News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Dougie.....where is he! I miss his media interviews/ rants and attacks on whomever?

Come on out Doug/ Dougie/ Dougmeister!

We miss you!

:)
Speak for yourself. :p

I could care less if his idiot brother ran him over "in a drunken stupor".
Oh, don't fret; he immediately apologised afterwards, I'm sure.

I'm legitimately curious, is the difference between changing after one year and changing after two years that significant? Does that extra year somehow magically garner a legitimate mandate vs an "unelected" leader?

I can't see how one is legitimate and the other not, especially when both are part of standard Westminster style parliamentary representative democracy.

It kind of remind of the old joke "we both know what you are; we're just dickering over the price."

Well, in general, the leader sets the policies of the party for an election, or during the term of their time as leader. Yes, the party also contributes, but the leader generally steers it in their favour, since they're the leader. So if the leader is in control for a majority of their term, their goals are what drives it (and this could be what someone voted for). When there's a leader change, they may have different goals (ie, not what you voted for, possibly). The year difference is simply because, in McGuinty's example, he was elected on his platform, but gave up after a year and couldn't implement what he wanted - or implemented very little given the short timeframe. Serving 2 years, or half your term gives the person a better opportunity to implement their agenda. Plus, there's the simple comparison. 1 year = 1/4 of your term. 2 years = 1/2 your term, or a majority of the time you committed to being Premier. I'm fine with it in this circumstance, I'm just pointing out why people feel they were 'cheated'. Serving one year appears like you weren't really committed to doing the job your were supposed to be elected to do - this also makes people feel like their vote was wasted. At least if your served 2 years and a day, you stayed for a 'majority' of your time. It's perception, and that's all politics and voting is at the end of the day. Do you perceive that leader to be trustworthy and to carry out what they say they'll do.

Also, I wanted to see where qwerty got this impression that the Ontario PC's have a history of changing leaders immediately after elections, from what I've seen, it's quite the opposite - the last few leaders of the PC's served 3/4 of their terms prior to the change of leaders.

Question - Did you have an issue with Harper's prorogations? He was only using the rules to his advantage in a Westminster style gov't (same as McGuinty). Again, it's all about the perception. It was all legitimate, even if I didn't agree with it.

Last edited:
Not just C[SUB]2[/SUB]H[SUB]6[/SUB]O, but with C[SUB]17[/SUB]H[SUB]21[/SUB]NO[SUB]4[/SUB] (also known as benzoylmethylecgonine) as well.
damn, that is some fine information

you win teh internets for today, no sarcasm intended

i had no idea it was such a simple compound (if that's not an oxymoron)

The difference is that Wynne has yet to take her party to the polls as leader, and thus has a weak mandate to govern.

If that were true, then the only people who have a legit reason to be pissed, are those who voted for McGuinty, and feel that Wynne's policies differ enough to matter to them.

So what's Peeper's excuse? Something tells me he doesn't vote Liberal.

And in any event, the use of the term "unelected" is pure troll bating.

And while we're on the "mandate" issue and people trying to equate it to the mayor, this would also be completely inaccurate. A governing federal or provincial party leader's mandate means something, because all members of that party will always vote what the leader tells them to. In the case of the mayor, he's not the leader of a party, and the policies he ran on have no guarantee of being implemented, as no councillors are obligated to vote in favour of his motions.

In any event, a "mandate' doesn't apply here, as Ford only received less than 50% of the popular vote, and at least by my definition, a mandate would need to represent a significant majority of the popular vote (greater than 60% at the very least).

I think Rob replaced it with C2H6O.
Not just C[SUB]2[/SUB]H[SUB]6[/SUB]O, but with C[SUB]17[/SUB]H[SUB]21[/SUB]NO[SUB]4[/SUB] (also known as benzoylmethylecgonine) as well.

I can't be the only one hoping that he replaced it with near pure C[SUB]2[/SUB]H[SUB]6[/SUB]O (more commonly known as ethanol or dimethylether). It's a quick way to rid ourselves of this menace permanently. :cool:

Last edited:
Speak for yourself. :p

I could care less if his idiot brother ran him over "in a drunken stupor".
Oh, don't fret; he immediately apologised afterwards, I'm sure.

End game in a perfect universe is Gomer Pile in the can smoking the Drill Sargent (played by Doug) then eating the rifle. [fade up][gun shot] Fade to black.
We do not live in a perfect universe.

At the bottom of that Star article about Rio was this:

"The latest group to cut the mayor out is the National Ballet of Canada, which did not invite Ford to appear as a celebrity Cannon Doll in The Nutcracker, as he did in 2011. Instead, Councillor Karen Stintz, who has said she intends to run for mayor, will appear in the non-speaking, non-dancing role. “The mayor, through his behaviour and his words, is not the kind of representative that we want associated with the National Ballet of Canada,” said spokeswoman Catherine Chang."

Thank you National Ballet of Canada. More need to speak up.

End game in a perfect universe is Gomer Pile in the can smoking the Drill Sargent (played by Doug) then eating the rifle. [fade up][gun shot] Fade to black.
We do not live in a perfect universe.

No we don't. If we did, I'd understand your reference....also I would have shaved today.

I like the picture you painted though. :)

(Wow, this may make me morally bankrupt)

Question - Did you have an issue with Harper's prorogations? He was only using the rules to his advantage in a Westminster style gov't (same as McGuinty). Again, it's all about the perception. It was all legitimate, even if I didn't agree with it.
interesting thought, though I'm not sure if the comparison is apt. Prorogation as a means to avoid a scheduled non-confidence vote was, and is, unheard of in practice. Leadership changes between elections are, on the other hand, quite common.

And frankly I do agree that a leader who has not lead the party in an actual election does have a lesser mandate than one who has, but I feel that all the "unelected" talk is disingenuous spin, and sound bite politics. Like PM Harper trying to paint a coalition government as illegitimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back