News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know much about autism, but I understand there's only about 3-5 individuals in Griffen Centre. Is there no way Doug and a few constituents could just go in and get to know their new neighbours and the staff?

That maybe they are scared and confused in their new environment? Just say hello to them and be cheerful. It might go a long way.

Oh, I dunno. One can make the argument that Doug's comments in no way reflect the position of Toronto City Council or any of its committees. In fact, if I were a city councillor I'd contemplate bringing a motion saying exactly that, and if I were a citizen of Toronto I'd be writing my councillor urging them to do so.

I agree. The statement indicates the Human Rights Office has no "jurisdiction acts or procedures of City council or it's committees". There is sufficient wiggle room to make the case it doesn't apply:

1). Doug's statement was not an act of council
2). Doug's statement was not related to procedure
3). Doug's statement was not related to any council work

Additionally, one can NOT opt out of Human Rights Code, in any manner. Human Rights legislation is ONLY trumped by health and safety factors. Every collective agreement I've ever seen specifically states that if any clause contravenes HR or safety leg it doesn't count. So frankly, irrespective of anything on council that might be used to absolve of liability under HR is open to challenge, most likely successfully.

How long has Doug Ford Jr. been in politics? As I understand it, Robbo was pushed in about 13 years ago, but Doug seemed to hop on the gravy train much more recently. He goes on about how his family is all about devoting their lives to 'service to community' (Ha! More like "Community Service in lieu of time served", LOSER) when in fact his dad did one term as a back bencher, and was a member of one club, and he himself only got into politics once Robbie started to gain ground and he realized he could benefit from that.

'Least, that's how it appears to me.

Doug actually got bitten by the politics bug before RoFo if memory serves from reading Crazytown. He helped on someone's campaign. But he also had to work at Deco and couldn't get into politics full time. Since RoFo was useless in business, the family told him to go into politics.

Anyone on here connected to someone with access to MLS? Would love to see some data regarding recent sale prices on Jeffcoat Drive compared with their last purchase prices. This $150,000 number from Doug should be easy to refute. Thanks!

And it would be good to look up prices on Edenbridge and Windsor.

oliviachow 4:29pm via Twitter for BlackBerry
It's long past time the Fords showed everyone respect. Kids with autism deserve support not attacks from Doug Ford.

Geez, take it down a lunch, Olivia. The invective is melting my computer screen.
</sarcasm, of course>

If I was Rob Ford, I wouldn't be thinking about Oct. 2014. I would be thinking about 2034, About how he wants to be remembered.

It's not all about votes. It's to rescue his reputation. Maybe even his soul.

Last edited:
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/18/doug-ford-defends-comments-about-youth-group-home

Doug Ford defends comments about youth group home

TORONTO - Doug Ford defended himself Sunday after being sharply criticized for recent comments he made about an Etobicoke group home for developmentally challenged youth.

In an interview with the Toronto Sun, Ford said he’s “not opposed to anything” and instead blasted the Liberal government for recently shutting down a nearby youth facility — the Thistletown Regional Centre.

“It’s unfortunate that these youth have been displaced throughout northwest Toronto,” the Ward 2 councillor said. “As for myself being against it, I want to work with the Griffin House to try to find a proper location for youth like this.”

In media reports over the weekend, the mayor’s brother and campaign manager was quoted telling staff from the Griffin Centre — a non-profit mental health agency that runs the home — that they’ve “ruined the community.”

According to the Etobicoke Guardian, Ford said during a May 15 community meeting: “My heart goes out to kids with autism. But no one told me they’d be leaving the house.”

When asked on Sunday if he stood by his words, Ford said, “One hundred per cent I stand by the comments that they misled me.

“My heart bleeds, goes out for families with kids with autism,” he said.

Ford claimed the youth housed in the residence “are not autistic kids.” He said they have “criminal backgrounds” and “violent tendencies.”

“So that’s not what I was told,” he said. “Put ’em in a facility rather than sticking them in a smaller house. It’s just not right.”

In an e-mailed statement, Griffin Centre spokesman Catia Valenti Mishaiel said the organization is “disappointed in Mr. Ford’s comments.”

“We had several contacts with Mr. Ford prior to opening the residence and prior to the community meeting,” she wrote. “We are shocked by his negative comments and lack of support.”

The home is equipped for five youth, between the ages of 12 and 18, with “mild to moderate developmental disabilities and mental health challenges.”

It currently houses three, all of whom attend school in the area, Mishaiel said. Staff at the home include two overnight members.

As for police and EMS calls to the home, Mishaiel said staff sometimes require “additional support.”

“This certainly doesn’t happen daily,” she said.

Ford alleged youth have left the home unsupervised. He also alluded to car break-ins and youth wandering at night in the neighbourhood.

Mishaiel said they have “no reports of these incidences occurring from staff, neighbours or police” and that youth do not leave the home at night.

Donations, interview requests, and messages of support have “overwhelmed” the centre, she said.

Ford said he is meeting with the Griffin Centre this week.

He wants a “proper facility” like the Thistletown Regional Centre and he said he’s willing to work with all levels of government.

“I’m not going to be one of the bad guys here,” Ford said. “I try and help everyone. I’m trying to help the community, I’m trying to help the youth. I’m trying to help the Griffin Centre, so we’ll come up with a solution.”

Thistletown permanently shut its doors on March 31, two years after the provincial government announced its closure. Youth at the children’s mental health centre were moved to other organizations, including the Griffin Centre.

This article should probably be called "Doug Ford lies again".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back