News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I understood why I give a crap about all these Rob Ford problems. I live in the States, I can’t vote, and yet I’m as embarrassed and angry as most of the posters here, and I haven’t missed a page since I first arrived. I don’t know what I can do constructively – I certainly can’t figure out how to solve the criminal issues if the cops with all the evidence and all of you watching the street haven’t yet managed. I would welcome suggestions for how I and other like-minded, lurking US citizens can help, just for the continued improvement of global society. Maybe we just help raise social consciousness locally and it spreads north across the border.

So, I just spent a year in Europe. The frenzied crowds taking selfies with the Mona Lisa, the 'original' gigglers taking photos holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the selfies in front of every famous painting... bah. Cellphone cameras are the worst. Personally, I'd take the cellphone of the 'innocent people' and grind it under my heel. But I'm a curmudgeon who doesn't understand the need for self-gratification through bad photography.

Uhh... if that's what you got from a year in Europe, is tasteless tourists, then man you fucked up.

Dale just said a story about Ford at the ACC will be up shortly. Don't know if it's his or someone elses or if anything else will be in it.

With the news last week that Ford's first fundraiser would be held outside of Toronto city limits, I think we need to take a look at the rebates available for donations to Toronto election campaigns. Although I don't think it is possible to restrict donations to campaigns from outside the city, I think it is quite reasonable to limit the rebate program to those Toronto taxpayers and residents. As these rebates are paid from the city coffers, only those who are contributing to the city should be eligible. If you live outside of the city, you are still welcome to contribute - just don't expect to be compensated from our tax revenues...

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=72c5715242ccd310VgnVCM1000006cd60f89RCRD
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/2013/law1108.pdf

Last edited:
how I and other like-minded, lurking US citizens can help

Other than spreading the news about his terrible "track record" to Torontonians, there is literally jack shit you can do other than fast-tracking your citizenship and buying property in Toronto and therefore being eligible to vote in the election.

Dale just said a story about Ford at the ACC will be up shortly. Don't know if it's his or someone elses or if anything else will be in it.

Why are we even surprised anymore? Leafs lost, Rob Ford was an idiot, traffic was still terrible and the street cars were fucked up.

Welcome to Toronto. Enjoy your stay.

Other than spreading the news about his terrible "track record" to Torontonians, there is literally jack shit you can do other than fast-tracking your citizenship and buying property in Toronto and therefore being eligible to vote in the election.

I wouldn't be quite so harsh to westyvt. Really, just knowing that there are people outside our borders who care about this story and sympathize with us makes me feel better. It doesn't change much, but it helps, and we need to take what we can get at this point.

BkgZQKLCMAEnwQV.jpg

Attachments

• BkgZQKLCMAEnwQV.jpg
    BkgZQKLCMAEnwQV.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 722
I would welcome suggestions for how I and other like-minded, lurking US citizens can help, just for the continued improvement of global society.

Marry a Canadian, get your citizenship, move to Toronto and VOTE! ( and vote often :cool: ) We need all the help we can get!

Last edited:

the weird thing is that there's no doubt in my mind that this will turn out very well - just sharing the frustration of not feeling effective

I wish I understood why I give a crap about all these Rob Ford problems. I live in the States, I can’t vote, and yet I’m as embarrassed and angry as most of the posters here, and I haven’t missed a page since I first arrived. I don’t know what I can do constructively – I certainly can’t figure out how to solve the criminal issues if the cops with all the evidence and all of you watching the street haven’t yet managed. I would welcome suggestions for how I and other like-minded, lurking US citizens can help, just for the continued improvement of global society. Maybe we just help raise social consciousness locally and it spreads north across the border.

I'm just perplexed at how most people outside of Toronto can see him for what he is but so many who live here are the complete opposite. I don't think there is anything you can do. I wish we could do more!

I wouldn't be quite so harsh to westyvt. Really, just knowing that there are people outside our borders who care about this story and sympathize with us makes me feel better. It doesn't change much, but it helps, and we need to take what we can get at this point.

I'm not being harsh. I wasn't even being mean. On the jerk level I think I would score quite low. I just mean, what *do* you think you can do as a non-citizen? Nothing. It's municipal politics. You can, like, be aware.... and make other people more aware... but that's about it.

I don't see what was harsh about what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back