News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, to totally nitpick, he was named after Edsel Ford, who in turn had a car named after him in the 50s, which, turned out to be a dud

But, Edsel himself was no dud and died much too young. His father seemed to sometimes enjoy publicly humiliating him.

People were a lot less twitchy about precise dates (and spellings) in those days. Many young men lied about their age to enlist in WW1 and many enlisted under false names (so their family wouldn't find them or for other nefarious reasons). It's only recently that you've needed photo ID to buy a coffee.

True - altho' in this case the false birth date made him younger (24 instead of 25 in 1914) and would have had no effect on his eligibility (unlike younger teenagers falsely claiming to be 18).

But, Edsel himself was no dud and died much too young. His father seemed to sometimes enjoy publicly humiliating him.

yup, another effed up Ford family, complete with support for nazis

re genealogy - I've done a lot of it (in the era when you still had to use, mostly, microfiche) and it isn't odd for a year to be off one or to fudge things on military records, as someone else pointed out. The medals that Ernest Ford got appear to be service medals for having been in a theatre of war - so at least no one's promoting some myth that he got the Victoria Cross or something.

Screenshot-3.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot-3.jpg
    Screenshot-3.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 726
Looks like more high quality signage supplied by Deco.

Screen Shot 2014-05-28 at 2.59.49 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-28 at 2.59.49 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-28 at 2.59.49 PM.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 619
i'd like to "expose" another possible ford family "myth"...

doug sr. left school in grade 5, supposedly to financially assist his mother / family. why would he have to do that if he's the youngest of nine?!? wouldn't that "burden" fall on the older children? wouldn't they want the younger ones to be the ones that get to complete their education? i dunno, something just doesn't seem right there.

i'd like to "expose" another possible ford family "myth"...

doug sr. left school in grade 5, supposedly to financially assist his mother / family. why would he have to do that if he's the youngest of nine?!? wouldn't that "burden" fall on the older children? wouldn't they want the younger ones to be the ones that get to complete their education? i dunno, something just doesn't seem right there.

I would imagine that the older children would be married/gone at this point too. It would explain the lack of emphasis on education in the next generation tho. This explanation would work for the grandfather, since he was sent to Canada at that age (11)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back