News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buses are faster than streetcars. Look at Roncevalles for example--it's much quicker via bus than streetcar. Streetcars sure look prettier though. In the suburbs, with crazy wide lanes, buses make for safer and quicker transit. When densities increase (no one can seriously argue that transit first condos later really works as the past decade has seen an explosion in condos in the GTA without that much transit improvements--the reality is most condo residents own cars) eventually subways can be built. Perhaps the real issue is zoning--allowing mixed industrial/residential uses--imagine huge warehouse/retail with condos and apartments (public and private) above.

Wrong. Streetcars feel like they are slower because they have a smoother ride. It is the single-occupant automobile that get in the way of streetcars that holds everyone up.

We need a race!

From Keele/Parkside to Victoria Park: Queen streetcar vs Eglinton bus. Which would win?

According to the ttc's route planner, they're practically the same!

Option 1

No transfers
Leaving at 8:01pm from THE QUEENSWAY AT PARKSIDE DRIVE
Using this route Streetcar 501 QUEEN towards NEVILLE PARK
Arriving at 9:03pm at QUEEN STREET WEST AT NEVILLE PARK BOULEVARD

Option 1

1 transfer
Leaving at 7:54pm from Accessible EGLINTON AVENUE WEST AT KEELE STREET
Using these routes Bus AccessibleBicycle Rack Available 32 EGLINTON WEST towards EGLINTON STATION
Bus AccessibleBicycle Rack Available 34C EGLINTON EAST towards KENNEDY STATION
Arriving at 8:58pm at Accessible EGLINTON AVENUE EAST AT VICTORIA PARK AVENUE FARSIDE

So, spend the big bucks for what reason exactly?

Of course, if you want to spend the big bucks properly, here's a good comparison: From Keele and Bloor to Danforth and Victoria Park via subway:

Option 1

1 transfer
Leaving at 8:20pm from KEELE STATION - EASTBOUND PLATFORM
Using these routes Subway/RT BLOOR-DANFORTH SUBWAY
Bus AccessibleBicycle Rack Available 113 DANFORTH ROAD towards KENNEDY STATION
Arriving at 8:57pm at Accessible DANFORTH AVENUE AT VICTORIA PARK AVENUE

With an extra 15 minutes added to my life, I could prepare a fresh meal daily for dinner for the wife and kids instead of eating frozen processed tv dinners.

Rob Ford-1; TC-0

Last edited:
Anyone know if his property tax freeze is for commerical as well ?

Buses are faster than streetcars

If, after all the debate and information presented here and elsewhere, you still view the TC lines as equivalent to the 501, then I really don't know what more can be said to you.

But in case it makes the slightest bit of difference, TC lines will be in their own median ROW with signal priority, completely unlike Queen. Projections for surface running (not including the Eglinton tunnel) are closer in speed to the closely spaced stations on the Bloor line than they are to a bus in mixed traffic.

But if it makes you feel better to slag TC by pointing to the 501, then feel free to wallow in ignorance.

All lines paid for by corporate stations with shopping etc and private condo developments. Zero height restrictions.

You've got to be kidding. Have you at all done any looking at what you might be able to charge private developers to build whatever they want on land the city (or the province given many of your proposed routes are out of Toronto) does not currently own and compared it to what it would cost to build your lines?

What possible motivation would a private entity have to pay $500 million more to build immediately on top of a station than they'd pay to build across the street or one block away?

Screw that, I want the maglev from my front door to my work. It should be set up so I don't have to take slow lame old-fashioned elevators on either end either.

Rob Ford will provide maglevs for all! Toronto will be the most magnetically levitated city on earth!

Dont get it, at one time the majority of the UT forumers were behind Subway systems being built and not second rated LRT lines..now that Rob Ford is in many of them are up in arms against LRT lines being scrapped for Subways. Makes me think that they zigzag betwen liking and hating the people that run Toronto, than what is right for Toronto.

AG:

What's "right" (if you assume subway = right, that is) for just Scarborough isn't what's right for the City of Toronto as a whole.

AoD

Dont get it, at one time the majority of the UT forumers were behind Subway systems being built and not second rated LRT lines..now that Rob Ford is in many of them are up in arms against LRT lines being scrapped for Subways. Makes me think that they zigzag betwen liking and hating the people that run Toronto, than what is right for Toronto.

People haven't changed their minds; UT just isn't the place it used to be as most of the respectable forumers (regardless of their politics) no longer participate in discussions regularly from what I can tell.

Interesting theory. Could you point out any particular forum members who have changed their view on the issue following the change in administration? Or, perhaps, it is more of a case of those who are unhappy with the current course are inevitabily the ones who yell loudest.

It's not a simple choice between LRTs and subways - it's about what's plausible versus what's unlikely. It's about seeing transit construction within the next decade.

It's similar to someone asking if you'd like a million dollars today or would rather gamble on potentially getting two million dollars in ten years, assuming a bunch of external factors come together.

That said, what I really want is the heavy rail DRL but I believe delaying suburban light rail lines to look at subway conversion will only push the DRL back further.

Ideally, yes, everyone wants subways, but we can't afford them at the moment -- not to the extent that the entire city requires. We have an acute gridlock problem that needs to be addressed immediately, and LRT is the fastest and most affordable solution to that problem in the short term. The LRT lines will naturally evolve into subways as needed in the long run, anyway.

Come on, AG. You're better than this. I keep seeing you make posts about "McGuinty's cronies," etc. Do you really want to be associated with these winners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back