News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not the thread to argue the specifics of the Eglinton Line. We're talking about streetcars in general. They have their issues. Eglinton has its issues too. Better to go with the better long term plan: subways.

Many studies were done. A subway isn't needed.
Maybe in the distant future they can convert the already underground part into a subway, but that won't be needed for a long time..

I find the pre-emptive climbdown on the 'rip out the streetcars' plan absolutely fascinating. Doug Ford's comments in the Sun and Post weren't as unequivocal as those in the Star, but clearly the Ford people are trying to play down that issue, and with good reason: it is an emotional subject and would be a potent symbol of 'Rob the Destroyer' that would get a lot of people's backs up. Also worth noting that Peter Milczyn--who is definitely a man of the right--was quoted the other day saying that he would support Ford policies except scrapping streetcars, which he couldn't possibly approve of. If that's his view, I imagine the 30 odd councillors to his left feel similar.

My question is this: why now? Doug seems to have gone out of his way to lower the temperature on this issue. Seems to me like they are extending an olive branch, and also maybe realizing that Council doesn't look so hot for anything extreme.

Also, though we sort of knew this, looks like Doug calling the shots.

This is not the thread to argue the specifics of the Eglinton Line. We're talking about streetcars in general. They have their issues. Eglinton has its issues too. Better to go with the better long term plan: subways.

The TTC has had plans for an extensive subway system in place for over 30 years. Every provincial and federal government since, has promised and reneged on funding for those subway lines. Harris stop the tunnelling that began for the Eglinton West Subway back in the 90's. Transit City is the first plan that has funding in place and the go-a-head from every level of government. Why would we even consider going back to nothing happening at all? Let's build Transit City, then in the near future, if needed, we can always add subway lines. And when we do, we should consider building the downtown relief lines before ones out to Scarborough Town Centre.

Just curious how many shops there are out there who have the manpower and vehicle capacity to take on the garbage contract for the entire city of Toronto? If there are problems with the existing contractor, how many other potential suppliers are there who can step in to the breach?

I guess you could try breaking it up by awarding contracts to service subsets of the city to different firms. But even then, how many firms are there with the capability to meet our needs? Is it really competition if there are only one, maybe two, potential suppliers?

You could contract out just the labour. Capital equipment can still be maintained by the city.

I find the pre-emptive climbdown on the 'rip out the streetcars' plan absolutely fascinating. Doug Ford's comments in the Sun and Post weren't as unequivocal as those in the Star, but clearly the Ford people are trying to play down that issue, and with good reason: it is an emotional subject and would be a potent symbol of 'Rob the Destroyer' that would get a lot of people's backs up. Also worth noting that Peter Milczyn--who is definitely a man of the right--was quoted the other day saying that he would support Ford policies except scrapping streetcars, which he couldn't possibly approve of. If that's his view, I imagine the 30 odd councillors to his left feel similar.

My question is this: why now? Doug seems to have gone out of his way to lower the temperature on this issue. Seems to me like they are extending an olive branch, and also maybe realizing that Council doesn't look so hot for anything extreme.

Ripping up street cars was never about an actual policy but more to pluck the emotional strings of drivers.
Just like 'electrification' of the GO system is virtually impossible (why does the left make it an issue?), ripping up street cars is short of impossible (unless you have a subway built to replace it.).

So what are the odds that the guy who campaigned on ending the "gravy train" and cronyism will appoint his brother as budget chief?

So what are the odds that the guy who campaigned on ending the "gravy train" and cronyism will appoint his brother as budget chief?
My guess is the chance is low, but even if he does, he'll get a free pass because Doug F is donating his salary to charity.

Rob is too busy thinking about game plans (football game plans that is) to concern himself with petty issues like justifying his campaign promises. I wonder who'll be running their business now that both of them will be working for the city?

My guess is the chance is low, but even if he does, he'll get a free pass because Doug F is donating his salary to charity.

Well, that's the rumour that's kicking around...just a rumour, obviously, but it's gaining traction.

Toronto will be like Atlanta or Dallas? That's being polite. Expect it to be more like a Detroit.

Last edited:
Rob is too busy thinking about game plans (football game plans that is) to concern himself with petty issues like justifying his campaign promises. I wonder who'll be running their business now that both of them will be working for the city?

Doug still plans to run the business. Apparently running a city the size of Toronto can be a part-time job.

I wonder what Doug's attendance record is going to be like. Hopefully better than Rob's. Maybe if they work it out right, Doug can go to Council meetings so Rob doesn't miss any football games.

So will all the suburban whiners and losers move back to Toronto if Ford wins? They have to put their money where their mouth is.

Only after Ford builds a Wal-mart downtown; strips the core of all its bike lanes; removes all parades (except the St Patrick's and Santa Clause Parade, of course), marathons, events and development which all 'impede traffic'; all 'walkers' (his word, not mine) are pushed to the sidelines to 'delegated walkways' to make room for his precious car. Then, and only then, will they move to 'the city' — which will resemble the suburbs.

I am in favour of subways over trams in the suburbs, however. The quicker and easier the suburbs are connected to downtown, the fewer cars there will be on the roads (in theory). There are plenty of suburbanites who do not like using their car and would totally appreciate a fast, easy, efficient mode to work/play downtown.

Just don't destory my downtown dream and replace it with a suburban nightmare.

Anyone care to bet on how long it takes for Doug to start showing up at meetings where Rob was supposed to be, and proceeding as if nothing's happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back