News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ari Goldkind said he was having a 'meet and greet' next Tuesday, somewhere near Roncesvalles. He has been very plain spoken to date. I agree with whoever said that they would like to see him and Ford in a debate. AG is used to cross examining people. :)

Love to see AG turn a debate into a cross examination.

Last edited:
So on Twitter, and here, and in the G&M comments on last night's debate, there is a common thread of "I really like Socknacki/he's the only one with real policies/he's the only one with real numbers/but he won't win/voting for him would be the waste of a vote".

Are we in collective fallacy land, are we just being way too timid, or are we still not completely able to count out the King of TCHC?

A quick look back at Calgary situation: three months before the 2010 meryl election, Nenshi was polling at 1%. That increased to 12% and 8% at subsequent polls. He won with 40% of the vote.

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/10...hind-and-win-a-mayoral-campaign-nenshi-style/

Perhaps Socknacki is no Nenshi, I can hear you saying. But Socknacki could do the things that worked for Nenshi - engaging young people (Socknacki already talks about innovation efforts to get young people from college to meaningful work and was the only one in last night's debate to discuss something other than magic wands), winning social media (i.e., anything but the sniping going on between Kinsella and Kouvlakis, the two men I'd least want to spend eternity with), and focussing on starting conversations everywhere.

This^

The Fords would prefer to lose to Chow than to anybody else; Rob has said it himself. It seems like they have a lot more respect for her than the conservatives running. Doug apparently even applauded one of Chow's lines about Tory not knowing what he's talking about at the municipal level.

I suspect all the conservatives on Council would welcome a Chow administration, if only because they have left the budget teetering on the hope of way more revenue coming in from the Land Transfer Tax than Staff is predicting. During the budget debate, I watched as supposedly responsible men just kept increasing the estimate based on nothing more than getting their tax increase down to the puny percentage that Ford had pulled out of his ass at the beginning for the process.

If housing sales fall short of that estimate (which is a number higher than Toronto has ever seen), the next administration will have no choice but to increase property taxes, a lot. I may be wrong, but I believe I heard an increase of 14% being bandied about.

So just as Miller suffered for fixing the similar mess Lastman left, Olivia's tax-and-spend reputation will be forever sealed, paving the way for the resurgence of Ford Nation in 2018.

The Fords would prefer to lose to Chow than to anybody else; Rob has said it himself. It seems like they have a lot more respect for her than the conservatives running. Doug apparently even applauded one of Chow's lines about Tory not knowing what he's talking about at the municipal level.

Druggie and John used to be on the same team. Tory running for mayor? And bringing on Kouvalis to boot? For a family so caught up in godfather-style loyalty, this is a major slap in the face. It brings me back to 2006 when Tory went to kiss Dianne's ring before throwing his hat in the ring. She said "This time you have my blessing, but next time it's Robbie's turn". Well, to the Ford's, it's still Robbie's turn. And they are kicking rocks all the way home and taking their toys with them because Tory is trying to ruin that turn.

Even though Tory is closer to them ideologically, to them it's not about actually having the best City, it's personal. The Fords don't want subways for the taxpayers of Scarborough unless they are the ones who do it.

Another layer is that they want Chow to win so that in 2018 they can come back to sweep the lefty gravy train back out of town. A Tory led government in which the sky doesn't fall would be much tougher to rail against.

And maybe Soknacki isn't the guy, maybe he doesn't have the qualities that made Neshi successful, but we can't have someone fresh come along unless we're willing to give candidates like him the chance. It was decided a year and a half ago that Chow and Tory were the only ones we could be certain could save us from Ford. They pretty much made us beg them to join the race, although it never really seemed in doubt that either of them would run for Mayor. But they're a lot like Smitherman, party insiders stepping in from above who prove in the bright light of the campaign to be uninspiring, weak in the face of Ford's lies and piggishness. It's sad given the insult that is the Fords to any notion of Toronto as a progressive city, that Chow and Tory are the only alternatives we could imagine.

Last edited:
According to RFMG on twitter, Sobriety Coach hasn't been seen at CH since the Globe article. Loose lips.......

From visible at all times to not at all... safe to say Bobby's been sent packing? Hopefully media adds this to the questioning they will shout at Ford to no avail, eh?

From visible at all times to not at all... safe to say Bobby's been sent packing? Hopefully media adds this to the questioning they will shout at Ford to no avail, eh?
I wonder which of the following applies:

1) Rob's all better now and doesn't need a babysitter
2) Ford knows he's going to lose so why waste the money on fake Sobriety Coach
3) Sobriety Coach has gone on bender

I've heard it mentioned enough times that Ford's face was back to its Coke Classic shade of scarlet last night...

I know this is a really pessimistic way of looking at things, but I figure if we take Chow/Tory for this 4year term, then that gives us the freedom to elect a Nenshi/Socknacki in 4 years...because if Ford has no job (no city hall, no coaching) do you really think he'll come back in 4 years all ready for the mayoralty? As sad as it is, look how downhill he went WITH having responsibilities...without them, do we think he'll do LESS partying? It's scary, but he'll be lucky to be alive in 4 years, let alone clean and ready for a fight.

As sad as it is, look how downhill he went WITH having responsibilities...without them, do we think he'll do LESS partying?

There is a chance that he might party less being out of the public eye. He uses chemicals (alcohol & various other drugs) as a coping mechanism - and he needs more of it when he gets more stressed.

But having said that, I don't think he'll truly get better (in regards to his addictions) until he decides in his own head that he wants to make a life change. He's clearly not at that place right now... or for the near term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back