News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Married 10 Nov 1924.

A widow with nine kids by 1933.

Wow - that's like one a year! Barely enough time to have nine kids - must've been pregnant practically the whole time.:eek:

Do we know how Ernest died? I note this on Rob's 45th birthday; he's now lived longer than his grandfather.

Last edited:
yup, this is a thing.
Bovmx2ZCMAAKLIh.jpg

Looks like an old bedsheet.

i'd like to "expose" another possible ford family "myth"...

doug sr. left school in grade 5, supposedly to financially assist his mother / family. why would he have to do that if he's the youngest of nine?!? wouldn't that "burden" fall on the older children? wouldn't they want the younger ones to be the ones that get to complete their education? i dunno, something just doesn't seem right there.

Maybe. But it seems likely to be the case that no one on this thread has experienced the extreme impoverishment that could have been experienced by a family of 9 children (down to 8, with the loss of Henry, by the time Doug Sr. would have been in 5th grade) and a widow on welfare during and right after The Great Depression.

Wow - that's like one a year! Barely enough time to have nine kids - must've been pregnant practically the whole time.:eek:

seems some were born out of wedlock.

some of that can be deduced from the following, which mentions a stanley ford not mentioned in Audrey Isobel FORD's obituary.

STANLEY FORD
clubshed (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2007 1:38AM
Classification: Query
LOOKING FOR INFO ON A STANLEY FORD. MOTHER CELIA FORD STANLEY WAS BORD IN 1919-1920 IN TORONTO, ONTARIO. WANT TO KNOW IF HE'S STILL LIVING. HE IS MY UNCLE MY DAD WAS HIS BROTHER SYDNEY ERNEST FORD BORMN1922

http://boards.ancestry.ca/localities.northam.canada.ontario.general/5453/mb.ashx

I would imagine that the older children would be married/gone at this point too. It would explain the lack of emphasis on education in the next generation tho. This explanation would work for the grandfather, since he was sent to Canada at that age (11)

If all 9 children were born within 9 years, or close to that (to allow for one or more pre-wedding births), by the time Doug Sr. would have been in 5th grade the eldest would have barely passed high school leaving age - so, it seems more likely that many of the children (minus the deceased Henry) would still have been at home at that time.

Last edited:
Maybe. But it seems likely to be the case that no one on this thread has experienced the extreme impoverishment that could have been experienced by a family of 9 children (down to 8, with the loss of Henry, by the time Doug Sr. would have been in 5th grade) and a widow on welfare during and right after The Great Depression.

It's possible, but by the time Doug Sr was 10 or 11 WWII was in full swing and there were jobs for women, you'd think if still at home even the older girls could have found work. By the early 40's I'd imagine it would be hard for a 10 year old to get real work that would help much beyond selling newspapers.

I would imagine that the older children would be married/gone at this point too. It would explain the lack of emphasis on education in the next generation tho. This explanation would work for the grandfather, since he was sent to Canada at that age (11)

all the kids seem to be born about a year or 2 apart... so when doug was 10, he'd have siblings ranging from, what? maybe approximately 12 - 24?

"The mayor’s nephew Michael Ford confirmed with The Globe Wednesday that the mayor plans on using Skype to chat with his supporters Wednesday evening at 6 p.m."

Surprised he doesn't show up as a hologram.

If all 9 children were born within 9 years, or close to that (to allow for one or more pre-wedding births), by the time Doug Sr. would have been in 5th grade the eldest would have barely reached or just passed high school leaving age - so, it seems more likely that most of the children (minus the deceased Henry) would still have been at home at that time.

nope... they were born over a longer period then that.

Do we know how Ernest died? I note this on Rob's 45th birthday; he's now lived longer than his grandfather.

Ernest died from a heart condition. Celia "Big Nana" was married prior to getting together with Ford, and I believe she died around 1973. It appears only one of their nine kids is still living, an aunt.

Ernest died from a heart condition. Celia "Big Nana" was married prior to getting together with Ford, and I believe she died around 1973. It appears only one of their nine kids is still living, an aunt.

so some of these kids are from previous marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back