News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
To put these new poll numbers into perspective Rob Ford has a higher approval rating than the un-elected Premier Wynne who last week was calling for Fords ouster (in a poll conducted the end of September Wynne had a 39% approval rating).

Even more remarkable - at 42% Rob Ford in the wake of the crack cocaine scandal has a higher approval rating than the great Messiah - Barack Obama http://www.gallup.com/poll/116479/b... vote for mayor or maybe you are just obtuse.

Last edited:
To put these new poll numbers into perspective Rob Ford has a higher approval rating than the un-elected Premier Wynne ...

What are you talking about. Wynne was elected, just like every other member of the legislature. She had over 58% of the vote in her riding last election.

Is this some kind of anti-gay bigotry in the same way all that Obama isn't a natural-born American is simply anti-black bigotry?

I remembered this quote from Warren Kinsella:

"There is no way on God’s green earth — none — the RCMP, and/or the Canadian law enforcement/intelligence community, would have let Harper get that close to Ford if the latter was facing an imminent criminal charge, or proof of involvement in a serious crime."

From today's Star article: "A federal source with knowledge of the event said local organizers kept the mayor from meeting the prime minister because they were concerned he was intoxicated."

If that's the case, I'm surprised Rob wasn't bumbling around fuming about how he needed to go say hello to his old fishing buddy.

To put these new poll numbers into perspective Rob Ford has a higher approval rating than the un-elected Premier Wynne who last week was calling for Fords ouster (in a poll conducted the end of September Wynne had a 39% approval rating).

Even more remarkable - at 42% Rob Ford in the wake of the crack cocaine scandal has a higher approval rating than the great Messiah - Barack Obama http://www.gallup.com/poll/116479/barack-obama-presidential-job-approval.aspx

Peepers, for the love of God, STOP with the un-elected crap. Just stop. It's unbelievably irritating, completely wrong, and prevents (rather than encourages) discussion.

The approval rating is a perception thing -- not at all an indication of voting. It's nothing but sympathy for an addled, tragic figure. Again, remember that the 'approval rating' for Miller was in the 80s well into his second term. Ford, if he was not an enormously incompetent Mayor, would be polling double his current 'approval rating'. A pumpkin would get an approval rating of 40% in this town, because unlike Naples, Toronto works just fine on a day to day basis.

What are you talking about. Wynne was elected, just like every other member of the legislature. She had over 58% of the vote in her riding last election.

Is this some kind of anti-gay bigotry in the same way all that Obama isn't a natural-born American is simply anti-black bigotry?

The idea that people think Wynne is "unelected" or that last week was an undemocratic "coup d'etat" shows, not surprisingly, how unable most people are to grasp even the broadest nuances of democracy, or at least the system we have in place.

Rob Ford seems to think that because there is no mechanism to remove him that "democracy" means people get to voice their opinion once every 4 years and everything that happens in between is irrelevant. It so absurd as to be outright offensive.

As you point out, Wynne was elected in her riding and then elected by her party. Similarly, yes, Ford was the only person actually elected citywide but he didn't get a majority (which would be important if we really cared about ancient-style "democracy") and each of the 44 members of council was elected. If Ford loses a budget motion 44-1, that's no less "democratic" than what took place last week. Those people were elected to represent constituents so we don't have 2.8 million people voting on each and every issue. If the majority of them vote for something, it passes. That's the system. If the VAST majority of them vote on something the mayor votes against, that's no less democratic, even if it's ousting him.

These people who drag up Wynne being un-elected are the same people who reveled in Mike Harris tearing up the province based on mustering 35% of the vote.

It's easy to make arguments for reforms to our system (ranked balloting enabling a mayor to have an actual mandate would be a start; some sort of recall would be another) but saying, "they didn't ask me, just council!" as if democracy started Oct. 25 2010 and is taking a little nap until resurfacing on Oct. 27, 2014, is just infuriating.

EDIT: Just to add - I don't believe the polls for a second. I'm guessing that, come election day - when more more police stuff has come out - when there are other options out there - he fails to even break 20%. It will be a massive defeat, especially for a man whose entire mental foundation is built on the notion that the media and elite hate him but the REAL PEOPLE, The Little Guy, loves him and will have his victory next October. It will be an even ruder awakening than losing his Don Bosco gig.

Last edited:
HAHAHA Jesus Christ:

"The Star has also learned of other trouble calls to the mayor’s house, including one in 2012 in which local officers arrived to find Ford outside his house in the early morning hours yelling into his phone, while a stretch limousine idled on the road and its driver and a scantily clad woman stood in Ford’s driveway, arguing. An emergency official with knowledge of the incident described it to the Star."

HAHAHA Jesus Christ:

"The Star has also learned of other trouble calls to the mayor’s house, including one in 2012 in which local officers arrived to find Ford outside his house in the early morning hours yelling into his phone, while a stretch limousine idled on the road and its driver and a scantily clad woman stood in Ford’s driveway, arguing. An emergency official with knowledge of the incident described it to the Star."

This is why it's so absurd Ford went out there and said, "I have nothing left to hide."
Surely, even with his drunken stupors, he knows there are "front line police officers," EMS officials, hotel clerks and who knows what else who have stories to tell about him that have so far been swept under the rug. The coke-at-Bier Market rumours were around for months and months before they came out in the ITO and clearly the media felt they had to sit on them until then. So it should be obvious they have been sitting on other stuff (and not just the media but their sources and ordinary joes, like this guy who watched Ford buy crack on Jarvis Street and thought it peculiar) and it's going to keep coming out.

It's hard to rank all of the bizarre things Ford does but his inability to understand other stuff is coming out has been bizarre ever since he managed to obtain a single copy of a digital video file and think he erased it from existence. By June or July - certainly by the time he realized a Cessna was following him - he should have clued in that it wasn't going to be over until everyone knew everything. The notion that he can't even remember the crack video so he needs to see it to explain it is mind-boggling. Personally, I'd like to see him explain away how, drunk out of his mind and trying the drug for the first time, he's able to light up a crack pipe so skillfully. I doubt Mansbridge would ask that.

As someone pointed out earlier (probably several someones), the focus has been on these little issues: his vulgarity, his drug use, his bad work record, but it's only a matter of time until the larger issues, like how he avoided getting charged with domestics, his links to murder and gangs come out. Even given his drunken stupors, you think he'd have some idea that he's done other shit that will come to light. He just doesn't care. What I wouldn't give to have him committed and evaluated. I think the psych report would be far more interesting than whatever will be in Robyn Doolittle's book.

Not just crack central but hooker central too. I used to rent an office near there. That's a really, really sketchy area (or at least it was in the mid 2000s -- maybe it's gone up a little?)

Hooker Harvey's! A friend lived in the condos across Gerrard from that Harvey's. It has cleaned up a bit in the past decade, but is still pretty sketchy.

Step into the mind of Ford Nation... I highlighted the part at the bottom to showcase the craziness. Why would anyone be happy with a 42% approval rating?

2yminwy.jpg

And why go all the way downtown if you're going to move out of your Etobicoke home for a few days? Just to be closer to that Sunnybrook barbecue?

If it was actually held at Sunnybrook, it's almost the same distance. Probably faster for Ford to drive from his home, taking the 401.

Surely, even with his drunken stupors, he knows there are "front line police officers," EMS officials, hotel clerks and who knows what else who have stories to tell about him that have so far been swept under the rug.

So sad but hilarious the way he seems utterly certain that "drunken stupor" = "I cannot be held accountable for anything that happened during this time period."

So sad but hilarious the way he seems utterly certain that "drunken stupor" = "I cannot be held accountable for anything that happened during this time period."

...and that "I apologize" makes everything all better.

That Neil guy who runs the pro-Ford FB page frightens me. He tweets about Ford all day and the level of his discourse is "suck an egg." I've noticed the likes on the page going up but whether they're valid or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back