News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received an automated poll phone call last night from Forum Research re: Rob Ford's performance (obviously different from the reported one today since I was called last night). Did I approve of his performance, has my opinion of him improved, stayed the same, decreased etc. One interesting question also asked if I would support my councillor voting AGAINST Ford's planned cuts.

If Ford's numbers continue to drop, and it appears that they will, how can he claim to have a mandate from the people if they're all against him? These kind of low numbers are typical of a lame duck Mayor who's in his last year after performing badly. To be at such a low in public opinion after less than a year on the job is unchartered territory in modern times.

How can a Mayor continue to operate like that? What are the consequences of continuing to be a unilateral Mayor when the people are banging at the doors outside City Hall. Do I think that's even a possibility? It's becoming increasingly likely that if Ford gets into the 30's and 20's that protests will definitely happen.

I don't think that Ford would resign, he'll go down whining and clinging to his 5% support if he has to. I think it's time for council to pick a shadow Mayor. I nominate Josh Matlow. He's as centrist as you can get in today's city council and is neither a Ford supporter or a Miller "pinko". He'll make a great Mayor some day, but perhaps his number will be called a lot earlier than he thought.

If Ford's numbers continue to drop, and it appears that they will, how can he claim to have a mandate from the people if they're all against him? These kind of low numbers are typical of a lame duck Mayor who's in his last year after performing badly. To be at such a low in public opinion after less than a year on the job is unchartered territory in modern times.

How can a Mayor continue to operate like that? What are the consequences of continuing to be a unilateral Mayor when the people are banging at the doors outside City Hall. Do I think that's even a possibility? It's becoming increasingly likely that if Ford gets into the 30's and 20's that protests will definitely happen.

I don't think that Ford would resign, he'll go down whining and clinging to his 5% support if he has to. I think it's time for council to pick a shadow Mayor. I nominate Josh Matlow. He's as centrist as you can get in today's city council and is neither a Ford supporter or a Miller "pinko". He'll make a great Mayor some day, but perhaps his number will be called a lot earlier than he thought.

Ford will try to govern if his support continues to erode, but he'll fail. Once his support falls low enough even his core supporters will begin to oppose him in council in fear of losing their jobs during the next election. When opposition on council reaches the 2/3 level, the city's agenda will begin to be dictated by council rather than the mayor/exec. Without strong leadership from someone though, I'm afraid we'll be faced with a deeply divided and impotent council for the rest of this term. Is there anyone on council that would be able to unit both the left and the right? I think both sides will try to form up around their own alternative candidate and we won't get anywhere.

Last edited:
I think it's time for council to pick a shadow Mayor. I nominate Josh Matlow. He's as centrist as you can get in today's city council and is neither a Ford supporter or a Miller "pinko". He'll make a great Mayor some day, but perhaps his number will be called a lot earlier than he thought.

I support this idea.

Poll coverage from those notorious letist pinkos at the National Post:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/09/14/rob-fords-approval-rating-plummets-in-new-poll/
Same poll - but a much better job of presenting the questions and results. Thanks for posting that. Here's the main graphic:

fordpollsized.jpg

Not sure what to make of the "Forum paid for the poll as a public service" bit. Since when do privately owned polling companies (businesses) do freebie research? Smells a little.

Last edited:
Ford will try to govern if his support continues to erode, but he'll fail. Once his support falls low enough even his core supporters will begin to oppose him in council in fear of losing their jobs during the next election. When opposition on council reaches the 2/3 level, the city's agenda will begin to be dictated by council rather than the mayor/exec. Without strong leadership from someone though, I'm afraid we'll be faced with a deeply divided and impotent council for the rest of this term. Is there anyone on council that would be able to unit both the left and the right? I think both sides will try to form up around their own alternative candidate and we won't get anywhere.

That's precisely the definition of a shadow Mayor. While without the tools of a Mayor, they could set policy direction and be the one to bring both sides' ideas together. I suggested Josh Matlow because he doesn't carry the baggage of being a Miller supporter which the Right in this city council are opposing but he's also not a Ford puppet. He's also becoming well known in the public with his radio show and frequent television appearances. I think he would be perfect.

Last edited:
Matlow isn't perfect for the job. Nothing wrong with being a centrist - I fancy myself a centrist - but it's been clear since before the election that Ford is an extremist unfit for the job who will destroy the city in service of a backwards ideology, and still Matlow comes right up the middle in supporting each side. Since Ford has taken office it has become even more clear that he is an extremist who can't work with others, who employs sneaky manipulation and bullying to get his way, and still Matlow expends all his energy trying to be the voice of statistically perfect moderation. The guy needs to pick a side, and the choice here is rather clear if he cares about the future of the city. Conciliation and balanced agreement are great principles, but he's not operating in an environment where these things are in any way possible.

Anyway, we've been predicting certain demise of Ford since before the election, and he continues on. We tried to assure ourselves that he was only one vote and others on council would reject his approach, but that hasn't yet happened. Let's see a couple counsellors move away from association with him before we start choosing alternative mayors.

Nice

Matlow isn't perfect for the job. Nothing wrong with being a centrist - I fancy myself a centrist - but it's been clear since before the election that Ford is an extremist unfit for the job who will destroy the city in service of a backwards ideology, and still Matlow comes right up the middle in supporting each side. Since Ford has taken office it has become even more clear that he is an extremist who can't work with others, who employs sneaky manipulation and bullying to get his way, and still Matlow expends all his energy trying to be the voice of statistically perfect moderation. The guy needs to pick a side, and the choice here is rather clear if he cares about the future of the city. Conciliation and balanced agreement are great principles, but he's not operating in an environment where these things are in any way possible.

Anyway, we've been predicting certain demise of Ford since before the election, and he continues on. We tried to assure ourselves that he was only one vote and others on council would reject his approach, but that hasn't yet happened. Let's see a couple counsellors move away from association with him before we start choosing alternative mayors.

Well expressed sentiment, typezed...half of a bad idea is still a bad idea.

And, as the article points out, these poll numbers are prior to any actual service cuts. He's become unpopular by merely suggesting these cuts -- if he actually implements them, who knows how low his polling numbers could go.

Gee, it turns out that governance is hard, after all. Who knew?

Yeah, maybe you actually do need an IQ over 100.

Yeah, maybe you actually do need an IQ over 100.

That's a good point. Perhaps candidates for mayor need to qualify for the job first. That would keep a lot of the nuts out. An IQ test, psychological assessment and criminal record should all be part of submitting a candidacy for mayor.

I disagree. I want a Mayor willing to work with everyone to make the city work. Taking a stand will just end up bouncing from one extreme to the other, as each candidate alienates people that can't identify with his/her ideology.

Pragmatism and conciliation are what I value in a politician.

I want a Mayor willing to work with everyone to make the city work. [...] Pragmatism and conciliation are what I value in a politician.
Sure, but at the same time I don't want conciliation trumping good civic planning, or for the willingness to compromise to be hijacked by extremists demanding to be accommodated. (This is pretty much what has happened to Obama in the US -- a centrist with a predilection for consensus got duped when extremists wouldn't themselves compromise.)

This thread is tending the way I expected this morning: people putting out ways and means of working around this mayor.

Now, Torontonians may be in for some shocks and surprises from the public and from other politicians, primarily because this current mayor has succeeded in polarizing the city like no one else could. Plus, we've all been lied to, and that isn't "respect for taxpayers" in any stretch of the meaning. We are in new territory as MetroMan says. I am looking to see who will be the most resourceful and inventive politician as things unfold.

Delighted I am to read that Ford's ratings are sinking "like a stone", there really is no way Ford can defend himself. I wish this were a comedy, but it isn't. It's serious business affecting Canada's largest city.

I hope that either (or both) The Star or the Globe&Mail write an article about working around the Mayor to bring it into public consciousness as a real possibility and to City Council as a tool around this mess.

Whatever happens, before the end of Ford's term, people are going to be begging David Miller to come back -- he won't :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back