News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised there isn't a dedicated Occupy Toronto topic here. Funny thing is I live downtown, and shop downtown and haven't seen the park yet.

The message has become lost.

Now it is whether or not the occupiers should continue to swat on parkland. Wrong message is being sent out.

I'm surprised there isn't a dedicated Occupy Toronto topic here. Funny thing is I live downtown, and shop downtown and haven't seen the park yet.

A local radio personality ran a contest for the best message for a t-shirt to celebrate this event, the winner:

I'd have joined the "occupy Toronto" crowd but I had to go to work.

The message has become lost.

Now it is whether or not the occupiers should continue to swat on parkland. Wrong message is being sent out.

Too true. People said that having multiple messages would be a source of strength, but it isn't happening. Too many messages are diluting the strength of the movement.

I'd have joined the "occupy Toronto" crowd but I had to go to work.

This is pretty accurate- most people are more concerned about their day-to-day running of their lives. Only the rich and the unemployed get to mess around with the established order.

Too true. People said that having multiple messages would be a source of strength, but it isn't happening. Too many messages are diluting the strength of the movement.

The political discourse on this continent has changed since the movement began. Read any reputable newspaper and there's columns on growing inequality, economic disparity, etc. Even dissenting viewpoints that challenge the Occupy message have begun to speak in the vocabulary of the movement (i.e. the ubiquity of the "1%" as shorthand for the wealthy and powerful, etc.) and to discuss issues that, just months ago, were largely ignored by the mainstream media. This has been a huge success, countering the dominance of rightwing-origin vocabulary and agendas (i.e. "the taxpayer," "political correctness run amok," etc.). People do not have to buy the whole hog to be swayed, at some level, by the message of the occupation. There are many people who may disagree with the movement (whether that's in disagreement with the tactics, the rhetoric, the perceived extremism, etc.) who nonetheless are now talking about the wealth gap and sympathizing, at least in part, with the aims of the movement.

This is pretty accurate- most people are more concerned about their day-to-day running of their lives. Only the rich and the unemployed get to mess around with the established order.

Have you gone down and talked to the people in St. James? I have. I've met teachers, nurses, auto-workers, lawyers, farmers, artists, service sector workers, pensioners and students. Not everyone there stays there 24/7. You're likely to find me, for example, down there whenever I have some free time (I have a fulltime job and do some freelancing on the side). I don't know what kind of bubble you're living in, but the economy, the environment, and the functioning of our democratic system are hugely interwoven with the functioning of my day-to-day life.

The political discourse on this continent has changed since the movement began. Read any reputable newspaper and there's columns on growing inequality, economic disparity, etc. Even dissenting viewpoints that challenge the Occupy message have begun to speak in the vocabulary of the movement (i.e. the ubiquity of the "1%" as shorthand for the wealthy and powerful, etc.) and to discuss issues that, just months ago, were largely ignored by the mainstream media. This has been a huge success, countering the dominance of rightwing-origin vocabulary and agendas (i.e. "the taxpayer," "political correctness run amok," etc.). People do not have to buy the whole hog to be swayed, at some level, by the message of the occupation. There are many people who may disagree with the movement (whether that's in disagreement with the tactics, the rhetoric, the perceived extremism, etc.) who nonetheless are now talking about the wealth gap and sympathizing, at least in part, with the aims of the movement.

I don't know how much strong support OWS gets. Discourse may have changed, but are people clamoring for governmental reform? Or are they think that the Occupy movement is more of buzz of discontentment? The average middle-class family might agree with more economic equality, but the current North American system isn't bad enough that they'll constantly hound their representatives or come down to the site to rally.

Have you gone down and talked to the people in St. James? I have. I've met teachers, nurses, auto-workers, lawyers, farmers, artists, service sector workers, pensioners and students. Not everyone there stays there 24/7. You're likely to find me, for example, down there whenever I have some free time (I have a fulltime job and do some freelancing on the side).

True, perhaps I shouldn't have used unemployed. However, there's also a large number of people that may support the OWS movement, but simply don't have either the time or the will to get down to the site- take for example, suburbanites.

I don't know what kind of bubble you're living in, but the economy, the environment, and the functioning of our democratic system are hugely interwoven with the functioning of my day-to-day life.

I do support some of the goals OWS is aiming for (especially less corporate influence over the government), but you'd be surprised of the number of people who think that only the economy matters (and maybe their favorite television series). Why do you think Steven Harper won the 2011 election? Surely not for his support for an open democracy or a environmentally sustainable Canada.

Last edited:
The Occupy Toronto movement is turning into an "Evict Rob Ford" movement: Occupy Toronto takes on Ford with rally at City Hall

Union groups have also joined the protests and this could be the spark that motivates those who dislike Ford but didn't think they could do anything to get him out of office. I have a hunch that this could potentially get Ford to leave office early or get the majority of council to force him out or at least ignore his agenda. [EDIT: not this 2000 person protest, but the wider protests that it can ignite]

Early on in this thread, shortly after Ford's election, I predicted that citizens of Toronto would join together in massive protests if he went ahead with his insane anti-Toronto policies, specially when it comes to cuts that affects the entire spectrum of Torontonians. Some members here didn't think it was possible. Well, here we go.

Hard to tell--I get more of a same-old, tempest-in-a-teapot vibe out of it thus far. Like, if I were to playact Ford Central, it's like, there they go again *yawn*. Presently.

Now, if it gets violent--from either end--it'd be a different matter; sad to say...

Anger is already brewing. Throw in the service cuts and strikes that are inevitable and yes, I think that unfortunately, we're going to see this turn violent, or at least very tense with authorities.

I don't want to see Nathan Phillips Square occupied by protests but that is exactly what it was designed for.

Well, among all (N American, at least) Occupy locales, Toronto seems to be unique in how the movement can intersect with a revolt against a political leader, i.e. "the enemy" isn't so generalized and abstract as elsewhere...

The Toronto Taxpayers Coalition gave city council an overall rating of C+, with Rob Ford getting a B. You can download the complete report cards as a PDF from this link.

Personally, I find the Toronto Taxpayers Coalition and the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty to be similar organizations in that they both do not represent me. I don't belong to them both and they both do not represent my views. I don't even know why I would want to join them, they are so wrong in both their campaigns.

If David Miller or George Smitherman were mayor today, I wonder if they would have let the protesters stay in the park or even give them another space in the downtown core to occupy?

I wonder if the ouster may actually help Mayor Ford. I think many of his supporters would see the Occupy people as lefty pinkos and unemployed sqatters. Ford evicting them would be a show of strength.

Please, let's stop blaming Ford for the eviction of Occupy Toronto.. It would have happened no matter who was in the mayor's seat. Let's take Vancouver for example, their uber-progressive mayor was the first to publicly show his disdain for the movement. Calgary and Nenshi are of course another... Ford or no Ford, they would have been kicked out.

Please, let's stop blaming Ford for the eviction of Occupy Toronto.. It would have happened no matter who was in the mayor's seat. Let's take Vancouver for example, their uber-progressive mayor was the first to publicly show his disdain for the movement. Calgary and Nenshi are of course another... Ford or no Ford, they would have been kicked out.

Just like Harper and McGuinty, Ford is going to be blamed for a lot of things

Just like Harper and McGuinty, Ford is going to be blamed for a lot of things

I meant at least on this site. People here are more informed than the majority, and they should know that Ford is just like any other progressive mayor when it comes to this matter.

Vancouver's mayor was also in the middle of an election against an opponent who was anti-Occupy. Knowing someone who worked on the campaign, he didn't want to make it a divisive issue. It's not quite the same atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back