8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't new, but I think it bears repeating:

"An influential Vaughan developer, who donated generously to Mayor Rob Ford’s pre- and post-election fundraising drives, controls a long-term lease on the Port Lands’ Hearn Generating Station, which has been proposed as a site for an NFL stadium by the mayor’s brother Doug, wrote The Globe and Mail April 29.

Developer Mario Cortellucci, together with various relatives and individuals who listed his company’s premises on their donor forms, contributed $30,000 to the mayor’s campaign, about half of which was raised following the election as part of a multi-candidate effort to eliminate campaign deficits. He also secured a private meeting with Rob Ford, according to scheduling documents released under access to information laws."

http://ylife.news.yorku.ca/2011/05/...h-on-developer-donations-looks-at-mayor-ford/

Looks like they want to move that Woodbine redevelopment downtown ...

Say ... how is that Woodbine redevelopment going? Should be zipping right along now that Ford is mayor - he was pushing it pretty hard when he was councillor. But I haven't heard mention of it since the election!

This is the key to the whole puzzle as to why Ford's pushing for the changes.

The thing I don't get is why LDL gets mixed up with Hearn. Shouldn't you be able to leave WT in charge of everything west of Hearn, and carve that area out to screw up? I think it must be so expensive to blow up Hearn, that Mario needs government dollars to do that, then he'll be able to cream off the dollars into his own pocket by developing Hearn and/or getting compensated for giving up his lease there for development rights somewhere else in the area.

It's the 'high end mall' thingy that I don't get at all. If you're going to do that anywhere along the harbour, it should be QQT and the Harbour Castle convention centre getting a refit, kicking out all the current tenants. Maybe the Fords have thought of that but couldn't figure out how to get it into Mario's hands....

Gee:D..Ford backing Mario Cortellucci = Miller backing the boys up at Bombardier...WTF is the deference, all politicians make backroom deals....and our last BS leftist mayor was the master of all shady deals.

Gee:D..Ford backing Mario Cortellucci = Miller backing the boys up at Bombardier...WTF is the deference, all politicians make backroom deals....and our last BS leftist mayor was the master of all shady deals.

Get your head out of your butt, AG. Miller was many things, but 'master of all shady deals'? C'mon. Now you're just being deliberately stubborn. Miller may have been an idiot in doing a single-tender train contract, but it was all out in the open.

Contrast that to the last right-wing council -- Lastman w/Jakobek taking cash in the City Hall parking lot.

The fact that Doug Ford just came out and admitted publicly in the press that the he is doing back room dealing is, er, jaw-dropping.

Democracy is expensive and unnecessary when you're hard at work promoting "value for the taxpayer"--listening to everyone's opinions is time-consuming especially when you have the correct answers for everything.

Good point jje; that's exactly what was happening in the comments -- people were focused on the pros/cons of the Olympics rather than the point that she was making, i.e., the process that was used to come to a decision. OK, maybe "process" is a bit of a stretch ...

I wish she used the examples of the Fort York Bridge and the Jarvis bike lanes instead of the Olympic bid. Now everyone's going to cling onto that.

Or Transit City. I still find it crazy, how quickly and easily Ford was able to get rid of Transit City after all those years of study, planning and consultation. It makes no sense at all. Now all the planning and MONEY that has been spent to develop a plan for the Portlands, is just thrown down the drain, just like that. How does this happen in a sophisticated city like Toronto? I thought we had a city council but obviously, they have no backbone or principles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back