News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except Maria Augimeri. Had Joe Pantalone stayed on council, I'd expect that he'd be far out of Ford's camp. Perruzza is a bit of a strange duck, at least based on his voting record.
Yup, missed her! Thanks for the correction and for restoring me some confidence in Italo-Canadians. LOL.

Think Augimeri was also arguing some oddball high principle similar to Perruzza in the runup to removing Ford's power. She might have voted against the majority decision or absented herself from a couple of votes.

This is one of those days where I wish I could stay home and watch the shenanigans unfold. Ford hasn't returned to council floor as of yet.

Let's not lose perspective here. Norm Kelly may look great when he's standing next to Rob Ford, but the guy is one of the most useless members of council. He is a perennial backbencher with no major accomplishments to his name, despite his long career. He's a climate-change denier. Up until his appointment as interim mayor, he voted in lock-step with even the most misconceived parts of Ford's agenda (e.g. firing Gary Webster). He took a Florida vacation in the middle of the ice storm.

Bottom line: Having someone as unqualified as Kelly serve as interim mayor is not good for the city. However, that's what happens when the elected mayor (e.g. Rob Ford) appoints a deputy mayor based on loyalty rather than qualifications (which ended up backfiring anyway).

I'd like to add my thanks to that of voxpopulicosmicum; other than the ice storm Florida visit, which was just Ford Nation mudslinging (and I see you already retracted that bit), this is spot on.

Why on earth are we suddenly singing Kelly's praises? I'd rather have his hand on the tiller than Ford (or even the deeply anti-urban Holyday), but he is not who I want to see as a figurehead for Toronto. He brings dignity and a fair turn of phrase to the table, but not a whole lot of substance.

Norm Kelly is neither progressive nor a great leader; his great gift to us now is merely allowing Toronto to get back to its feet and stumble towards October 27th instead of lying in the ditch in a drunken stupor. I do not discount the value of that, but it's like winning a free ticket on the lottery; better than being out of the game, but it should not be mistaken for the jackpot.

Ford is foul, but Kelly isn't really a breath of fresh air; he's palatable only because "anyone but Ford" has such resonance. If you're drowning in a swamp, even a lungful of swamp air tastes sweet. Toronto is the only city we've got to live in, and we should set our standards appropriately high.

Last edited:
If past patterns hold there's an outbreak of the crazy often occurring in the twenty minutes prior to them going to lunch at 12:30.

Goldstein said months ago that Ford should resign.

But he goes along with the Ford Nation relativizing: apparently we're not allowed to be concerned about Ford and think that he should resign and/or that he needs to answer questions unless we're at least equally worked up about ORNGE and the gas plant e-mails.

Rob may be feeling the pressure since he knows Dolittle's "Crazy Town" book is about to be released, sparking a whole new round of media inquiries. How can this guy run a full-blown campaign over the next nine months without talking to any press but feeble-minded Warmington?

Just worth considering, the book is already in the hands of reviewers and people like Jian Ghomeshi have said they already read it. We can't buy it, but it's around the city.

If he has ANY friends left, it's reasonable to assume the Fords have acquired a copy and know what's in it by now. Perhaps we will soon see the disappearing act that typically precedes any big revelations....

I think our first clue of a meltdown will be his weight gain. I think he will be able to put it back on a lot easier than he took it off. Doolittle's book should be a big test, and I can imagine the uproar if she has bad things included about their father, which I expect there will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back