News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't really get upset about him not sticking around. Just showing his face, in principle, is enough to send the message that Toronto's mayor isn't homophobic.

Just read on Twitter that Mayor Rob Ford has read a proclamation at the flag raising on International Day Against Homophobia.

Photo of RoFo, a crowd and a rainbow flag: http://twitpic.com/9m3dwf

As Effie (in Dreamgirls) sings, "Look at me, looook at meeeee. I AM CHANGING..."

Who knows, Grand Marshall of the Pride parade may be next...

---------------

Edit to add: CP24 coverage: Ford makes surprise appearance at flag raising

As someone tweeted: Rob Ford comes out (of City Hall)

Edit to add: Toronto Star: Surprise! Mayor Rob Ford appears at gay event

I called it! Actually, about two weeks ago I posted here that I was confident he'd be at the flag raising for the beginning of Pride Week - which I still stand by.
Good on him!

He did the 'right thing'. I'm not going to do back flips. He is the Mayor (for the time being, at least) and, as such, attending this event (which holds a lot of significance to many people in the city), should always be on his calendar.

Yeah, before we all rush to pat him on the back, let's remember that our mayor doing the right thing is still the newsworthy exception.

glad he did it, but it takes more than 1 gesture for me to change my opinion of him considering the many other comments, etc he's said/done

I can't really get upset about him not sticking around. Just showing his face, in principle, is enough to send the message that Toronto's mayor isn't homophobic.

Yup. If the principle of the matter was that he should at least show his face, and he has done so, then how can we fault him for not sticking around?

In honour of Rob Ford of actually doing his mayoralty duty by showing up at one event for 20 minutes, we propose that the Green Lane Landfill site (where Toronto's garbage is shipped to) be renamed the Rob Ford Landfill site...

...if the plastic bag fee is withdrawn by city council on Rob's wishes.

When I first saw the image of Ford at said event, what jumped out was the seemingly (deceptively?) "mediating" presence of Wong-Tam over his shoulder...

Yeah, before we all rush to pat him on the back, let's remember that our mayor doing the right thing is still the newsworthy exception.

National news at that, CBC's "The National" covered his surprise appearance before the first commercial break, and before the sad news on the passing of Donna Summer. I think there's some irony there somewhere...

Yeah, there's something about his quick exit that reminds me of some guy making a quick getaway from the rub & tug, hoping people won't notice...

I'm just glad no on shouted him down like they did Nunziata at last year's Pride flag raising. Hopefully the warmer reception will keep him open to attending similar events in the future.

I'm not a great fan of R. Ford, but I commend his appearance at the Flag raising. Finally he has done something that befits his position as Mayor of Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back