News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Charlottetown hosts newspaper industry’s largest annual conference

Scandal-plagued Toronto Mayor Rob Ford will also be front and centre at the conference - at least as fodder for a discussion on investigative journalism.

[...]

On Friday, reporters, photographers, editors and publishers from all parts of Canada will gather to celebrate and honour excellence in Canadian daily journalism at the 65th National Newspaper Awards gala at the Delta Prince Edward as well as the Canadian Community Newspaper Awards.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/L...-industry’s-largest-annual-conference/1

I bet Doug last minute thought he would toss together a birthday party and told Rob to do it and Rob went - dude no that's dumb, besides I am going out for dinner. And doug made up the rest.

so it was a child's arm. (sno man... i'm a little slow catching up.)

it's extra weird then that renata wasn't there but a leeanne was...

I'd not be so quick to call that as fact yet. It was an unknown woman (Renata wouldn't exactly be a face everyone in Bracebridge would know, and her and Leah Anne are similarly sized and hair coloured.) and names are easy enough to mix up, especially in a noisy restaurant. Besides the FoFam Cottage (where the kids likely are staying) is only about 20 mins from the place v. 45(or so) back to Greenestone the other direction. I suppose if someone spotted the blue Escape in the parking lot, we'd have a better idea, but it would help the kids get back to the cottage without a lot of fuss If mom was there. But I could be wrong.

I bet Doug last minute thought he would toss together a birthday party and told Rob to do it and Rob went - dude no that's dumb, besides I am going out for dinner. And doug made up the rest.

Myself and my mom have been following this thread for a year, and this is the kind of observation we love about it.

A bit about me, born and raised in Toronto, grew up in Scarborough, live now in central Toronto. Have been into progressive politics since I was the "guinea pig year" for all of Harris' education reforms in Ontario. I am a social worker who works as a case manager for families who have kids with disabilities, and am also diagnosed on the autism spectrum myself (I've been really enjoying your analysis of Doug's most recent antics).

Here's my RoFo "connection": in the spring/summer of 2011, I was hired as a community organizer to advocate for improved access to quality child care - which meant I once worked with a group of mothers to make depositions to Committee during the KPMG "core review". I remember that I had been advised that we would be making depositions to Rob, and I was surprised when Doug "filled his seat" at Committee that day. This was the day after Doug had written a personal cheque for $1000 to keep a breakfast program alive at a school in his ward, when the Ford administration had identified it as "gravy". I remember thinking that Doug looked like a more sinister version of Rob. Since then I've watched the RoDoFoSho with increased interest.

So glad to be here at UrbanToronto!

Last edited:
I'd not be so quick to call that as fact yet. It was an unknown woman (Renata wouldn't exactly be a face everyone in Bracebridge would know, and her and Leah Anne are similarly sized and hair coloured.) and names are easy enough to mix up, especially in a noisy restaurant. Besides the FoFam Cottage (where the kids likely are staying) is only about 20 mins from the place v. 45(or so) back to Greenestone the other direction. I suppose if someone spotted the blue Escape in the parking lot, we'd have a better idea, but it would help the kids get back to the cottage without a lot of fuss If mom was there. But I could be wrong.

If the kids were removed from the Ford home, it's possible at least one of the unknown women was with child services (pure conjecture). Also, if the kids are at the cottage, what about school? It is ​a school night.

Last edited:
welcome aboard, Bawooka. :)

Thanks, Kat_YYZ! Love your sleuthing. PS I live at Eglinton and Allen!

On May 8, I ended up in Etobicoke for dinner with an old friend, who upon hearing about my interest in the RoFo saga, took me on a tour of Rob Ford's Etobicoke. We stopped by all the spots, including Edenbridge, Sullie Gorman's and MoFo's house/DoFoSr Park. As my friend was driving us towards the end of Edenbridge towards Scarlett, I noticed how smooth the road was, and commented, "not a pothole in sight!" The Escalade was in the driveway that day.

Again regarding how important this thread has become to many people in Toronto - tonight I logged on and saw the picture of the Wexford Office birthday party spread. I called my mom to mention the Tupperware candies and bags of chips, and she was just checking out the page and seeing the BobbleBelly with the wine bottle and crack pipe. This is truly the best source of intelligent, up to the minute discussion on this unprecedented era in Toronto history.

It's a restaurant, and it's kids friendly to boot.

I think some of the Ford haters here get blinded by simple, easy explainable things.

Did I got out to a BAR during my rehab stint? Well, if you county Shoeless Joe's as a bar then yes, I ate dinner with my Dad and watched a ballgame.

Greenestone might be a very lax facility but from my own personal experience rehab is not prison, some rules are hard and fast, no drinking, no drugging, no sex with other patients, beyond that there are curfews etc. People that want to visit with family off site are encouraged as long as it doesn't jeopardize their situation.

Rob spending time with his kids is probably a positive, cut him some slack.

I agree. Rob Ford in a licensed restaurant not drinking, not being disgraceful, possibly with his kids, is just a non-story, at Toronto, national and world levels. If the kids miss a couple of days of school to see their dad trying and more or less succeeding at not being horrible, good for all concerned at a personal level.

That all said, if RoFo comes back to Toronto, stays sober, but pretends that there's no reason to answer questions about brutal racism, homophobia, savage disrespect for autistic kids (that was Doug, I know, but if Rob says nothing about it, it's Rob, too), drunk driving, letting the horrifying Star story about March 5 2014 lie there without any attempt at rebuttal, enabling McRobb to drive loaded and possibly kill self or others, utter failure to be a competent municipal leader, etc., (Jesus, so hard to be comprehensive here, I'm sure I left out some big things), and just carries on as if he's a serious candidate for mayor, that is the time to bring out the giant metaphorical Rob-Ford-smashing hammer.

If the guy quits politics, I'll still really hate him, but will give him slightly-more-than-zero respect. (Especially if he's caught on video saying Doug is an asshole. Not holding my breath about that, but, fuck, that would be fun.)

Is that cake made from puréed puppies? Thuggie always looks like a serial killer to me. Someone really should mention to him that he just should not smile. Ever.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,140
(Jesus, so hard to be comprehensive here, I'm sure I left out some big things)

He's never actually denied sending Sandro Lisi to threaten people for him, and there was that non-fatal shooting in Dixon Towers, the beating at the Basso house, the prison beating... there are really a lot of important, disturbing things I feel like have been swept away by the tide of his buffoonery.

I agree. Rob Ford in a licensed restaurant not drinking, not being disgraceful, possibly with his kids, is just a non-story, at Toronto, national and world levels. If the kids miss a couple of days of school to see their dad trying and more or less succeeding at not being horrible, good for all concerned at a personal level.

That all said, if RoFo comes back to Toronto, stays sober, but pretends that there's no reason to answer questions about brutal racism, homophobia, savage disrespect for autistic kids (that was Doug, I know, but if Rob says nothing about it, it's Rob, too), drunk driving, letting the horrifying Star story about March 5 2014 lie there without any attempt at rebuttal, enabling McRobb to drive loaded and possibly kill self or others, utter failure to be a competent municipal leader, etc., (Jesus, so hard to be comprehensive here, I'm sure I left out some big things), and just carries on as if he's a serious candidate for mayor, that is the time to bring out the giant metaphorical Rob-Ford-smashing hammer.

If the guy quits politics, I'll still really hate him, but will give him slightly-more-than-zero respect. (Especially if he's caught on video saying Doug is an asshole. Not holding my breath about that, but, fuck, that would be fun.)

Yup. All that!

He's never actually denied sending Sandro Lisi to threaten people for him, and there was that non-fatal shooting in Dixon Towers, the beating at the Basso house, the prison beating... there are really a lot of important, disturbing things I feel like have been swept away by the tide of his buffoonery.

I agree. I think that Rob's failures over the last few months are due to lack of intellect and self-control, and deep emotional problems, not a disciplined, nefarious plan to deflect attention from evidence of terrible violent criminality. But still, attention has been deflected.

Heroic Toronto-centred reporters would still be digging into the unanswered Rob Ford questions from twelve or more months ago.

Heroic, less Toronto-centred reporters know that Toronto's problems are envied in most places in the world. They're not really big problems compared to Ukraine, Nigeria, Syria, toughest First Nations communities in Canada, etc.

Last edited:
This, but not that. That, but not this, at this time. I'll just keep swinging my giant metaphorical Rob-Ford-smashing hammer. If he's in range, too damn bad.

Keep swinging! It's definitely better than doing nothing with the hammer, for many good reasons!

But build up some energy and aim at the most deserving targets. Rob-Ford-in-rehab-goes-to-restaurant-and-doesn't-fuck-up is less deserving than, Hey, why has there been near-zero pursuit by media and exactly-zero comment from Team Ford about, for example, what the hell was going on March 5 2014?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back