News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes... and? Presidents Bush and Clinton didn't campaign for re-election during business hours? Harper... Chretien? Come on, none of this is some kind of precedent. Incumbents have an advantage; that's just how it is. I agree -- have some rules and try to promote as much fairness as possible, but incumbents will always have some degree of advantage and there's no amount of rules & regs that can create a 100-per cent level playing field. It's fine to complain about constructive stuff like using City Hall resources for campaigning, but some of this stuff is total fantasy. People are not somehow going to 'forget' who the incumbent is and treat everyone equally, or split themselves in half and listen with a different part of the brain to Candidate Ford vs Mayor Ford. Even if he makes his candidate announcements after 5 pm.

When the MAYOR schedules an announcement to talk about city business, the press is kind of obligated to show up. When he talks about city business for 5 minutes and his campaign for 20, then he's used his position solely to promote himself.

Its not ethical. It may not bug you, but it bugs me. As to your misdirection, the fact that others do it too, doesn't make it right.

A website about eCigs lists studies in favour of eCigs. Not exactly a surprise. But I will point out that the discrepancies between headlines and body copy of the example you listed:

Headline: "It’s Official: Big Pharma is Lobbying Against Electronic Cigarettes- Dr. Michael Siegel"
Body copy: According to an article in the London Times, GlaxoSmithKline – a major player in the pharmaceutical smoking cessation industry – has lobbied vigorously on behalf of stringent electronic cigarette regulation in the European Union.

Against ≠ stringent regulation.

I will also mention that comparative studies (where someone uses a third party's collected data) are different control group studies (such as the original one I posted). The first is more easily prone to error, confirmation bias and manipulation. Likewise, blog posts, opinion pieces and

Second: there are also a lot of articles in the list that seem to dismiss known things like toxicity levels of chemicals, etc.

Third; scare tactics work on some people, but not me. An ingredient list isn't going to scare me, nor does it prove anything. I'm not a fear-mongering chemophobe hippie. I'm a former line cook with a deep interest in food science (and science in general). Pseudoscience is NOT science. Long chemical names does not mean they're bad. Great, eCigs have fewer carcinogens. Tobacco's bad, that's why they're controlled. Nicotine however, IS BAD in both cigarettes and eCigs.

If you'd like to have an argument based on emotion, rather than science, I can indulge:

Nicotine is rat poison. Why do eCig retailers sell liquid rat poison in kid-friendly flavours like liquorice, cotton candy and bubblegum?

See how that works? Far more moving than science, but completely irrational and appealing entirely to emotion.

The crux of my argument, and the crux of the argument of those looking to regulate eCigs is that nicotine is a toxic substance that shouldn't be a) available in uncontrolled dosages, b) aerosolized where others can be exposed to it or c) treated as anything less than a controlled toxic substance. I have seen nothing in anything you've posted to argue against that.

You don't want to have to leave a restaurant to smoke an eCig; tough. You don't have the right to expose *anyone* to known toxic chemicals out of your own convenience.

Oh, and what's to stop pharmaceutical companies from selling eCigs? That's right, nothing. And there goes your anti-Big Pharma argument with one tiny statement of sound reason.

Lack of rational thought and reason is why many of us here dislike Ford and Ford Nation; and I for one would prefer the self-interested emotional fear mongering stay with the IHTWOMRF folks.

A website about eCigs lists studies in favour of eCigs. Not exactly a surprise. But I will point out that the discrepancies between headlines and body copy of the example you listed:

Headline: "It’s Official: Big Pharma is Lobbying Against Electronic Cigarettes- Dr. Michael Siegel"
Body copy: According to an article in the London Times, GlaxoSmithKline – a major player in the pharmaceutical smoking cessation industry – has lobbied vigorously on behalf of stringent electronic cigarette regulation in the European Union.

Against ≠ stringent regulation.

I will also mention that comparative studies (where someone uses a third party's collected data) are different control group studies (such as the original one I posted). The first is more easily prone to error, confirmation bias and manipulation. Likewise, blog posts, opinion pieces and

Second: there are also a lot of articles in the list that seem to dismiss known things like toxicity levels of chemicals, etc.

Third; scare tactics work on some people, but not me. An ingredient list isn't going to scare me, nor does it prove anything. I'm not a fear-mongering chemophobe hippie. I'm a former line cook with a deep interest in food science (and science in general). Pseudoscience is NOT science. Long chemical names does not mean they're bad. Great, eCigs have fewer carcinogens. Tobacco's bad, that's why they're controlled. Nicotine however, IS BAD in both cigarettes and eCigs.

If you'd like to have an argument based on emotion, rather than science, I can indulge:

Nicotine is rat poison. Why do eCig retailers sell liquid rat poison in kid-friendly flavours like liquorice, cotton candy and bubblegum?

See how that works? Far more moving than science, but completely irrational and appealing entirely to emotion.

The crux of my argument, and the crux of the argument of those looking to regulate eCigs is that nicotine is a toxic substance that shouldn't be a) available in uncontrolled dosages, b) aerosolized where others can be exposed to it or c) treated as anything less than a controlled toxic substance. I have seen nothing in anything you've posted to argue against that.

You don't want to have to leave a restaurant to smoke an eCig; tough. You don't have the right to expose *anyone* to known toxic chemicals out of your own convenience.

Oh, and what's to stop pharmaceutical companies from selling eCigs? That's right, nothing. And there goes your anti-Big Pharma argument with one tiny statement of sound reason.

Lack of rational thought and reason is why many of us here dislike Ford and Ford Nation; and I for one would prefer the self-interested emotional fear mongering stay with the IHTWOMRF folks.

OK guys, please. Can we move the ecigs discussion elsewhere?

Kinda wish they would take him up on this. I don't know -- maybe I'm naive -- but I don't think Tory, Chow, Soknacki or Goldkind are going to test positive. And if candidates other than those 3 do, who really cares? What's he trying to prove with this dare?? Is he targetting these comments at Stintz? She is irrelevant to the race anyways (even including Sok and Ari in there was generous on my part; didn't include Thomson since she just submitted her test results).

I'm pretty sure he'd just move the goalposts through the b-listers (Ari Goldkind) and c-listers (Nikki Benz) until he finds some mayoral candidate unwilling to do it, then complain that because they all won't do it, he doesn't have to.

Jonathan Goldsbie ‏@goldsbie 25s
Rob Ford has officially pulled out of this Thursday's Heritage Toronto debate.

“I can’t wait obviously to get into the debates

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/more/loca...-ford-won-t-run-in-ontario-election-1.1695540

"It's a dismal debate with dismal candidates, as far as I'm concerned," Ford says. "When Rob gets back, game on."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...work-in-4-or-5-weeks-doug-ford-says-1.2655635

"I can't wait to get in there and debate Chow and Tory."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2014/06/02/21710471.html

When asked if he thought he’d won the debate, the mayor said “absolutely,†adding that he “can’t wait†for the many more to come.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-2014-toronto-mayoral-debate/article17687289/

[tinfoilhat]I wonder if candidates were sent a list of questions and the Fords realized that the meat of the debate wouldn't be full of LTT-type softballs. From what I can tell, it's likely to be more left-leaning than the Tamil one.

Then they hastily put together this weaksauce fundraiser at the exact same time to keep attention on them[/tinfoilhat]

I wonder if they will let media in, especially if they bought a ticket. This is a situation where they need the media, but having them there could be dangerous as well. Also, if I was a reporter and going to the fundraiser, I'd be sniffing out how many people were given tickets as opposed to paying for them.

It was a strange kind of admission: 'Even if Rob does do crack, so what? I could tell you stories about the rest of council ...' and it was taken up by large segments of Ford Nation as well as crypto-Fordites such as that weaselly twerp George Sawision running in Ward 19, who's still bitter about being dumped by Olivia years ago and is now implying she's a pothead.

Sawision is an odd duck, lemmetellya. Late last year he claimed he had information that would destroy Olivia's campaign if she decided to run, now ignores any and all questions about what that was. He also has bizarre infatuations with Bombardier, Mike Layton and the NDP. Everything's an NDP conspiracy, donchaknow. He's the only one fighting for Ward 19! He's the King of Kensington in his own mind; claiming he goes around helping everyone and that they all know his name and no one would have any representation at City Hall if it weren't for him (despite never having been a council member).

I took a look at his last large campaign donor list ($100+). It was seven people, and at least five of them were direct family members (i.e.; named Sawision or at the same address as a Sawision) including some in Burlington, yet he acts as though he's loved by the community. When does he have time to get around Ward 19? The dude spends more time on twitter than most celebrity twitter addicts.

Oriana, Do you think that we should sell e-cigs to minors?

Absolutely not. Every single vendor, online or otherwise, is strict about not selling to minors.

The ecig community welcomes some regulation. Unless there are the odd delinquents somewhere, and I don't know of any or have heard of any, vendors are very strict about juice quality, ingredients, devices, selling to minors. If something unethical is found out, the community is typically up in arms about it. The last thing they want is to jeporadize the industry. I can not emphasize that enough.

The only companies currently marketing ecigs that reach youth are the big tobacco companies.

There is also much discussion about second hand vapor, and as a rule people are considerate. I certainly will not vape if someone asks me not to. There are always idiots out there in every aspect of life, but that is another can of worms.

The problem is that the potential negative aspects are very overblown and abound with misinformation. A few studies have been done on young people turning to ecigs, and so far they have found that only youth currently smoking cigarettes use ecigs.

It is a harm reduction device. It's 100 times better than smoking. People are seriously over reacting. Quebec wants to ban ecig use in public, and yet cigarettes are smoked in public. Flavoured alcohol, I mean c'mon, let's argue about that if we want to restict ecig juice flavours.

Study Suggests Electronic Cigarettes Are Not Gateway
Widespread European study shows just 1.1% of non-smokers have tried e-cigarettes
http://www.cspnet.com/category-news...uggests-electronic-cigarettes-are-not-gateway

Last edited:
i love how he's likely not sober while he tells us he is. here's video...

http://en.video.canoe.tv/archive/source/tmz/ford-on-drug-testing/3740524139001

he asks, why am i different? um... aren't you the one candidate that's running after (and while) being in rehab?!?!?

please please please... all other top running candidates take the test so rob 'has to'. that's in quotes 'cause we know he won't anyway... or he'll use someone else sample to be tested, etc.

i sense another buzz-cut coming. to anyone around robbie today... snag some of his hair if you can!

I'm pretty sure he'd just move the goalposts through the b-listers (Ari Goldkind) and c-listers (Nikki Benz) until he finds some mayoral candidate unwilling to do it, then complain that because they all won't do it, he doesn't have to.
Nikki's a d-cup-lister.

Sawision is an odd duck, lemmetellya. Late last year he claimed he had information that would destroy Olivia's campaign if she decided to run, now ignores any and all questions about what that was. He also has bizarre infatuations with Bombardier, Mike Layton and the NDP. Everything's an NDP conspiracy, donchaknow. He's the only one fighting for Ward 19! He's the King of Kensington in his own mind; claiming he goes around helping everyone and that they all know his name and no one would have any representation at City Hall if it weren't for him (despite never having been a council member).

I took a look at his last large campaign donor list ($100+). It was seven people, and at least five of them were direct family members (i.e.; named Sawision or at the same address as a Sawision) including some in Burlington, yet he acts as though he's loved by the community. When does he have time to get around Ward 19? The dude spends more time on twitter than most celebrity twitter addicts.

His whole MO is to imply things and then back off. And yes, he sees an NDP conspiracy in everything, especially the media. And also everyone else supposedly rips off his ideas. Even if that were true, he's so disingenuous as to be completely unintelligible and ultimately unelectable.

And I have no idea what he actually does. He certainly doesn't seem to be working as an electrician anymore.

Well, this is the thing. He knows this is something that's never going to happen---because it's insane---so he uses it as an excuse to not do it himself. "Why should I do it if they don't have to?`` BECAUSE YOU'RE AN ADMITTED CRACK ADDICT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back