News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miller was so hated by the end of his term that he then directly led to the election of Ford.
You seem to hate Miller so much that you're making things up. Polls during the last election shows that Miller would have been re-elected.

Ford was elected because he lied to people that he wouldn't cut services, and people believed him. And that there wasn't any real viable opposition. A quality candidate like David Miller or John Tory would have beaten Ford.

$10/month to use a car in Toronto is a good start. I remember my co-workers who drive talking about how they voted for Ford because of that "horrible" $60 VR tax. Then a day later they walk in with a brand new $500 smartphone. Hilarious.

As for that poll--which side paid for it--the left or the right? I answered all the questions and in the end, I said I'd vote for Adam Vaughan as mayor. In second place would be Rob Ford.

A quality candidate like David Miller or John Tory would have beaten Ford.

A: How does John Tory = "quality" ?

B: The 5th most powerful force in the universe, is the one that prevents John Tory from winning any election.

In other news, the mayor prevented a huge city worker strike today. Something Miller failed miserably at. Just one more thing UT will never give him credit for. :)

I'll give him credit for it. So the complete list of positive things that Ford has done are:

Preventing a strike
Graffiti Blitz

Good job Mr. Ford!

Shelley Carroll is a suburban councillor. She's a capital-L Liberal but she's got cred with council's NDP bloc. She's got a lot going for her going into 2014.
Maybe by then she'll actually be capable of making up her own mind whether to run instead of whining that no one asked her in 2010.

As for that poll--which side paid for it--the left or the right?.
Whoever paid for it, a poll about a hypothetical candidate who had already bowed out was irrelevant.

Since the poll was published in the Sun, it may say something that the only polls published were Stintz vs Ford and Stintz-Vaughan-Ford, and other tableaus (straight Ford-Vaughan/Carroll/Tory) were suppressed...

Gasoline tax value in Ontario

You're VERY wrong! Gas taxes don't even nearly cover the costs of road maintenance. The Ontario government subsidizes drivers by a huge amount. So you'd be cool with gas taxes doubling or tripling? It's funny how certain people say everyone should pay their own way, except when it comes to Hydro, driving and education. NOBODY really pays the full cost of what they use and if they were forced to, they'd scream bloody murder, including, most likely, yourself.

Average tax on gasoline at current pricing: $0.29/L for Ontario. Number of cars: 10.4 million. Average gasoline usage per car: 3000L per year. Total value of gasoline tax in Ontario: 10,400,000 x 3000 x $0.29 = $9,000,000,000.
Are you SURE there isn't enough in that to fix the roads??

This city has become so divided that it needs its next mayor to be one who can heal the animosity that is left v. right, suburbs v. downtown, bikes v. cars etc. etc. I can't think of a better candidate than John Tory for that. He is a consensus builder, he is, on many isues, socially progressive yet always fiscally conservative and tends to look at issues on their own merit. I also believe that he views the responsibility of political office with a reverence and respect that is completely foreign to Rob Ford.

Whoever paid for it, a poll about a hypothetical candidate who had already bowed out was irrelevant.

Perhaps you should have a look at the definition of "irrelevant", bearing in mind that the poll was brought up in response to the following statement:

Miller was so hated by the end of his term that he then directly led to the election of Ford. :)

This city has become so divided that it needs its next mayor to be one who can heal the animosity that is left v. right, suburbs v. downtown, bikes v. cars etc. etc. I can't think of a better candidate than John Tory for that. He is a consensus builder, he is, on many isues, socially progressive yet always fiscally conservative and tends to look at issues on their own merit. I also believe that he views the responsibility of political office with a reverence and respect that is completely foreign to Rob Ford.

I'm fine with John Tory and all your lovey-dovey "healing the animosity" stuff, on one small condition: I get to watch Rob Ford and every person who voted for him be flogged to near-death and then publicly drawn and quartered.

After that, I promise I will consider the matter settled and let bygones be bygones. ;)

This city has become so divided that it needs its next mayor to be one who can heal the animosity that is left v. right, suburbs v. downtown, bikes v. cars etc. etc.

Well, I don't believe in that. I don't think there is a happy medium on these matters, and I don't want to vote for a mayor who would waste time trying to find one.

I think liberal thinking should prevail over conservative thinking.
I think sustainable urban planning ideas should replace suburban notions.
I think pedestrians, cyclists and public transit should be the priority. There is a war on the car...and I think the car should lose.

He is a consensus builder

John Tory is just a lot of people's "Dr Feelgood".

What evidence we have of John Tory's political abilities proves he is a failure. Why would you want to vote for him? I don't want any hand-holding going in Council...I want shit done...and the right kind of shit too. If you can't persuade them...drag them kicking and screaming.

Last edited:
I also believe that he views the responsibility of political office with a reverence and respect that is completely foreign to Rob Ford.

That's faint praise, as Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS would have more respect for the office than Rob Ford.

She would also stand a better chance of being elected than John Tory. John Tory would lose if he ran un-opposed.

John Tory likes to pretend to run things from his radio show instead. Speaking of which, this is the same radio station that strongly supported Rob Ford's campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back