News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the ouster may actually help Mayor Ford. I think many of his supporters would see the Occupy people as lefty pinkos and unemployed sqatters. Ford evicting them would be a show of strength.

Yep, Just reading the Toronto Sun comment section by the Ford nation members the majority of them think the army should be called in :rolleyes:

As if asking them to shovel snow isn't humiliating enough. Like seriously.
Do tend to agree the eviction issue has little to do with Ford.

AoD

Ford looking for ‘scabs,’ OFL says - Article from The Star
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1090449--ford-looking-for-scabs-ofl-says?bn=1#article

This is sounding like it's going to be a disaster. If ever there was a recipe for violence during labour protests...

The specificity of the Deputy Mayor's language is also telling, emphasis mine. “I believe there is nothing to that claim,” said Holyday, chair of the city’s labour relations committee. “I know for a fact that Rob Ford personally hasn’t interviewed anybody.”

I meant at least on this site. People here are more informed than the majority, and they should know that Ford is just like any other progressive mayor when it comes to this matter.
Filip, you need to write a bit more carefully. You just called Ford a "progressive mayor".

But I agree that Miller, etc. would also have had to evict.

The specificity of the Deputy Mayor's language is also telling, emphasis mine. “I believe there is nothing to that claim,” said Holyday, chair of the city’s labour relations committee. “I know for a fact that Rob Ford personally hasn’t interviewed anybody.”

It's like the Bill Bliar quote: "Ford didn't use the word 'bitches'. No more questions."

Ford looking for ‘scabs,’ OFL says - Article from The Star
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1090449--ford-looking-for-scabs-ofl-says?bn=1#article

This is sounding like it's going to be a disaster. If ever there was a recipe for violence during labour protests...

"Nothing has ever been accomplished without a little civil disobedience,†he noted.

That kind of talk will just polarize the electorate even more.. considering how stubborn someone like Ford is, these union thugs will simply justify Harpers new prisons... Oh wait... more overtime for union workers...it all makes sense now.

"Nothing has ever been accomplished without a little civil disobedience,” he noted.

That kind of talk will just polarize the electorate even more.. considering how stubborn someone like Ford is, these union thugs will simply justify Harpers new prisons... Oh wait... more overtime for union workers...it all makes sense now.

The statement may be polarizing, but it is correct. The term "civil disobedience" doesn't imply violence though. The violence will come when the union members refuse to let the scabs cross the picket line and the police are called in as a result. If Ford thinks he can keep services running through all this he's even dumber than most people on here give him credit for. The city, the unions and the police all have tarnished reputations right now....By the end of it, those reputations won't just be tarnished anymore. They'll be caked in sh#t.

This is going to be a nasty winter for the city.

Other than waiting for their closeup, Mr. DeMille - the photo-op of resisting arrest - there's not much more that Occupy can achieve by staying in the park compared to the possibilities of taking their show on the road with unannounced special guest appearances.

If Ford thinks he can keep services running through all this he's even dumber than most people on here give.
I don't care either way. During the last strike the only city service I noticed missing was garbage collection. By the end the Cabbagetown residents association had hired a dumpster to manage the trash, and the neighbours mowed the grass in the local parks and cleaned garbage bins. These residents weren't scabs, but simply said collectively if the folks we pay won't do the job, then we'll do it ourselves.

Ask yourself, what city services will you miss if there is a lock out or strike? As for myself, I have no need for any municipal permits or licenses, never call or visit city hall, etc.

The Toronto Taxpayers Coalition gave city council an overall rating of C+, with Rob Ford getting a B.

I don't think I've seen anything quite so stupid as their criteria before.

"Grades" are based on how they voted on 5 "Key Votes".

You basically got an A or B if you voted for all 5, and got an F if you didn't. LOL

The 5 "Key Votes" are questionable at best.

The first one is "Voted for freezing property taxes in 2011".

This "TTC" seems to think voting in favour of this makes you fiscally responsible, when in fact, any councillor who voted in favour of freezing taxes was committing a fiscal mistake. Every councillor was fully aware that the City in no way could afford to freeze taxes or cut the VRT for 2012 without it putting Toronto in an even deeper fiscal deficit hole for 2012. Anyone who voted YES was a moron.

The second one..Voted for accountability at Toronto Community Housing

No such vote took place. Voting "NO" on TCHC issues did not mean a "YES" vote for people not being accountable.

The other three are equally stupid.

The Toronto Taxpayers Coalition is a non-partisan advocate for lower taxes and reduced spending.

Is that kinda like how Fox News is "Fair and Balanced"?

Other than waiting for their closeup, Mr. DeMille - the photo-op of resisting arrest - there's not much more that Occupy can achieve by staying in the park compared to the possibilities of taking their show on the road with unannounced special guest appearances.

I agree with you in general that the eviction does present new opportunities for the movement to grow and evolve, there is one huge loss that comes with it. For the past few weeks, the homeless, the mentally ill, and yes, even addicts, have descended on the park. They have been fed, sheltered, and have become engaged with the wider community. They have, along with the rest of the occupiers, learnt how to organize and mobilize. They've had access to the free library, different modes of thinking, and, crucially, an environment where they are treated with respect as equal citizens of this city. I've seen this outreach work transform the attitudes of both members of these marginalized groups and the others in the park. It's a wonderful, if at moments messy, dynamic that may be lost in the eviction. Some of the interactions I've had and witnessed in the park over the past few weeks, and especially over the past few days, have really changed the way I look at a lot of the problems in society. I understand that some of those most involved in this work are now trying to find a permanent (indoor) home for this sort of activity. I certainly hope they can find one.

I don't care either way. During the last strike the only city service I noticed missing was garbage collection. By the end the Cabbagetown residents association had hired a dumpster to manage the trash, and the neighbours mowed the grass in the local parks and cleaned garbage bins. These residents weren't scabs, but simply said collectively if the folks we pay won't do the job, then we'll do it ourselves.

Ask yourself, what city services will you miss if there is a lock out or strike? As for myself, I have no need for any municipal permits or licenses, never call or visit city hall, etc.

I guess it would depend on how long it drags on, and both sides seem prepared to settle in for the long haul. What about snow clearing? Would that be affected by a potential lockout? I'd see that as being the largest issue during the winter. One snow storm could potentially paralyse the city for days if there aren't any snow plows out clearing it away.

You seem to be remarkably short-sighted about the effects of a strike; if there are no staff issuing permits or doing inspections or planning road construction there will be inevitable backlogs and this will impact us all. For one thing if there are no permits then UTers will be left with little progress to report on all our favourite projects. :-> Like the hidden municipal infrastructure such as water mains and sewers there is a hidden bureaucratic infrastructure that actually makes things happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back