that as far as the Fords' motivation. As for Sun News's motivation (beyond the obvious ratings-based one) is still up for debate.

Rob Ford in that interview, regarding 'his' getting us the Scarborough Subway:
"When was the last time you saw a subway in Toronto being built!?!?!?!"
Erm....right now from Downsview to Vaughan?

I'm just glancing (or more exactly, grimacing) through some of these interviews now. I've found the one with Doug on CNN the most interesting by far. Doug looks absolutely s*&t-scared. Flat, fat and backed against a blank wall or backdrop, those two beady eyes of his have never looked so unnaturally paralyzed - by what looks like total fear.
His voice is up in pitch, nearly stuttering, as he repeats his Toronto slogans - which in the face of a major news network, a charismatic anchor who won't drop the questions and a worldwide audience - never sounded more hollow, vapid or evasive.
It was good to see Doug the coward. A right reprieve from the swaggering thug who barks and bullies his way around City Hall thinking he owns Toronto and has got revenge in his pocket. Doug - afraid at last. Doug - stupid and caught, like a third-grader who'd been called to the principal's office. Dumb, trapped and a nervous wreck. It's a good start.

Is that you, Rosie DiManno?

I dunno. Community calendar works for radio because it's, well, radio. Television needs to be sexier. Now they've been very close to the vest with details about how it's being filmed or the format or much of anything about it. But I can't imagine they gave final editorial control to the Fords. They're also billing it as a "reality" show, which suggests to me filming a lot more than they plan to use and then editing down, as opposed to just having them talk for the length of what the show is and then airing that. The most disgusting quote about it comes (of course) from Doug, who literally says "Rob is like Howard Stern or Rush Limbaugh" which is a pretty stunning thing for a sitting councillor to say about a sitting mayor, to literally compare him to possibly the two most polarizing and controversial broadcasters of their generation. They're definitely selling it as controversy (and setting Rob up for a future career in broadcast punditry?). I would guess based on what Kinsella said and what Sun News is billing it as that they will encourage the Fords (who, remember, don't need much prodding and are too dim to realize that the spectacle they've been making of themselves on US news shows has been for everyone but them comedy entertainment) to just give'er with whatever they want to say about anything, possibly with one of their pro trolls like Menzies egging them on. I think it's going to be a shitshow of seriously epic proportions. Imagine Stern or Limbaugh without the self-awareness of Stern or Limbaugh. Even Rush, as fucking ridiculous as he is, knows EXACTLY what he's doing and who he's speaking to. The Fords are on the other end of the clueless spectrum but have just as much rope. And neither Stern or Limbaugh is a sitting politician, which makes this all the more insane. If Kinsella's right I'm actually looking forward to this first episode.

The difference between Ford and any of those radio mouthpieces is that Rob definitely does NOT have the gift of gab, and can barely string two sentences together. That's why the radio show was mostly him reading from a list of community events---he's incapable of thinking on his feet. If any of his handlers think he's going to be the next Glenn Beck after all this, they're going to be very disappointed.

The only nefarious thing it's doing that we are aware of is propping up the brothers' political careers. Rob's has been neutered, and he is pretty much mayor in name only, at this point. Next October, he won't be mayor at all. I can't see much of a political future for Doug, either. It's not like Deco is exploiting workers or damaging the environment or producing a harmful product (that I'm aware of). I just don't think the damage to innocent employees is necessary or worth it, now.

Propping up those careers is nefarious in my opinion. You may disagree.

Except that the Fords hired people with specific skills and expertise to work up their image and run their campaigns. If Rob can get another skilled manager, he might pull it off again.

Compare the reputation that precedes the Fords *now* to that which preceded the Fords in 2010. And yes, I know there was already a reputation then, but...

What kind of "skilled manager"? Even the specific-skilled people from 2010, Kouvalis et al, have blown themselves off. Who's left?

OTOH, odd as this might sound, I can envisage Ford Nation-ism having more 2014 electoral success outside the 416 than within, i.e. hinterland candidates striking a positive Ford-esque note with the electorate. (Like, a few years ago I might have asked "if Rob Ford so reflects suburban values, then how come the 905 doesn't have mayors that mouth-breathingly ridiculous"? But as it turns out, the Rob Ford example is reminding a lot of hinterland electors that, yeah, maybe they *can* use somebody like that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back