News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps JF covered for a Ford and got caught, why he was so upset in the whole process, blinded by family friend allegiance and now forced to step aside due to the splatter....?

Go back to RoFo's comments "bigger heads will roll" and "the damage is done".

Go back to RoFo's comments "bigger heads will roll" and "the damage is done".

In retrospect, I feel like what he may have been expressing to his staff was the same thing he implied in November: that other members of council do drugs or have done drugs as well. He just expressed it in his usual overblown, hyperbolic way. Other than the original Gawker article, I haven't really seen anything else imply an apocalypse of Canadian politics wrapped up in Ford's drug activity. Jimmi T has also said tomorrow's ITO does not contain anything about Flaherty, and there have been signs he'd resign for a while now. So colour me skeptical about this angle. I think it's just convenient timing.

Already happened, only a matter of time until it recurs:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ing-doctors-told-me-not-to-do/article4468845/

Asthma, sure. Could also be "crack lung."

Also contains one of Ford's best quotes:

“I think you have every right to know. You’re my boss, right?†he said. “You pay my wages and when something’s wrong the taxpayers should be the first to know. My life’s an open book and that’s how I keep it.â€

That should be thrown in his face at every opportunity, which is daily.

First thing I thought reading this article was: OD

I wonder who will start the rounds of denials when the announcements start, and how far things will reach.

In retrospect, I feel like what he may have been expressing to his staff was the same thing he implied in November: that other members of council do drugs or have done drugs as well. He just expressed it in his usual overblown, hyperbolic way. Other than the original Gawker article, I haven't really seen anything else imply an apocalypse of Canadian politics wrapped up in Ford's drug activity. Jimmi T has also said tomorrow's ITO does not contain anything about Flaherty, and there have been signs he'd resign for a while now. So colour me skeptical about this angle. I think it's just convenient timing.

I'm inclined to agree and believe the 'happy coincidence' angle myself. His retirement has been coming for months, it really could have been any time, but he's picked his spot that his retirement and the news of his replacement suck up a good chunk of the news cycle on the day on the latest ITO release for his family friend.

First post.

It seems Flaherty's exit was on his own terms and his own timing. That's what makes it a surprise. As for motive, he is well positioned to leverage his government career into a substantial private sector pay hike. He's simply cashing in.

First post.

It seems Flaherty's exit was on his own terms and his own timing. That's what makes it a surprise. As for motive, he is well positioned to leverage his government career into a substantial private sector pay hike. He's simply cashing in.

Maybe, maybe not. None of us have any idea one way or another.

We are left with reasonable assumptions, and it is reasonable that Flaherty, a federal finance minister, is really leaving politics for private sector opportunity. It's not a Rob Ford universe, despite the existence of this enjoyable, interesting, thread.

First post.

Income splitting was probably the last straw. Harper must have given him an ultimatum to put up or leave in time to get the new minister up and running before the next election. Or he just got sick of dealing with the uber neocons. He could be in line for US ambassador or something in a year or two. Don't expect a job announcement any time soon, but he will probably go to a McKenna-type role at one of the banks.

And Ford almost certainly has nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back