News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I expect he will get back on the church and TCHC circuit. Yelling at the occasional pothole along the way. :)

Last edited:
I can see him not drinking until after the election, because the stakes are just way too high. If he does fall off, he will do so knowing it's his political death. Or he'll show the same level of insight and maturity we've all come to know and hate - thinking that he won't get caught.

If he doesn't drink/get caught, I can def. see him f'ing up in other ways that will hopefully add to the collateral damage. Like simply opening his mouth.

I'm with you, Oriana. The stakes are too high for him to get caught at anything between now and the election. That's going to give him a lot more will power. Also, I expect he's going to be surrounded by babysitters between now and Oct. 27. But that's all going to go away after the election. Win or lose, I expect he'll slide back into to his old habits in the weeks/months after voting day.

Matlow only bailed fully on Ford after they muscled away his radio show. Before that he was deep into his self-image as a conciliator who strove to give hearing to both sides of the divide. He was firmly stuck at 50% on Matt Elliott's Ford support chart. Since then he's been one of the most biting critics of Ford Nation insanity. He's like a guy who has had the optimistic beliefs of a first-term councillor ripped from his heart.

I'm with you, Oriana. The stakes are too high for him to get caught at anything between now and the election. That's going to give him a lot more will power. Also, I expect he's going to be surrounded by babysitters between now and Oct. 27. But that's all going to go away after the election. Win or lose, I expect he'll slide back into to his old habits in the weeks/months after voting day.

He has for years had handlers and babysitters but has eluded them, remember the Taste of the Danforth? If Robbie wants, Robbie gets, remember, he is a man-child.

I hope he stays sober, I cannot wish ill on someone who is dealing with a disease as such. But if he continues to find only blame in others, and entertain enablers... well we have seen the results in the lack of proper democratic leadership, and the attacks on people who question his fascist desires.

If he is bent on personal destruction, then we may only be tasked to watch Robbie play Nero.

Last edited:
Matlow only bailed fully on Ford after they muscled away his radio show. Before that he was deep into his self-image as a conciliator who strove to give hearing to both sides of the divide. He was firmly stuck at 50% on Matt Elliott's Ford support chart. Since then he's been one of the most biting critics of Ford Nation insanity. He's like a guy who has had the optimistic beliefs of a first-term councillor ripped from his heart.
I agree, he started out playing as one of the team. Then he realized that Ford was a complete idiot and has done a fantastic job putting pressure on Ford, especially the LRT fiasco. I think Josh would make a great mayor down the road a bit, when he is just a bit more experienced in the political arena.

i dunno. where ford's really gone on benders in the past couple of years is when the pressure's been on with certain trigger events. i'd look for him to relapse if he, say, loses big at council, take a drubbing in a debate, or loses some key allies in the city (like at TCHC). the deco investigation and project brazen 2 remain as spoilers.

it seems like his desperate need for attention hasn't gone away either, so he'll be feeding that particular addition with earnest. good call on the TCHC campaigning, and probably lots of appearances at churches (and maybe, since he's got such awful judgement, some nightclubs).

such an odd situation with rob. chemical dependency, yes, but also so much else: bad judgement, huge sense of entitlement, messed up family life, an army of enablers, an unlimited budget, constant media attention. . . will rehab fix any of that? and, when it comes to the acid test - reaching for the bottle/pipe at the end of a long, terrible day of disappointment and stress - is he going to have the self-awareness and restraint, even when nobody's looking, to say, "no, this is not the answer."

- is he going to have the self-awareness and restraint, even when nobody's looking, to say, "no, this is not the answer."

Probably like some other choices in life. Partly depends on your "moral compass", and partly depends on if you get caught.

From what I understand of addiction, if he really is addicted to alcohol and/or drugs high stakes won't be enough to stop him from using. The cravings will be extremely strong. Further, RoFo didn't want to stop drinking and drugging; he was having a great time with it until he was forced to go to rehab. He has no actual will to change.

And even without addiction, Rob Ford is terrible at delaying gratification, resisting temptation, or obeying any kind of direction. He feels entitled to do whatever he wants whenever he wants; he doesn't consider the possible consequences. He's openly defiant towards most people who try to control or influence him, and covertly defiant towards his family and his "babysitters". Think about the symbolism of smoking crack with Kathy right in MoFo's back yard. It's a big passive-aggressive fuck-you to family expectations.

TL;DR: when he wants to get drunk and/or smoke crack he's going to do it.

From what I understand of addiction, if he really is addicted to alcohol and/or drugs high stakes won't be enough to stop him from using. The cravings will be extremely strong. Further, RoFo didn't want to stop drinking and drugging; he was having a great time with it until he was forced to go to rehab. He has no actual will to change.

And even without addiction, Rob Ford is terrible at delaying gratification, resisting temptation, or obeying any kind of direction. He feels entitled to do whatever he wants whenever he wants; he doesn't consider the possible consequences. He's openly defiant towards most people who try to control or influence him, and covertly defiant towards his family and his "babysitters". Think about the symbolism of smoking crack with Kathy right in MoFo's back yard. It's a big passive-aggressive fuck-you to family expectations.

TL;DR: when he wants to get drunk and/or smoke crack he's going to do it.

You and Expat make great points. I think you're both right, especially in the big picture. But I have a really hard time wrapping my head around the idea that Rob is going throw away his last chance. I'm not saying he won't, just that I have a hard time imagining anyone doing it. But that's me, and we're talking Rob Ford. Who knows what's going to happen next. My wish is that he gets busted for DUI (on an empty road, before he meets any traffic) during the weekend. That will make him go away, for sure, and offer at least a touch of comeuppance for the crap he's gotten away with to date.

Last edited:
You and Expat make great points. I think you're both right, especially in the big picture. But I have a really hard time wrapping my head around the idea that Rob is going throw away his last chance. I'm not saying he won't, just that I have a hard time imagining anyone doing it. But that's me, and we're talking Rob Ford. Who knows what's going to happen next. My wish is that he gets busted for DUI (on an empty road, before he meets any traffic) during the weekend. That will make go away, for sure, and offer at least a touch of comeuppance for the crap he's gotten away with to date.

good call - that would be a fitting end. i want to be a bigger man and say i don't wish ford ill, but frankly i have a deep inner sense of justice, and ford offends that sense basically every day. comeuppance, please!

as for his prognosis, it was a huge red flag to me when he started talking about rehab being "amazing." to a man several years into serious cross-addictions to booze, food, pills, and powder, with an imploding career and a desperate family life, rehab should've been hell. it should have been the first time in a long time when he was forced to take a long, hard, sober look at cold reality, and start coming to terms with things.

instead, it was lunch at crabby joes, some swims in the pool, and regular phone calls with his buddies back in the city.

You and Expat make great points. I think you're both right, especially in the big picture. But I have a really hard time wrapping my head around the idea that Rob is going throw away his last chance. I'm not saying he won't, just that I have a hard time imagining anyone doing it. But that's me, and we're talking Rob Ford. Who knows what's going to happen next. My wish is that he gets busted for DUI (on an empty road, before he meets any traffic) during the weekend. That will make go away, for sure, and offer at least a touch of comeuppance for the crap he's gotten away with to date.

He hasn't at all hit rock bottom. Meaning his gimmie one last chance has no thought behind it.

The ford bros also actually think they are ahead of the game. That kind of false sense of security doesn't come from holding shit together well.

My vote is something stupid is said/done/documented within the first two weeks.

He hasn't at all hit rock bottom. Meaning his gimmie one last chance has no thought behind it.

The ford bros also actually think they are ahead of the game. That kind of false sense of security doesn't come from holding shit together well.

My vote is something stupid is said/done/documented within the first two weeks.
Do I detect a new pool starting? If so, count me in, he'll say or do something stupid, probably on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back