News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good call! And she's already played a similar role in the underrated State of Play.

I would prefer the one in House of Cards, Kate Mara I think it is.
Man, House of Cards actually has quite a few similarities to what's happening for real in Canada today. :)
Suggest y'all watch it if you haven't already...

I believe most of the speculation and commentary concerning Alana was fair game, as the nature of her relationship with Ford reflects back on him and his activities, and that's what we're interested in here. Just as we feel free to speculate on the role and the character of all Ford's associates. There were a couple argumentative tangents spinning off her story that may have made the discussion seem long-winded, but that's what happens here - yesterday it was cellphones and fair democratic representation*. Unfortunately, boyzone comments towards Doolittle, who as a journalist is ancillary the story, does undermine any argument that interest in Alana or any other "scantily-clad" females who might make an appearance is driven by reasonable curiosity and investigation rather than titillation.

* and now as the "who should play Ford in the movie" discussion happens for the ninth time.

Agreed. I didn't want to comment after the initial post and join the piling on, but after the OP's "defence" of the post, I will. Ford and anyone else stupid enough to associate with him are in play. Robyn is not. The comment was extremely disrespectful to her as a professional and uncalled for. I'm sure she and some of her colleagues probably read this thread.

What about our very own Rachel McAdams?

Doesn't fit the cruel twist of fate angle. McAdams is pretty enough but has a Shakespearian background (not to be confused with being in Shakespeare in Love) and has been in a Woody Allen movie for crying out loud.

The sexist bit regarding Doolittle and her being noticed as much for her *hotness* (my new forum-friendly replacement word?) as much as her journalistic skills is not a story I'm gonna get too teary-eyed about. She's got a great career, she's getting very famous, has a book coming out, and is well...everybody thinks she's hot. It's not like she got cancer.

And in my own defence, I really, really, REALLY (in my best ROBO voice) honestly thought that on a slow Ford news day, this officially became the isn't Robyn Doolittle hot thread.

On a similar note, I have to agree with Zoomer's idea that Doug Holyday be played by Steve Buscemi.

To be honest, I think the Mike Harris years were far more damaging to Toronto than the last 3 years of the Ford Bros.
The name "John Snobelen" still makes me cringe.

I know you're in your 20's, so you may not remember the worst aspects of the Harris years (which occurred when Harris himself was running the show; not the final chapter with Ernie Eves...).

In fact, I would argue that the Mike Harris years directly contributed to the rise of a "Ford Nation" within Toronto.

Oh yah, I'll agree that Harris fubar'd all the cities of Ontario, with Toronto teetering on that shit pile of downloaded debt. And that Mikey's "Reign of Error", or rather "The Common Sense Devolution" did indeed set up things for the "Ford Tarnation".

Hahaaaa....yeah, it must be a slow news day if I'm at the pub, watching footy instead of hitting refresh every minute.

The Harris quip was a bit of hyperbole on my part. I think I just miss summer and thought that invoking my Ward's Island steeze would make me feel better.
That being said, I still believe that Harris didn't negatively affect our international relations as much as the fact that we can't get rid of Neckless B(l)ob even though he's a disaster.
It shows others that our political system may not be as polished as we'd like to tell everyone it is.

Though, as pointed out (and I get out a lot, thanks) those in glass houses...etc.

I wasn't trying to suggest it's the end of the world regarding international relations, but it certainly is damaging and I feel that any suggestion that the contrary is true is a bit ill-informed.

But, maybe I'm attributing my own feelings to others. I do that sometimes....I am an "elitist" (LOL!) after all.

PS: Re: my recollection of the Harris years.

I was in elementary school and remember quite well the indoctrination of Harris hate perpetrated by teachers on us students. It was weird.

what Rofo is up to today (with George Chuvalo)
1459262_10152368263077802_354749412_n.jpg

Attachments

• 1459262_10152368263077802_354749412_n.jpg
    1459262_10152368263077802_354749412_n.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 614
I heard one Ford supporter on the radio say that Toronto was bankrupt before Ford and he has returned us to prosperity, who is feeding these guys this bullshit.

I heard one Ford supporter on the radio say that Toronto was bankrupt before Ford and he has returned us to prosperity, who is feeding these guys this bullshit.

They get it by not being critical enough....or knowing how to read properly.

I was in elementary school and remember quite well the indoctrination of Harris hate perpetrated by teachers on us students. It was weird.

I was finishing up high school at the time and also remember it. It was the one time in my life where I will say that indoctrination was justified :)

Keep in mind, if it wasn't for Harris:
- we would already have an Eglinton subway
- the province would own a tremendous revenue-generator in the form of the 407; who knows, maybe the prov would be in much better financial straits as a result?
- many other things, and I realized this is off-topic for this thread :)

Slob said he brought the city back from the brink! That's where these simpletons get it from!

I too am sick of hearing people spew out slob and thugs sound bites. This type of person does not have the cognitive capacity to filter information, challenge, analyse and calculate their own opinion/ answer.

That is the secret to ford's success. Appealing to those who automatically believe what is said, without question!

Slob said he brought the city back from the brink! That's where these simpletons get it from!

I too am sick of hearing people spew out slob and thugs sound bites. This type of person does not have the cognitive capacity to filter information, challenge, analyse and calculate their own opinion/ answer.

That is the secret to ford's success. Appealing to those who automatically believe what is said, without question!

And when someone actually tries to correct them, they put their head in the sand and refuse to listen. It's they are choosing to be willfully ignorant.

Doesn't fit the cruel twist of fate angle. McAdams is pretty enough but has a Shakespearian background (not to be confused with being in Shakespeare in Love) and has been in a Woody Allen movie for crying out loud.

The sexist bit regarding Doolittle and her being noticed as much for her *hotness* (my new forum-friendly replacement word?) as much as her journalistic skills is not a story I'm gonna get too teary-eyed about. She's got a great career, she's getting very famous, has a book coming out, and is well...everybody thinks she's hot. It's not like she got cancer.

And in my own defence, I really, really, REALLY (in my best ROBO voice) honestly thought that on a slow Ford news day, this officially became the isn't Robyn Doolittle hot thread.

On a similar note, I have to agree with Zoomer's idea that Doug Holyday be played by Steve Buscemi.

You're only digging yourself in deeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back