News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be surprised if Rob's rehab isn't in Chicago. He likely just flew out of Buttonville to Chicago to avoid the press at Pearson and could be connecting to a different flight in Chicago. Or he could be laying low in Chicago at one of Doug's properties and deciding where to go from there.

On a whole other level it says a lot that no tears were shed by Doug for his other crack-addict sibling. Why isn't she being hauled to the best. rehab. ever?

Do we even begin to suspect that this rehab stunt is the opening act of an actual tv reality show? Doug dreamed up Cut the Waist, could this be his next opus - Can the Booze (and Stuff)? Daily physicals with Ben, pep talks from Cherry, drug lectures from that Trailer Park Boy, weekly progress report with Jimmy.

I actually found myself thinking about this possibility last night. I know there's been plenty of speculation here about the Fords turning to reality tv should they suddenly get ejected from the political world...and should Slob and Thug manage to avoid prison, natch. But even if such a plan ever came to fruition, I just don't see it panning out for them.

When you get right down to it, the only truly unique thing about Ford is the way he's holding an entire city hostage to his own ambitions, and a large, metropolitan city at that; not some provincial backwater out in the American deep south. Everything else about him we've seen in plenty of other far right demagogues in both government and the media over the past 20 to 30 years. Mainly across the border, yes, although we're seeing plenty of our own prime scumbags at work in more recent years. (Mammo comes to mind, for one.) But every one of Ford's predecessors who tried to cash in and make it big on television crashed and burned. None of them were sufficiently mainstream enough to appeal to a wider audience beyond the John Bircher fringe element that already supported them.

Rush Limbaugh's various attempts at becoming a tv star were abject failures. When "Dr." Laura Schllesinger turned her venomous 'talent' to the television screen, she bombed immediately. Sarah Palin, who's probably closest to Ford in this regard - a former politician who snagged a reality show - ultimately failed because she was as dull as dishwater. Something that Ford shares with her in spades. He's a banal, uninteresting dullard. Like Limbaugh and Schllesinger, he has (to put it as diplomatically as possible) a face made for radio. He's a hoser. And his, er, "contributions" to the shared radio and Youtube enterpises with his brother are not exactly encouraging.

The fact that he still gets so much support from his relatively tiny pack of followers is entirely due to tribalism, not to any real wit or charisma on his part. He tells our local yokels what they want to hear, which is why they love him. That won't translate into a larger audience if/when he gravitates towards television. People will tune into the first couple of episodes out of curiosity, then promptly tune out once it becomes readily apparent how incredibly dull and boring Rofo and his hideous clan are.

Last edited:
Jamie Strashin ‏@StrashinCBC 3m
Just spoke with Doug Ford. He says Mayor left this morning and will "immediately" begin "30 day inpatient treatment" when he lands.

Jamie Strashin ‏@StrashinCBC 2m
More from Doug Ford. Mayor will attend "one of the best facilities in North America". He declined to provide location.

Is that "best" as most of us understand the meaning of the word or is it "Doug best", as in, "we hired one of the best computer guys in the country"?

I just heard one of the Ford Nation members on AM 1010, I swear some of these people are on drugs.

Thought this was interesting... just the sort of stunt that Rob Ford might pull.

Was Doug in Chicago having a meeting with Oprah about an appearance for his brother?

https://twitter.com/MesesfromTO/status/461938444848336896

That guy's an idiot #TOpoli troll, posts 50+ times a day, purely to get into it with "anti-Forders" as he calls them. He probably really thinks this whole thing is going to end with a triumphant Oprah appearance.

That guy's an idiot #TOpoli troll, posts 50+ times a day, purely to get into it with "anti-Forders" as he calls them. He probably really thinks this whole thing is going to end with a triumphant Oprah appearance.

This whole circus deserves the Gerry Springer treatment rather than Oprah. Can you imagine the cast of characters he could trot out?

It just got me thinking that, as far as the celebrity angle is concerned, that is just the sort of track a burgeoning reality star takes. Tearful apologies, empathetic line of questioning, tell all confessions, etc. on Oprah would be just the sort of triumphant turn around that's needed in the Ford's bizarro world view. They only think in media terms and this would be the best optics possible. No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back