8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
celia mcnicol marriage 1.jpg

This looks like Celia's first marriage. "Starley Geo Harris" is "Stanley George Harris" in the full certificate. Now to look for some kids.

Attachments

• celia mcnicol marriage 1.jpg
    celia mcnicol marriage 1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 773
To support the family no doubt is Ford family history BS, as is Rob's supposed reason for dropping out of Carleton. But it is entirely plausible that a poor urban kid during the 1940s would have dropped out of primary school and obtained some form of job (such as the proverbial selling newspapers or shining shoes).

Doug Senior's little fingers were needed to fit inside the shell casings for delicate work, and thereby winning the Second World War?

According to Ancestry.ca, Ford’s first paternal ancestor in Canada may have been sent here at age 11 because he was “unruly.”

I'm imagining 80sDougFord saying that his grandpa partied with Ozzy Osbourne's grandpa.

Toronto Sun ran such an article some time ago.

I would expect that a decade earlier, but given war time and advent of labour laws, I thought the 40's were a bit better. My mother is the same age as Ford Sr. and grew up quite humbly, but still managed to get a degree etc. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think they slapped Grandpa Ford's story onto Doug Ford Sr or seriously tweaked it. I knew some farm kids who'd only done grade 8 or 10 but that was to word directly on the farm etc.

Canada's post-depression recovery wasn't instantaneous. We didn't have the same level of manufacturing here that they did in the US.

With women now strong in the workforce, post-war job options in manufacturing were fairly slim for returning soldiers. At least for a while. It took some years for many soldiers to settle down and get married and for the business infrastructure to build up to support the growth of non-military industry. Marriage tended (then) to remove a woman from the workforce.

While the depression "ended" in 1939, it didn't truly end then as much as make the job market far less competitive by shipping off so much of the able-bodied employable population overseas (like to Newfoundland :p). It was Ford Math in a sense.

The real boom in economics didn't happen until the 1950s, and the rise of the middle class.

It's not uncommon for records from that long ago to be unclear, especially for people coming over from a boat from the Old World. It wasn't uncommon for kids to leave school early to work back then (kids, not teens; KIDS). The Ford family themselves might have the information wrong without any intent to mislead. No sense in spending so much time to find some "lie" and then twisting yourself into a pretzel to "prove" that the lie is intentional and meant to paint Doug Sr. in a better light than the truth. I'm happy to look into the backgrounds of people who are still alive and might provide some insight/evidence of wrongdoings of Rob and/or Doug but this ancient stuff -- there's nothing meaningful to be found there.

except that you can never really understand the present without looking at the past. plus... who knows... a revelation about the current fords could come from a family connection.

View attachment 27289

This looks like Celia's first marriage. "Starley Geo Harris" is "Stanley George Harris" in the full certificate. Now to look for some kids.

Here's the timeline
Celia McNicol and Stanley George Harris have a son, Stanley born 5 Aug 1919. The son later uses the name Stanley Harris Ford
Celia McNicol marries Stanley Harris 18 Aug 1919 at Little Trinity Church
Sydney Ford born 8 Apr 1922 to Celia McNicol and Ernest Ford
Girl Baby Ford born & died 10 Apr 1923
Celia McNicol and Stanley Harris divorced 19 Jul 1924
Celia McNicol marries Ernest Ford 20 Nov 1924
Ernest Ford Jr born 1928 (age 7 in Nov 1935)
Henry Edsel Ford born 10 Oct 1929
other children Lorraine, Hazel, Thelma, Tim & Audrey Isobel born?
Douglas Bruce Ford born 2 Feb 1933
Ernest Ford dies 26 Jun 1933
Henry Edsel Ford dies 16 Nov 1935

huh? You're not familiar with the 1930s, I guess. People didn't think like that in those days.

We're talking about the 40's. It may well be that he did drop out but we're also working with a family that mythologized their father from a one-term back bencher to some kind of elder statesman. There were certainly people who valued education at that time and would've been against sending their 10 y/o out to work. Both of my parents grew up quite poor - especially my father - in the same era and both got through university. They also did work outside of school from teens on. Again I'm not saying it's not plausible, I just don't think anything out of the Fords' mouths passes the smell test.

yeah, the post war boom didn't happen until the 50's, just positing that jobs were available for women during the war and that some of the older Ford girls might have found war-related work. Maybe they did.

Last edited:
Here's the timeline
Celia McNicol and Stanley George Harris have a son, Stanley born 5 Aug 1919. The son later uses the name Stanley Harris Ford
Celia McNicol marries Stanley Harris 18 Aug 1919 at Little Trinity Church
Girl Baby Ford born & died 10 Apr 1923
Ernest Ford Jr born 1928 (age 7 in Nov 1935)
Henry Edsel Ford born 10 Oct 1929
other children Lorraine, Hazel, Thelma, Tim & Audrey Isobel born?
Douglas Bruce Ford born 2 Feb 1933
Ernest Ford dies 26 Jun 1933
Henry Edsel Ford dies 16 Nov 1935

interesting... kinda like kathy?

@ddale8 2m
Rule of Ford things: nothing is ever simple. RT @StrashinCBC Now apparently Mayor Ford will not be Skyping into this birthday party.

So many promises kept...

View attachment 27287

Haha, can't even hire a proof reader. "150 million" 150 million what? Hugs?

How can this have been missed? This could be excellent news to non-FoFam supporters.

DoJRFo loses big-time with single digits at the polls, and the Etobicokians realize that RoFo abandoned them to the worthless DoJRFo, and vote elsewhere. I would pay $30 to watch a live feed of the FoFam on election night, considering the potential for; booze, whoores, crack, gangstas,McKnuckle sammys,crying rat Lisis, and hopefully the look of realization on MoFo's face that she is a terrible mother.

interesting... kinda like kathy?

I'm thinking that it was a lot more difficult to get divorced back then and that there was a year or two of separation before the Ford relationship? (Giving benefit of doubt).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back