8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christie Blatchford

Is anyone surprised by the lack of coverage of Ford from Can-journalism's queen of criminality and jurisprudence?

I know she was initially pro-Ford and wrote one or two op-eds in November saying it was time for him to go, but her silence on the criminal proceedings and investigation is very surprising, especially considering how zealously she covers crime stories one-tenth as juicy as Fordgate.

Here's the problem: I'm the one who created that site. I'm not sure if Google Sites is the best platform. But if people want to contribute to that, I can give them editorial rights.

Hrrrm... I really like that site (Great job!) There was an earlier version, that had a different format for the timeline... Also not a wiki. Sorry to be useless in the technology dept.

Is anyone surprised by the lack of coverage of Ford from Can-journalism's queen of criminality and jurisprudence?

I know she was initially pro-Ford and wrote one or two op-eds in November saying it was time for him to go, but her silence on the criminal proceedings and investigation is very surprising, especially considering how zealously she covers crime stories one-tenth as juicy as Fordgate.

Blatchford disgusted me with this column shortly after Ford won in 2010, and I suspect she's been trying to quietly step away from this turd ever since:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...choice-in-spite-of-themselves/article4390224/

The day I knew for sure there must be something good about Mr. Ford was the day Justin Trudeau, the son of the late prime minister and the MP for Papineau riding in Montreal, came flying in to give George Smitherman his stamp of approval and save Toronto "from the politics of fear and division," as he put it.

I voted against Mr. Vaughan, purely because I was offended that he felt the need to formalize his clear dislike and disdain of Mr. Ford. Anyone who has even walked past City Hall in recent years when council was meeting might have heard Mr. Vaughan standing to snidely rebuke Mr. Ford, or smelled his contempt for him.

Blatchford's conclusion: "Screw the elites like Trudeau and Vaughan for suggesting that Ford isn't mayor material. I don't think he's mayor material either, but I'll support him just to spite the elites."

Last edited:
Another hilarious Ford campaign strategy...

ddale8 1:28pm via Web
Interesting: Doug Ford, who's a millionaire conservative businessman, blasted John Tory using Occupy rhetoric, calling him part of "the 1%."

I love Daniel Dale and his tweets more and more every day with his insightful velvet hammer approach. Not passive aggressive (cc Joe W.), but rather informative with a touch of his personal and well-informed take on the subject. Always polite, too. I see great things ahead!!

Blatchford disgusted me with this column shortly after Ford won in 2010, and I suspect she's been trying to quietly step away from this turd ever since:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...choice-in-spite-of-themselves/article4390224/

Blatchford's conclusion: "Screw the elites like Trudeau and Vaughan for suggesting that Ford isn't mayor material. I don't think he's mayor material either, but I'll support him just to spite the elites."

Is it possible Vaughan has known all along just what kind of politician Ford is (isn't)...?

Is it possible Vaughan has known all along just what kind of politician Ford is (isn't)...?

Blatchford knew, too. I think anyone who paid the slightest attention to City Hall from 2000-2010 knew Ford would be a train wreck. Granted some of the details that have emerged since 2010 have been surprising, but the fact that Ford has been a giant shitstain as mayor is not.

I love Daniel Dale and his tweets more and more every day with his insightful velvet hammer approach. Not passive aggressive (cc Joe W.), but rather informative with a touch of his personal and well-informed take on the subject. Always polite, too. I see great things ahead!!

I am with you, he is terrific. He knows when to be serious and when to be funny. The way he handled the whole thing with Ford in December was perfect, he just used quiet intelligence and logic. That's the only time I can recall when Ford walked away with his tail between his legs. For the people running against him, this may be the way to run a campaign instead of slamming Ford's behaviour the past couple of years.

I think it is funnier that the only qualified person who is WILLING to take on the job of managing an incumbent mayor's re-election campaign is the mayors own brother.

Based on the behind the scenes given of the 2010 campaign, Doug is anything but qualified to run a campaign.

Really? Dale got all kinds of 'he's not a manly man' comments. Folks go back to John Roberts' JD MuchMusic days in almost every profile. Katy what'shername from CP24 often attracts comments on her weight. It might be sexist, depending on the context, but it happens to anyone who goes on camera.

Maybe, but I doubt if the reporter who broke the crack story was a guy who looked like Rex Murphy or Jeffrey Simpson anyone would feel compelled to comment on their appearance and/or let us know they want to jump that man's bones. Some of the comments about Doolittle's appearance were downright creepy (and something I'd expect a guy like Rob to say after a dozen pops.) She is not the story and her appearance in no way changes the calibre of her work. She is not in show business, her appearance should matter to no one.

She is not the story and her appearance in no way changes the calibre of her work. She is not in show business, her appearance should matter to no one.

In the Flare article, they quote the former deputy editor of the Star as saying

“It probably didn’t hurt that she’s attractive. Made it a bit more difficult for cops to tell her to get lost.”

I don't think he's entirely wrong. I don't doubt that people are more willing to engage with strangers who are attractive, I don't think anyone would deny such a claim. This particular stranger just happens to be smart as a whip and works for a newspaper, so being able to get people to open up helps her do her job.

Creepy comments are creepy but I don't think acknowledging that she is young and attractive in general somehow detracts from her very real accomplishments in academia and in industry.

Everyone who has been following this knows that Doolittle would have been an impressive person even if she was born a genderless amorphous blob, but it doesn't really hurt anyone to acknowledge that she's pretty.

Blatchford knew, too. I think anyone who paid the slightest attention to City Hall from 2000-2010 knew Ford would be a train wreck. Granted some of the details that have emerged since 2010 have been surprising, but the fact that Ford has been a giant shitstain as mayor is not.

Exactly. Anyone with half a brain knew what kind of politician Ford was.
And apparently, his drinking was well known all throughout city hall.
Councillors and staff need to be held to account for that .... some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back