8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenny Yuen @SunReporterYuen
#BillMurray on #RobFord:"I haven't met him personally, but he's running again, he's running right now, but he's in the lead, right?" #topoli

#BillMurray found out #ford is #2 in mayoral race: "Well, he's still got a shot at it..." 1/2 #TOpoli

"You know, sometimes St. Paul was a tough guy for a long time and he turned out OK. I hope the best for Rob Ford," #billmurray said. #topoli

Bill Murray on Rob Ford.

Doolittle's article tonight is advance publicity for her expanded/updated edition of Crazy Town, to be released September 16.

Ah. That would explain why her Globe article uses the same space-wasting filler play-by-play technique as her book. Exhibit A:

Four days after arriving at The Globe, my new phone pinged with a message, subject line: ROBFORD.

“Are you still interested in Rob Ford? I might have a new video you wanna see,” wrote someone claiming to be named Jermaine Kabongo.It was about 10:30 p.m. on Saturday and I was out with friends celebrating my major life change. I set down my beer and fired off a quick response, “Who isn’t interested in Rob Ford?”

He replied right away, “What if I tell you I have a new video of the mayor … doing something he promised not to do again.”

“I’d say that’s interesting. When, where, what… etc,” I wrote.

He didn’t reply and I carried on with my night. Ever since the Garrison Ball story, I’d been getting tips like these every few months. Most of the time, it was just someone trying to mess with me.

Exhibit B:

When we turned off the highway, I called the tipster. He told us to park at the Chuck E. Cheese somewhere out in the open and then he and his friend would come find us.

“Chuck E. Cheese?” Mr. McArthur double-checked.

“Chuck E. Cheese.”

A few minutes later, we saw the mouse. We parked at the north end of the lot and I stood outside the car.

I'm all for learning about the hot pursuit of a story - can be really interesting. But I find Doolittle's style of doing it irritating - like it's either pointless filler or insipid navel gazing.

Probably both.

Last edited:
Did the crowd laugh at Ford this time? I was out for the evening.

Crowd laughed when he promised he'd be able to work with council by pointing to his record. And they laughed at at least one Tory zinger at Ford's expense, though I don't recall the joke.

They also gasped when Ford said to Tory "I wont' call you what I want to call you" and were dead silent after most of his answers. This was not a Ford-friendly crowd, which surprised me - IIRC Forum polls usually show high support for Ford in the 55+ demo.

Ah. That would explain why her Globe article uses the same space-wasting filler play-by-play technique as her book. Exhibit A:

I'm all for learning about the hot pursuit of a story - can be really interesting. But I find Doolittle's style of doing it irritating - like it's either pointless filler or insipid navel gazing.

Probably both.

Yeah, okay reporter. Bad writer. Still, as a reporter, she got the story that really changed everything. She's recognized the opportunity she's stumbled upon and one has to appreciate her entrepreneurial instinct (and the tenacious pursuit thereof).

Anyway. as they would say in Boston, "Fordeen mwah yeeahrs"!

Shocking just shocking. IHTWOMRF is not trumpeting the annihilation of the competition at the debate tonight particularly J Tory and his inability to answer R Ford's civil questioning re Eglinton...I was sure they'd be singing from the rooftops would the imminent landslide majority victory by R Ford

Exhibit B:

Probably both.

Hmmm........I kinda liked the detail play by play myself.

Exhibit B:

Probably both.

It's an excerpt from the book. That's why it reads very differently from a newspaper article. The Star published a similar "article" right before the first edition was published.

I find the behind the scenes info fascinating.

Shocking just shocking. IHTWOMRF is not trumpeting the annihilation of the competition at the debate tonight particularly J Tory and his inability to answer R Ford's civil questioning re Eglinton...I was sure they'd be singing from the rooftops would the imminent landslide majority victory by R Ford

Instead he's throwing all his weight behind Mike Ford on Twitter. He's implying he's got some secret knowledge about how great Mike Ford is and how he'll be able to easily destroy Andray Domise in a debate.

Yeah, okay reporter. Bad writer. Still, as a reporter, she got the story that really changed everything. She's recognized the opportunity she's stumbled upon and one has to appreciate her entrepreneurial instinct (and the tenacious pursuit thereof).

Robyn is a great shoe-leather reporter. Her reputation for getting sources and digging up the story was well-established long before Ford. It's no accident she was a key member of the team that broke the crack story. As a writer, meh. She has a lot learn about structuring and reporting long-form pieces. That's quite common among daily news people. They don't get called on to do it very often, so they don't always develop the skills. Not that it's important. You've got nothing if you don't have the info. Robyn's style is fine by me.

Anyway. as they would say in Boston, "Fordeen mwah yeeahrs"!

Fair enough, and I probably should have balanced my comments by noting that she did break a huge story and she's willing to work her sources hard. I certainly admire that - her story on the Garrison Ball was brave and risky. It's just the writing I find tedious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back