News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's not about Ford, it's about the status quo. If Ford is shown to be corrupt to Ford Nation, and they actually turn on Ford, there is no way in hell the Cons will get them back, for years...

I can't imagine the diehard nutters of Ford Nation ever voting Liberal or NDP, no matter what.

I may be missing something here, but how is what he said crude or racist? I mean it's clearly just another off-the-cuff Doug Ford lie like "he's a social liberal" or "he's the white Obama", but I don't really find there to be any racism in his comment. Mandela fought apartheid which specifically segregated black people; Mandela was black; so he said "no guys listen we support the black community".

It's dumb (HOW does he support them?) but it's not racist.

So basically Doug was saying 'Rob's already done enough for black people, plus Mandela was in South Africa, not here, and renaming even part of a street is gravy, respect for taxpayers, zing'?

It seems like the longer they sit on something this potentially explosive, it's more possible for cracks to appear in the dam and the possibility of Ford getting off some technicality seems more and more likely.

Pugwash sounds defensive. Is it possible that leaks like this, to the Star and whoever else, are meant to soil the investigation?

I think I have a bit of a handle as to what's going on here (note, no inside info, just speculation).

1. Incoming OPP chief gets handed the file on Day 1 in office. Trust me, this guy wants Ford's head, but also doesn't want investigation to collapse. ALSO wants to show that he's a new broom, independent and so on. A classic recipe for throwing the file back at TPS and asking for further and better particulars.

2. In particular, if the argument is that Rob and Lisi thought they were being blackmailed, why aren't you charging the blackmailers? "Oh, we don't have evidence for that". Well, there goes your motive. "But all we need to prove is they THOUGHT they were being blackmailed." Nuh, uh, if you don't go after the blackmailers too it looks political.

So TPS are frustrated because they feel they have RoFo bang to rights, which they do, but New OPP Guy is feeling his power and also determined not to be made to look like an ass. Wants the to go and do more homework. After a long investigation like this which they thought was over bar the shouting, very frustrating for them. But the kind of thing that happens all the time in other arenas.

I can't imagine the diehard nutters of Ford Nation ever voting Liberal or NDP, no matter what.
Well hope for the fringes then. Ford is a populist way more than a dogmatic conservative, people that vote populist are easily swayed...

So theory based on nothing but my own scattered thoughts:
Fantino is friend of the family. Uses influence to get the new OPP commissioner the job on the basis of new guy obscuring the ford investigation.
It can't be a coincidence that this happened right after the old commish retired. It echoes MM's sentiment about a politically based slowdown.
On the what do they get out of it question: new commish gets a job, Fantino gets a loyal goon back in the OPP (always handy to have cops in your back pocket especially if you're a politician these days). OPP has no reputation to lose, they just got the investigation. The get to wash their hands and make the TPS look bad on the process (which doesn't need a reason beyond pride). I think look into the background of the new OPP commish, and people may find an answer.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So theory based on nothing but my own scattered thoughts:
Fantino is friend of the family. Uses influence to get the new OPP commissioner the job on the basis of new guy obscuring the ford investigation. .................

One problem with this train of though. The new commish was chosen before Blair decided to hand the file over to the OPP.

One problem with this train of though. The new commish was chosen before Blair decided to hand the file over to the OPP.

Yeah, and the star is reporting that OPP and TPS were butting heads "almost immediately" - so under the old comish

This interview from a couple of years ago says he was the deputy commish. so I doubt Fantino had anything to do with his appointment.

[video=youtube;gskO7hitBB8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gskO7hitBB8[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back