News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Doolittle is to be believed, Rob gathered those contacts by returning phone calls from home, after work hours. He may take that to mean it's not a product of his office (in the sense of the physical premises as well as referring to the position he holds), but I don't know if it would legally be seen that way.

Even if he did gather them through his work, he was actually doing work. They called him, he called them back, and presumably made some kind of effort to resolve their issues. That he kept their numbers and then used them to build his voter base is less concerning to me ethically, though I can't really explain it.

What he's doing now is very different - he is cold calling TCHC residents, not waiting for them to call him. He is actively campaigning under the guise of being a helpful mayor. As for writing down names and numbers, I'm only speculating. During the ice storm someone reported that his staff were taking down names and numbers at a TCHC building, but I doubt they've stopped.

Just gotta keep him out of jail, that's all.

Even if charged he should likely make bail.

Trial, conviction and sentencing - if it were to happen - could take a long time ( years, perhaps? ).

During that time, he could still legally be re-elected and remain mayor unless / until actually serving a prison sentence ( if that were ever to happen ).

That is how I understand the situation. Correct me if I am wrong.

That he kept their numbers and then used them to build his voter base is less concerning to me ethically, though I can't really explain it.

Every politician (or at least every politician who hopes to be re-elected) does this. However, most use a computer rather than collect file boxes of loose paper.

Even if charged he should likely make bail.

Trial, conviction and sentencing - if it were to happen - could take a long time ( years, perhaps? ).

During that time, he could still legally be re-elected and remain mayor unless / until actually serving a prison sentence ( if that were ever to happen ).

That is how I understand the situation. Correct me if I am wrong.

Exactly! even if Rob were tried and convicted any time soon, there are a zillion roadblocks the Fords could throw up to keep him out of prison for years---during which time, if they're betting on their notoriety, a conviction couldn't even hurt.

Not rhetorical at all. It's all part of taking Ford Nation to Ford Globe.

Dougie's getting set to be Premier of Ontario. Robbie, as we know, will be Prime Minister of Canada. Little Mickey is getting prepped to take over Etobicoke North. And the Global part will be when Kathy becomes Secretary General of the United Nations.

You read it here first, folks.

Ha! Well, just because I think they're aiming for a reality TV gig more than a mayoralty doesn't mean I think it's any more likely. I just think its' where Doug is putting his proverbial eggs these days. Clearly the campaign is poorly run but everything they're doing suggests that US media coverage is more interesting and valuable to them than Toronto coverage. Toronto, they're slowly realizing, is a lost cause. But the world? That'll take a little longer to get through their heads.

It's also something I've said before but I think Rob has built up Oct. 27 so much in his mind (with plenty of help from mom, Doug etc.) that I can only imagine, very sincerely, the psychological crash he will face when he pulls in maybe 15% of the vote with no ability to grasp the why and how. Eventually reality will hit hard and I'd like to think there is SOMEONE around Ford who will be there before he hits rock bottom.

How come so many of these guys still live at home with their parents?

Because low level crime doesn't pay very well. It's easier to make ends meet if you can live at home for free. It's also less conspicuous - low reported income won't attract the attention of the CRA if you don't have mortgage payments to make. Plus, drugs are a cash business so their credit ratings are probably non-existent.

Last edited:
That's when you need a Lloyd Bentsen type response, "I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy."

I'd be more interested in a Lee Harvey Oswald type response.

Whoops. Too far?

Because low level crime doesn't pay very well. It's easier to make ends meet if you can live at home for free. It's also less conspicuous - low reported income won't attract the attention of the CRA if you don't have mortgage payments to make. Plus, drugs are a cash business so their credit ratings are probably non-existent.

It's crazy that their parents would put up with it.
MY parents would never have let me nor any of my siblings live with them while we sold drugs etc.
So either their parents don't know, or they are corrupt too, and don't care.

Last edited:
I'd be more interested in a Lee Harvey Oswald type response.

Whoops. Too far?

Famous last words between Oswald and his guard as they stepped off the elevator, “Lee, I hope that if anybody shoots at you, they are as good a shot as you were.”

Oswald grinned and replied: “Nobody’s going to be shooting at me."

Last edited:
So Rob Ford has been touring buildings today because he'd gotten reports of bedbugs. Trying to track down Sandro maybe?

Hate to admit it, but it would be a stroke of diabolical genius if the Fords turned their campaign into a reality show. It would definitely get ratings, maybe even pay for a good chunk (or more) of the campaign.

Then, if they lose, they have another show ready to go: "Mayor in Trouble", wherein Toronto's notorious crack ex-mayor travels to towns and cities throughout the USA tackling 'constituent' micro-problems like dirt piles and potholes. Also handing out business cards by the thousands. Plus, magnets! Hilarious hijinx ensue every episode when Rob 'goes off the grid', setting off a frantic search by an exasperated Doug, only to eventually emerge, flushed and spouting gibberish. Boffo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back