8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like him, but
Lately I've seen this kind of statement from a few people who enjoy arguing in support of Ford's policies. It's as if they have no faith in him to actually accomplish anything positive, yet his mayoralty serves a bitter need they have to see some group they believe to be coddled and pampered (homosexuals, cyclists, lefties, downtown elitists) meet their comeuppance.

Seriously, drop it already. For goodness sakes. Why is there such an obsession with Mayor Ford not attending the pride parade? Get over your pompous selves and move on. And why is it that pride this year falls on Canada Day? Is there such narcissism among some gay people that they need to steal the spotlight from our national day of celebration? This nagging on about the mayor's disinterest with the parade has gone beyond o.c.d. tendencies. Him disagreeing with the parade doesn't mean he hates homosexuals. Some of you guys have such tunnel vision. I feel bad for modest homosexuals, who also happen to be indifferent towards the parade. Unfortunately, they're lumped in with the stereotypical flamboyant loud mouths. I guess they're not proud of their sexuality, right, because they don't flaunt it?

That's a coincidence. And since when did we care about Canada Day like that? This isn't America. Ford should not use July 1 as screen?

Just because he's mayor, that doesn't mean he also isn't a free citizen. He isn't breaking the law.

I really hope we can set the bar for mayoral conduct a little higher than simply obeying the law! He's not some random private citizen -- he's the mayor; it's a job; there are duties. If we, his employers, feel that he's not adequately performing those duties, it's completely appropriate to speak out about it.

Why can't those who favour pride give Ford the same treatment? He isn't stripping you of your rights, so what's the big deal?

Again, I would hope we could expect a bit more from our mayor than simply not stripping people of their rights.

How would you feel if your roles were reversed and the event in question was something you had no interest in or even a strong dislike for,

If it was my job, then I'd suck it up and do it. Who hasn't occasionally had to do things they hated for a job? You can suck it up and do it, or you can call in sick. Ford is taking the call-in-sick route.

But Ford won't be fired for not attending Pride, like one might be for not conforming to a certain demand in a regular job.

Not necessarily! We'll have our chance to fire or re-hire Ford in a little over two years. Even if he only loses one vote over this, that could end up being the one vote he needed to keep his job. I'm not saying that's what will happen, just that, in reality, his job is on the line in every action he takes.

I doubt Ford would gain much, if anything by going to the parade

The big issue is not the parade. It's the flag-raising, which took place right outside his office and was attended by the majority of council. I don't care if he goes to the parade, but the flag-raising is the kind of official city ceremony that the mayor should be expected to attend.

Four Rivers, you've got some nerve defending the Mayor for not attending today's flag raising which is his part of his duties to do whether he likes it or not - and no, there's no humping men there. For the second year in a row he just spat in the face of every member of our community along with our families, friends, supporters and the tens of thousands of tourists who flock to this city for the event and spend their hard earned money at a massive festival which traditionally takes place the last weekend of June. It's not about a parade anymore and unfortunately, we can't fire his lying ass.

Get it?

Are we going to have to go through this same argument every year?

It's in his job description, so yes, he has to go. Anyone that says otherwise is ignorant of what it means to be mayor, or has for some reason decided to defend Ford's prejudiced/bigoted views.

You'll have to ask yourself and those in your community for that answer. You're the ones who are augmenting the issue by not letting it go and giving the gay community a very insecure voice.

What politician has ever followed their job description to a T? Can you prove that Ford is prejudiced or bigoted? Those are subjective terms. Others will disagree with those sentiments. Moral judgements can't be scientifically proven to be right or wrong, so good luck with that.

Really? There wasn't much of an argument on here until you came along and inflamed it by indicating that the mayor shouldn't have to do his job. As for his prejudiced beliefs, evidence has been given many times in this thread that go well beyond his refusal to participate in any Pride events and links have been provided. If you actually care and aren't just trying to get a rise out of people, feel free to educate yourself.

For someone who has only been on here for slightly over a day, someone certainly has contributed much. In fact, I'd say this individual sounds awfully familiar, no? Buckethead? Steven Bodrug again eh? Like seriously, can you go crawl back to Valu-Mart?

And speaking of OCD, here is a list of your handles on here - by no means complete:

Tarantulal Downpours
Johnny Utah
Roman Craig
Mystery White Boy
Dugmor
DenzilMinnan-Wongshington
Funnel Weaver
Garth The Butcher
John Revolta
Night of the Slunk
Padamasana
Prolix Mood
TrappedInABathFartBubble
Whatevas
Midnight Cheddar Harvest

AoD

Last edited:
For someone who has only been on here for slightly over a day, someone certainly has contributed much. In fact, I'd say this individual sounds awfully familiar, no? Buckethead? Steven Bodrug again eh? Like seriously, can you go crawl back to Valu-Mart?

And speaking of OCD, here is a list of your handles on here - by no means complete:

Tarantulal Downpours
Johnny Utah
Roman Craig
Mystery White Boy
Dugmor
DenzilMinnan-Wongshington
Funnel Weaver
Garth The Butcher
John Revolta
Night of the Slunk
Padamasana
Prolix Mood
TrappedInABathFartBubble
Whatevas
Midnight Cheddar Harvest

AoD

I read this post from the bottom up and thought at first it was some kind of list of indie rock bands playing at PRIDE. I was looking forward to seeing Midnight Cheddar Harvest.

sammy-davis-kissing-archie-bunker.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back