News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I was pointing out that this thread is about Ford's vision and performance as mayor. So let's keep it on topic and avoid the mud slinging that's immature at best.

The council is not made to bicker with the Mayor.

This new meme that Council (or Parliament) is "bickering" with the Mayor (or the Prime Minister) when, in fact, they're representing their constituents and engaging them in debate -- often referred to as "democracy" -- is so transparent. The dumbing down of politics in this country is infuriating.

Hes the mayor, he should be able to do that.

He's the mayor not some dictator. Last i checked no mayor in the developed world has free reign over the city. This is not Egypt.

Transit City was not a viable plan seeing as the traffic in toronto streets is increasingly worse and lrt systems on the street would only cause more clutter with three cars blocking an intersection on a left turn rather than one.

But you fail to bother researching how many vehicles would be removed from the road thanks to TC.

The Portlands are being developed in a far better manor than private residential properties that Waterfront Toronto had planned littered with a few small parks here and there with little public access. The city council may not have back bones (idk?) but they definately have common sense seeing as Rob Ford plans are whats best for the city and voting him out next term would make it worse because then a new mayor would scrap his plans and pick new ones all over again.

The Portlands have little residential space. Verify WTs site and you'll see the large parklands.
Typical of a Ford supporter, you have no clue what the actual plan is and you're spitting BS instead of doing research and getting yourself educated.

Last edited:
When I think about the transit city, I want to laugh.
Everyone seems to focus on present rather than the future of toronto.
I remember I read on the newspaper that the capacity of the light rail would be enough to move people around.
How about future?! Toronto 's polulation in increasing like crazy. What is enough now would be insifficient in a few years.
Do we need to scrap the light rail transit in a few years and start building subway?
We cannot afford to buy cheap! Think ahead.

I think people hate Rob Ford because he is different, not because of his vision.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to focus on present rather than the future of toronto. [...] What is enough now would be insifficient in a few years.
Do we need to scrap the light rail transit in a few years and start building subway?
[...]
I think people hate Rob Ford because he is different, not because of his vision.

You're right -- I'm sure that Rob and Doug have thought far more deeply about Transit City than the scores of professional transit planners who developed it, and I'm certain that the Fords carefully worked out all on their own the ridership projections for the various corridors and costs across a multi-decade time frame, with special attention paid to changes in population density and traffic patterns. Honestly, how could the various experts been so blind to something so obvious to the Fords?

Why is Doug Ford (councilor for Ward 2 Etobicoke North) doing the announcements, proposals, or whatever for something happening in Ward 30 (Paula Fletcher's Toronto-Danforth, which includes the Portlands)? He isn't mayor, though he does act like one!

Last edited:
Why is Doug Ford (councilor for Ward 2 Etobicoke North) doing the announcements, proposals, or whatever for something happening in Ward 30 (Paula Fletcher's Toronto-Danforth, which includes the Portlands)? He isn't mayor, though he does act like one!
He's Vice Chair for Build Toronto - the organization tasked with, you know, getting things built.

You're right -- I'm sure that Rob and Doug have thought far more deeply about Transit City than the scores of professional transit planners who developed it, and I'm certain that the Fords carefully worked out all on their own the ridership projections for the various corridors and costs across a multi-decade time frame, with special attention paid to changes in population density and traffic patterns. Honestly, how could the various experts been so blind to something so obvious to the Fords?
Considering that Giambrone has been accused of coming up with the basics of Transit City sitting in a coffee shop with a marker and a napkin, the expertise that went into Transit City may not have been too far off from the expertise that went into killing it. Not to mention that when Transit City was unveiled in 2007, it surprised almost everyone due to its rejection of previous TTC grand visions which concentrated mostly on subways. It obviously didn't hurt Ford at all to campaign for the rejection of a three year old plan in favour of ideas that were around for decades, even though he subsequently had to compromise on Eglinton, and even if Sheppard is a pie-in-the-sky scheme.

As for the professional transit planners at the TTC, they have to go along for the ride no matter who's in charge. I seriously doubt they were all privately in favour of Transit City, or are all gung-ho for Ford's current ideas.

How is Woodbine Live going. This sounds like the kind of project Doug Ford wants ... and it's in his ward. Doesn't seem to have been a new press release in over 2 years - http://www.woodbinelive.com
If you want to harp about Woodbine Live, then Rob Ford or Kyle Rae or Suzan Hall should be your targets. That project stalled 2 years before Doug even threw his name into the ring to become a councilor.

No, it's tasked with preparing properties for sale.
True. Both, really. They didn't put 'build' in the name for kicks - the idea is to take city properties and make something of them.

This article is bang on.

We're talking mobility, not gravy by Eric J Miller

"There’s no gravy train in the City of Toronto, but there is a wrecking ball and it’s aimed directly at our transportation system. Since taking office last fall, Mayor Rob Ford has consistently shown a disregard for any notion of evidence-based planning of the city’s road and transit networks.

His bias against both streetcars and light rail transit (LRT) flies in the face of the fact that our current streetcar system carries many more riders a day than the entire GO Transit system and is essential to the daily functioning of the Toronto downtown."

and

"...if we continue along the current path of ideologically driven planning by decree, then, at best, we are facing another three years of acrimonious and fruitless debate and, at worst, a commitment to extraordinarily expensive projects that will do little to solve our transportation problems. Either scenario guarantees that we will be worse off three years from now than we are today.

Torontonians need and deserve better than that."

If you want to harp about Woodbine Live, then Rob Ford or Kyle Rae or Suzan Hall should be your targets. That project stalled 2 years before Doug even threw his name into the ring to become a councilor.
I'm not that familiar with how the project is going. Rob Ford was taking credit for it during the election ... so I don't see how ancient history has any bearing. What is status now? Presumably with with 2 Fords running the show, it will be moving quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back