News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to cover courts back in the day. IIRC, trials were conducted by a judge alone in cases that proceeded by summary conviction. That is, lesser offences with a maximum sentence of two years or less. Juries became an option in cases that proceeded by indictment, where crimes were more serious and carried sentences of more than two years. The defendant under indictment could chose to have his/her trial heard by a jury or judge alone.

Indictable and summary can be summarized as "more and less serious" but the maximum for summary is 6mo, not 2 years. Plenty of charges are requested (and granted) to be tried as indictable but do not carry a possible maximum sentence of 5 years which would invoke your right to a jury trial.

Some light reading... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summary_offence#Canada

I would know, I was tried for an indictable offence and was not given the option of a jury trial (as if I would have taken it anyway)

Blair's response/ interview.

Because of my devious mind , I'd say Blair's response-interview is strategic and is meant to bait the gumba brothers!

Hear my logic.....Blair is NOT reactive and does not respond emotionally. His G20 statements were strategic (if not devious) and he has the support of aides/ lawyers to consult before making formal statements. Plus, he has the right to defend himself!

Druggie Ford is making major tactical errors here!

I had a dream from an afternoon nap that Ford got into a car accident. I was down at city hall doing a sit in shift, and there was a buzz amongst the reporters. Norm Kelly came out to the elevator and gave a presser, saying Ford had crashed, and they were awaiting details. Everyone was shocked.

Do you think I need to take a break from this stuff? lol ...Since it is infiltrating my dreams?
Or could it have been one of those 'pre-cognitive' things, where I was picking up on 'something' is going to happen 'sometime soon'?

I dreamt about RoFo too! Don't remember the content but definitely he was in it!

Yes, I think you should take a break from this stuff. Me too, but I won't until this is over!!:)

I had a dream from an afternoon nap that Ford got into a car accident. I was down at city hall doing a sit in shift, and there was a buzz amongst the reporters. Norm Kelly came out to the elevator and gave a presser, saying Ford had crashed, and they were awaiting details. Everyone was shocked.

Do you think I need to take a break from this stuff? lol ...Since it is infiltrating my dreams?
Or could it have been one of those 'pre-cognitive' things, where I was picking up on 'something' is going to happen 'sometime soon'?

yikes! I'd tell you that you should get out into nature and fresh air... but it's too freakin' cold outside!

Doug Ford "plot"? I think Thug is going to burst a blood vessel in his brain over this one.

Using a world like "plot" seems hyperbolic, though not technically incorrect. Further lending credence to the perspective that the Star is out to get Doug Ford. I'm sure that's how he'll spin this.

Indictable and summary can be summarized as "more and less serious" but the maximum for summary is 6mo, not 2 years. Plenty of charges are requested (and granted) to be tried as indictable but do not carry a possible maximum sentence of 5 years which would invoke your right to a jury trial.

Some light reading... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summary_offence#Canada

I would know, I was tried for an indictable offence and was not given the option of a jury trial (as if I would have taken it anyway)

Thanks for clarifying. I was on the court beat 20 years ago, so my memory is a little hazy. Thinking back, the "two years" determined whether someone was sent to a federal prison or served their time in a territorial jail. (This was in the NWT.)

never know what to make of stuff coming from teens, whether it's attention-seeking or what, but...
@serinapizz 4h
Omg my dad and his business partners ate dinner with rob and Doug ford last night

just a follow up/confirmation on this Ford bros' dinner:
Chantelle Bianchi ‏@cbianchix Feb 24
My dad is having dinner with Rob Ford right now lmao what a joke
@SEBASdilorenzo they are at the same restaurant lol he's sending me selfies
@_b0nks Doug was definitely there lol

I don't think they want to 'cover for him', it's just a bit gauche to shit-talk your 'coworkers' even if they're terrible. If Nenshi said Ford wasn't a distraction, that means he is saying he wasn't personally distracted by Ford, which true or not is a quality you want to have in a mayor. You could interpret it as him saying that he was focused on his work.

I think it's pretty clear Nenshi holds opposing views to Ford on practically every issue but he still plays nice with the other kids; I like that about him.

Dunno about Hazel she's just weird.

Yes, exactly, about Nenshi. (No comment from me on Hazel, due to total ignorance.)

Nenshi, like all the other big-city mayors, is a politician, with all the good and bad that goes along with that. I think he's smart, candid, competent, and acts in the public interest to an unusually positive degree. But he's a politician. What is the downside, for him, to be non-committal about the horrific slow-motion train-wreck that is Rob Ford and his team? What is the upside, for Nenshi, of saying what he really thinks, at the cost of reporters constantly asking him, What's the latest in your beef with RoFo?, instead of, How do feel about being misunderstood, underfunded, screwed over yet again by the AB govt?, or How do you feel about your fight about who should pay for roads, sewers, and schools in new developments?

(Plus, mitigation measures for future floods. Don't get me started on that ... )

UTers and other Toronto citizens: It's your job to hold RoFo to account and do all you can to get him crushed in the 2014 election. Mayors of other cities have other problems to worry about.

Using a world like "plot" seems hyperbolic, though not technically incorrect. Further lending credence to the perspective that the Star is out to get Doug Ford. I'm sure that's how he'll spin this.

I disagree, "plot" is quite telling about the Fords' acts of "getting even".

yikes! I'd tell you that you should get out into nature and fresh air... but it's too freakin' cold outside!

That is the thing. I get exercise outside everyday: down by the lake, in the park, at the gym. Even in the cold. :)
It was weird that the dream happened, because I haven't thought of RF *in that way* before.

In addition, the storyline in many places today was "Montreal mayors criticize Ford", then Ford's response to the criticism. He gets to play victim AGAIN, while there was a lot less media attention, outside of Twitter, at his attempt to skive off early to see the stadium site.

I think Nenshi knows what DNFTT means.

In addition, the storyline in many places today was "Montreal mayors criticize Ford", then Ford's response to the criticism. He gets to play victim AGAIN, while there was a lot less media attention, outside of Twitter, at his attempt to skive off early to see the stadium site.

I think Nenshi knows what DNFTT means.

Agree. I Googled DNFTT and then LOLed.

Mayors in Montreal-area municipalities have an obvious political reason to portray zero tolerance for mayoral corruption and/or general scuzziness, but Nenshi, mayors of Edmonton, Vancouver, and probably a bunch of others are, out of self-interest, staying out of the fight.

That is the thing. I get exercise outside everyday: down by the lake, in the park, at the gym. Even in the cold. :)
It was weird that the dream happened, because I haven't thought of RF *in that way* before.

ugh, I think if I dreamt about Rob Ford I'd wake up nauseous. The only RF I dream about is my favourite tennis player. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back