News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you need to take that 40% figure with a grain of salt. The breakouts in the polling show strong approval at somewhere around 20%, as I recall. The remainder is qualified. If Kelly is successful at proving you can have a Ford-style agenda (low taxes, restrained spending) without the histronics, I think the qualified approval (or at least some of it) will shift elsewhere. In other words, that 40% headline includes a lot of people who like Ford's priorities, but have reservations about the man. At least, that's how I see it.

I don't know if anyone noticed that the graphic used on CNN yesterday cited October 31st as the polling date. I wouldn't take that as indicative of the current mood.

I think it's a combination of both. Sun IS hurting bad. They've been saved from the brink by Quebecor several times already.

Second, the Globe stated that Canadian Tire was quite upset about the unauthorized use of their logo in ads during the show. Having sold the airtime without vetting the client could make them culpable in any lawsuit CT might make against the infringers, Rockwell Tools. Best not to risk it and just try and distance yourself as much as possible from the whole affair, like flushing your weed at your house party when someone "thinks" they saw a cop car roll by.

I don't think CT said the use of the logo was unauthorized did they? Pretty sure they didn't. All they said was that they did not place the ad or target the show. I'm sure their logo use was completely authorized.

I don't think CT said the use of the logo was unauthorized did they? Pretty sure they didn't. All they said was that they did not place the ad or target the show. I'm sure their logo use was completely authorized.

That makes sense... perhaps very few advertisers wanted their brands associated with the show despite ratings. Given the fact the Argos and Iceberg Vodka have distanced themselves from Ford, any other brand that flirts with Rob Ford would be smart to do the same and back away.

I just watched a few more clips of the show. Rob barely looks into the camera from what I saw. He's always looking a couple feet below it... around the level the camera operator's knees or hips. It's really bizarre because most people have a tendency to stare right into the lens.

If CT is allowed to dictate where and when their logo is to be used, then infringement of that constitutes unauthorized use.

That's a valid point about Elaine Basso. And it's true there probably is to some degree a subconscious (or not so subconscious) reflex to favour the pretty girl (right up until it's "she's in lingerie she's a slut or a whore"--there often seems to be a point where once a pretty girl is called pretty enough times, a certain segment of people, guys and girls, will start pushing back with the perceived character attacks). On the other hand the Elaine Basso discussion didn't last for dozens and dozens of posts over days, everyone moved on much quicker to other, juicier tidbits. Beyond that, it's hard to argue "come on, be hard on the girl BECAUSE she's pretty," which I'm not saying you're doing, but that's out there too.

I'm also not trying to be the PC police. I'm a long way from that, actually. I'm just saying two days later and we're still talking about it (and seriously, a lot of the discussion is still of the is-she-or-isn't-she-a-whore variety). It's prurience beyond relevance. It's also, as someone else pointed out, the sort of character- and morality-judging many of us find so distasteful in Ford and his ilk.
I do get that, though, to be honest "Prurience Beyond Relevance" could accurately describe upwards of 20% of this entire thread, and 75% of unscripted television.

I disagree with the characterization of "she's in lingerie, she's a slut or whore." For me it was more like fords staff called her a possible prostitute. Ford says she's not. Oh she's Miss Toronto Tourism. Oh people are saying she must have been doing her Miss Toronto Tourism work that evening. Oh, no, she was Miss TT two years before. Wait, how dare I make assumptions based on the ITO? Really? Oh, she's posing in lingerie. In a banquet hall. Where she gets paid to entertain in lingerie. For stags. And poker parties. Hmmm, maybe fords staff, having spent time with her, observing her, watching he interactions as she did cocaine bumps with the Mayor might just, possibly, potentially have a little teeny better idea about the mystery know as Alana than those of us speculating and defending her on the internet. And frankly, we know what they supposed. I don't say they are right, put as a columnist put it early in the RoFo saga, the presumption of innocence does not require us to believe fairy tales.

If CT is allowed to dictate where and when their logo is to be used, then infringement of that constitutes unauthorized use.

Canadian Tire ‏@CanadianTire 8h
We've learned that a manufacturer(s) using our logo ran an ad on Ford Nation last night. We did not place the ad or target the show. #TOpoli

Can you share any details on the project? I would love to be involved if I can lend support.

Thank you. There will be an opportunity for involvement once we work out the details.

From Now:

Rob and Doug Ford terrible at television, governance
Sun New cancels Ford Nation after single stupid episode

"Maybe they’re destined to roam the Canadian broadcast media landscape like Caine in Kung-Fu, ruining different radio and TV stations each week. Or maybe they can just buy bullhorns and yell into each others’ own assholes for an hour every week, which would give the same basic effect as their AM 1010 radio program and Sun News show, without bothering anyone else.
God bless Ford Nation!"

http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/story.cfm?content=195375

Spit take! That's the funniest and most unexpected line I've read since the Ford saga began! Haha

I do get that, though, to be honest "Prurience Beyond Relevance" could accurately describe upwards of 20% of this entire thread, and 75% of unscripted television.

I disagree with the characterization of "she's in lingerie, she's a slut or whore." For me it was more like fords staff called her a possible prostitute. Ford says she's not. Oh she's Miss Toronto Tourism. Oh people are saying she must have been doing her Miss Toronto Tourism work that evening. Oh, no, she was Miss TT two years before. Wait, how dare I make assumptions based on the ITO? Really? Oh, she's posing in lingerie. In a banquet hall. Where she gets paid to entertain in lingerie. For stags. And poker parties. Hmmm, maybe fords staff, having spent time with her, observing her, watching he interactions as she did cocaine bumps with the Mayor might just, possibly, potentially have a little teeny better idea about the mystery know as Alana than those of us speculating and defending her on the internet. And frankly, we know what they supposed. I don't say they are right, put as a columnist put it early in the RoFo saga, the presumption of innocence does not require us to believe fairy tales.

I just went through trying to find the original few posts after the pic was put up here. There was a particular run where Dave Chappelle's "whore's uniform" thing was brought up, and it got kind of ugly. That's all.

That's the thing. CT likely didn't dictate specifically when and during what show their logo was to be used on. For many of these smaller stations, advertisers basically pay to have their advertising on during a certain time block (eg. Sunday between 5 PM and 7 PM). What show will be on at the time is completely unknown to them. So unless CT said specifically that they didn't want advertising on Ford Nation, then there wouldn't be any infringement.

Canadian Tire ‏@CanadianTire 8h
We've learned that a manufacturer(s) using our logo ran an ad on Ford Nation last night. We did not place the ad or target the show. #TOpoli

Right. And the follow up:

@CanadianTire 8h
For clarity to our customers – we won’t be advertising on Ford Nation and are asking our manufacturers to not use our logos on the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back